Author Topic: Costa Rica - Samara  (Read 3322 times)

mbarnhar

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Costa Rica - Samara
« on: April 01, 2008, 05:40:07 PM »
Sort of off-topic because I didn't SUP there but I learned to surf in Samara, Costa Rica last week. I've been windsurfing for almost 25 years and been SUP'ing on my local lake for almost a year now. I now plan to start SUP'ing in the NC ocean waves as soon as I can (when there's no wind to windsurf). Anyway, Samara would be a great spot to SUP because they have some offshore reefs that are dying to be surfed but too far to swim out to. Would be an easy paddle out and catch those waves. No one in Samara has SUP boards yet....I'm sure that will change. If you're interested in my trip report with pics and videos, which included our family of 5, check out:
http://thewaterturtle.blogspot.com

Mac

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Costa Rica - Samara
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 07:19:16 PM »
Looks like a great trip. My wife and I have talked about Costa Rica a few times but never made the trip. Sounds like its worth it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica - Samara
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 05:53:08 PM »
Whoever is thinking about it - go now !!  Costa Rica is slowly but surely become a much more mainstream destination.  I have been going there for about 10 years now and each year gets a little further and further from the place I knew on the first trip.  The unspoiled spots are getting harder to find.  Nosara and Samara are still OK, but much more crowded in the lineup.  My last trip to Nosara in Feb, I counted 75+ in the lineup for a sunset session (waist high +).  Get it while you can !!
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal