Author Topic: SOS BIG BLUE  (Read 8916 times)

emissions

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SOS BIG BLUE
« on: August 06, 2007, 04:54:39 PM »
Has anyone tried one? What's the verdict? I'm looking for a multi-purpose cruiser that holds up in the surf and I think this might be what I'm looking for. They're reasonably priced and Hi tech in Maui has one.

Blane, are you shaping any in the 10'6" to 10'10" range?

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: SOS BIG BLUE
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 05:44:10 PM »
I was not very impressed with the Big Blue or the Big Red. I have not tried the Big green one yet.
      Try the Bill Foote 11' epoxy production board. In my opinion its the best all round standup board on the market right now. It surfs great and paddles down wind better then my 12' down wind board.  I let 2 different guys try the Bill Foote 11' board. One had a Big Red the other had the Big Blue. After trying the Bill Foote they both had me sell their boards for them and they both bought the Bill Foote 11' board.  I did not like ridding either of their boards when we swapped boards.

Stop by or call Lightning Bolt Maui surf shop for a demo. 877-3484 We have a container of Bill Foote 11' Standup's arriving early September on Maui.

I am taking one tomorrow with me to Paddle around NYC for the event to raise awareness for Autism.

My advise is try as many boards as you can before you buy one.

Here is a photo of the Bill Foote 11' with Lightning Bolt Maui Logos on it.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 01:07:19 AM »
I've got both of them- I like them. Since you're interested in the Big Blue I'll comment on it specifically. I just had it in the water today in Northern Baja- we made a two mile run up to an "exclusive" right point break (see the full article coming soon at my site www.paddlesurf.net), surfed it and then ran back south with the wind blowing about 12 knots.

The board paddled the distance well- easily cruising without much attention or "paddling finesse". I think the board surfs good, for a 10'10" board it turns off the bottom easily and nose rides well- this was in weak 2 - 3' surf. I've also surfed it in my hometown at a rivermouth break in overhead surf- not firing Hawaiian style mind you- mushball wedges- that board surfed much better then expected and was actually really fun. I bought the board for my wife but have begun to use it more and more for surfing beachbreaks since it whips around into that first turn so easily.

Construction on the board is tough. I had the board's big brother in Baja for 15 days- totally abused it and compared to the three other boards we had down there (two handshapes, one other China board) it held up the best.

If you want an all around board this is a good choice though I do prefer (and would recommend to you) the Big Red for covering longer distances. A thing to remember, every board has it's own personality- sometimes it takes time to figure out how to make it sing. And, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm going to a 10' custom shape- not because I don't like my boards but because the thing blew my mind a couple of days ago and I was given an opportunity to grab one. I'll always keep the Red and Blue around for certain conditions.

Some good advice given earlier: Try as many boards as possible before buying. I've tested many other boards in the 10 to mid-10 range and can say that in my experience this board was the most stable (good for when you're just starting)  of all of the boards and holds its own in surfability (there were others that performed better but the trade off was stability). I'd recommend it- but that's just me and I tend to believe that for most surfers- equipment isn't the limiting factor in performance- put in the time and you can make just about any board work surprisingly well.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 01:25:49 AM »
Hi Paddlesurf,

Excellent mini review.  I would like to post it (site links of course), but will need your weight, height and time spent paddling (Frequent paddler I waould assume). 

Thanks.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 10:22:59 AM »
No problem- just my two cents of course! I weigh about 210 lbs but last night I ate a whole container of Ben and Jerry's so that may be a little off- I'm 5'10" and my waist is 36" while my inseam is 30" so I'm semi-box like. I paddle at least once a day- now that my wife's into it I'm up to two sessions a day (we live 5 blocks from the beach and 1/2 mile from the SD back bay).  I usually go surfing with the stand up in the morning and in the Bay (flatwater) with her in the afternoon.

I'm severly addicted to this sport and as a result all of my other surfboards are in a state of depression. I, on the other hand, am all smiles!

emissions

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 01:25:19 PM »
thanks for the great info. i think i am going to try a few. i'm a fan of your blog. those tim stamps look amazing.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 01:47:38 PM »
Thank you- tell you what, come to San Diego and I'll put you on my 10'0" you buy lunch!

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »
Thanks guys, the Big Blue is running a close 2nd to the 10'6" C4, but I agree wholeheartedly that we should try as many boards as possible before buying. That is turning out to be difficult due to availability.

I have found a shop (WET FEET) that rents and sells C4’s and I will be trying that board this weekend. However, I also want to try a Big Blue and the 11 Bill Foote sounds interesting as well.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 03:51:45 PM »
One other consideration, Blanes PSH Production 10'.  A bit shorter, but that board is thick, and well, Oahu and all.  We have a guy who is 210ish over here (but 6'2) and he is ripping with it.

Options, options.

emissions

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 04:48:54 PM »
Thank you- tell you what, come to San Diego and I'll put you on my 10'0" you buy lunch!

If I'm ever in SD I'll be sure to let you know! I'd really like to try one of those Stamps. ;D

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 04:49:52 PM »
One other consideration, Blanes PSH Production 10'.  A bit shorter, but that board is thick, and well, Oahu and all.  We have a guy who is 210ish over here (but 6'2) and he is ripping with it.

Options, options.

Actually I failed to mention Blane, but I was thinking about him as well. My main criteria is that the board is made be made by people who are at the forefront of SUP designs and are themselves SUP surfers. (No offense against regular shapers) I am also a strong believer in keeping my business local to Hawaii and more specifically Oahu. Which was why the Dave, Brian and Todd from C4 was appealing.

I grew up riding for some great shapers like Robert August and I am sure they can make some excellent SUP boards. But again, if possible I want to keep my business local. Of course I have heard of Blane and my friend who introduced me to SUP mentioned him as one of top guys to consider. The PSH production 10’ is a newer board to my newbie limited horizon but it is one I certainly want to learn more about and strongly consider.

emissions

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 05:06:11 PM »

Options, options.

Blane's boards are unreal. They are actually the SUPs I see the most here and I have followed his company's progress on Swaylocks over the past 2 years or so. The shops that are carrying them seem to have all in the 9-ish x 27in range which I'm sure surf incredible but for an all-arounder I think it's going to be too small as I like to just get out there and paddle at times. But I think the 10' would work for what I'm looking for.

My shaper, Mitsu, a Kahala guy who used to work for T&C, has been making some really great SUP's as well. I think Wet Feet is carrying a few of his also. I could probably get a good deal with him on a custom. Or go with Blane who's been at it longer. So many choices...

Test driving the C4 is a good idea. I'm going to do that when I get back from the mainland next weekend.

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 08:49:57 AM »
I guess I'm biased, since I own a Big Blue. Whatever. I tried a few boards on Maui this winter and for me as a SUP newbie the Big Blue was the best board around. Smaller softer fin and really stepping back makes it loose, and regarding stability there is nothing more to wish for. I love it.

(A little bit less positive note is regarding the negative comment on the SOS boards above in this thread: A little bit fishy to discredit one brand and pushing a second when one is working commercially for that second brand. It becomes even fishier when the shop next door (Hi-Tech) is selling the brand just discredited. I would not trust that kind of feedback/advertisement).

Jesper

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 09:13:50 AM »
Hi Jasper,
Having tried both of these boards (the Foote and the SOS), I feel it is unlikely that the two would appeal to the same rider; the shapes are so drastically dissimilar.   It is great to hear that Stand UP is catching on in Sweden.  You are an ideal ambassador for the sport.  Thanks for spreading the aloha! 
Chan
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 09:26:08 AM by Chan »

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 02:44:22 AM »
I LOVE my big blue. They are really well built. Needs a better fin than what Sean provides. Very stable and easy to handle for a wide range of surfers, up to 220 lbs. GREAT all rounder. Excellent first board. You see these and the Reds everywhare on Maui. I also have a Green, jury is still out on this one.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal