Author Topic: a wood paddle is taking shape  (Read 21101 times)

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
a wood paddle is taking shape
« on: March 31, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »
it's taken the better part of a year studying about paddle building, related wood and its structure, standard practices old and new, etc... before finally feeling that i'm ready to start testing out some different concepts. it wouldn't be a problem for me to vacuum laminate a "carbon  copy" of an existing model but i'm more interested in finding out if some of my own ideas have any validity to them. it would be nice to experiment on different types of wood lamination in the future, but for now i'm keeping it real basic.

this weekend i started building a wood paddle. i'm basically carving it out of a poplar board approximately 2" x 10" x 7". in order to experience the process on a more intimate level i've opted to limit the use of machinery. working with hand tools would allow better observation of how the grain structure reveals itself as it takes shape. this allows the time to make changes to the design if the structure or intention for the design (as that evolves) dictates. the initial shape was roughed out with the help of a band saw but there after the only tools used will be draw knives (planes), chisels, files, and sandpaper. got that strange feeling that this is going to be quite a bit of exercise?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 02:12:55 PM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
Re: a wood paddle is taking shape
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 02:59:51 PM »
Good luck!  Don't forget to show us more pictures of the process.  It would be very interesting to see how it actually takes shape!

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »
thanks sam... i'll try to take the time to record some of the progress

minor error in the initial post:  the lumber dimensions were supposed to be 2" x 10" x 7'. sorry, my bad.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 04:35:05 PM »
Can't wait to see the final form. Like Sam said...lots of pictures. Nice grain there....looks like you chose it for its orientation in the blade? What are you going to do for the shaft?

I think my favorite part of paddle building is using the drawknife. I have my grandfathers...around 100 years old. You can take off a lot or fine shavings...such a versatile tool for shaping.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

StandUpVirgin

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »
 Hello shapeshifter,
                               I spent a year & a half learning how to build wooden boats in Maine, one of my favorite things was making spars, that curl of fir coming out of a #4 plane was a beautifull thing.
     I was really into the strength & resiliance of different woods, I wanted to make a traditional bow from Osage Orange. So I found a book called The Bowyers Bible, well it was a three book series & so incredibly in depth that I freaked myself out with so much information & chickened out. But the thought of following a single growth ring with a cabinet scraper up & over every knot & wave in the grain is still intrigue-ing, then get that piece of wood to shoot another piece of wood 100yds!! WOW!! & the oldest bow in the world was found in a peat bog re-strung & shot an arrow & it was over a 1000yrs old!! Sorry getting a little carried away, if you really want to play with wood make a bow. I'm going to do it one day when I get my nerve up.
                                              Cheers SupV.     

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »
Even drawings at this stage would be great.. :D

DJ

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 09:16:19 PM »
heheheh... somehow i thought you would notice the orientation of the grain stoneaxe. yes, i chose this hunk of wood because it had a grain pattern that was pretty consistent from end to end. even then i had to set my center line a bit of an angle on the plank in order to capture it properly. still it gave me more than enough to work with. the shaft will be quite long and only slightly bowed. there will be a nub at about eye level just above where the lower hand grips to assist transferring it from side to side and provide a lower bud for when i want to shorten up on the grip. the blade will be leaf shaped 7" at the widest and a bit longer like some ancient examples... about 23". unlike the traditional shapes though, the dihedral will be more prominent at the tip of the blade to initiate the water's path at the catch gradually mellowing further up the blade's face. figuring the additional volume at the tip should provide a little bit of lift and assistance at the exit.

funny you should mention osage orange standupvirgin. bois d'arc... bodark... that elusive ojibwe ayac would have been my first choice in making this paddle. to be sure, i did base some of my research on the study of the bowyer's art. some day i hope to find that special stave hiding a paddle within just waiting to reveal itself.

everything is still a bit thick and evolving but here are a couple shots of how things are moving along.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 06:22:48 AM »
Looking sexy shape.

HHHmmm.....I always wanted to make my own longbow. Brother Bill got me started in archery when I was a kid (partially by hunting ME!...but that's another story... ;D)

There is a guy on lumberjocks.com that occasionally has some osage orange for sale. bluestingrayboots is his handle if you're interested.

I'm still focusing my paddle building efforts on laminations of cedar. I will be making them more like Malama's. I just think he has it wired. Light weight, strength and beauty all in one.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »
thanks for looking out stoneaxe! i did make a stop by lumberjocks while foraging for stock, guess i must have missed the ball on that one. also picked up some ash, basswood, and poplar pieces at the time i bought that big carving plank, 'cause i wasn't sure if i was willing to go the carve it from solid route.

no doubt i'll be trying a variety of lamination experiments in the next few...

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 06:26:35 AM »
The paddle is looking good!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 06:48:31 PM »
Any updates....whats happenin....u getting lazy.... ;D
Bob

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 02:45:03 PM »
heheheh... just noticed your post stoneaxe. had been under the weather for some quite time but coming through whatever got in my gut. doc said it doesn't seem to be food related so we'll see what the tests turn up. it's nice to be able to get out in the water again, tough a tad bit weakened by dietary issues. cranked up the juicer 'cause i'm on the mend. paddle was shaping up until all that. got to get back in the shop and catch up now (it's part of my workout schedule).

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 08:49:52 AM »
Good to hear your on the mend. Must have been nasty to keep you off the water and out of the shop. Been waiting to see what you come up with for a final shape on the paddle.
Bob

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 05:50:29 PM »
"a wood paddle is taking shape"...Well.....Has it taken shape yet.. ;D

DJ

Rogue Wave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Jimmy Lewis Canada
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 04:15:37 AM »
While we're waiting for more pics, I thought I'd share my first paddle project.

It took about 5 hours to build over 3 days, but the next ones will be much quicker (and have less mistakes).

It paddles very nicely, but is a bit heavy because I used red oak for the spine (way too heavy, but super strong!). The finish is automotive PPG clear-coat.

This is the first time I've ever worked with wood, and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone -- it's a lot of fun!

Thanks to Malama paddles on Maui for the inspiration and shape ideas -- he's a true master!

Lee Brittain
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:19:48 AM by Rogue Wave »
Jimmy Lewis Canada

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal