Author Topic: CCBC event what kind of boards are you using?  (Read 2244 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
CCBC event what kind of boards are you using?
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:19:59 AM »
I am really interested in entering this summer's CCBC.  It looks like an amazing event for a great cause and I want to be a part of it.  The furthest I have ever paddled is 10 miles or so and that was on an 11'2" Starboard Blend .  Typically I paddle 8 miles a day when it is not a surf day

34 miles sounds pretty far.  I know I have the stamina for it, but want to know I have the board for it.   What boards are you guys bringing to this event?  I am eyeing a couple of Coreban Alpha boards but wanted to hear what others are using?

thanks in advance for the info
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: CCBC event what kind of boards are you using?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 06:02:22 PM »
You don't have to be on a distance board...makes it a bit easier but we have boards of all sizes....shortest has been a 10'er. Sorry I'm forgetting his name but the guy was a friggin animal. Paddled full out with an adjustable aluminum paddle, on a 10' surf shape, and led the pack almost the whole way.
Average for last year was probably 12'. Last year about 8 14'ers including mine....  ;)
If your paddling 8 miles/day and surfing you'll be fine even on the blend. I would suggest a few long runs in advance though...20+ miles. Lets you know you can do it.  Good excuse to get a distance board though.... ;D
We try to maintain a minimum pace of around 3.5 mph which is really just cruising. Last year we actually took a couple short breaks along the way to allow slower paddlers to catch up, then a couple of long breaks near the end because we were making such good time we were going to beat the party. Didn't want the folks that were coming all the way out to see us land miss it. Last year was 30 miles. This year we're planning on 9-10 hours for the 34 miles..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:08:52 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:54:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bob  ok sounds like there are options which is good and one is my Blend, however it is a really good excuse to get a race/distance board.  I will start ivestigating.

Also, is there any information on where people stay? are any hotels sponsors of the event?  Is ther any travel suggestions anywhere?  thanks as always foir the help

Don
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 06:42:22 PM »
Our website redesign is going slow...pro-bono so i can't complain. Info on hotels and such will be there eventually.

Two hotels...Comfort Inn Plymouth...about a 5 minute ride to the launch point, clean and comfortable and they'll have at least some breakfast stuff out even that early. Group rate starting at $105.00..make sure you ask for Suzanne (my wife). The sooner you call the better, limited rooms available at that rate.
Other is Pilgrim Sands...not as good a rate 10% off...non-committal on the actual number, depends on what they're set at when called, but certainly more than the Comfort Inn. An older hotel but well maintained and the nice thing there...you can paddle to the launch point...300 yards down the beach.

Make sure you get there early on Friday...carb loading (Wachusett brews of course) paddlers party at the Cabby Shack in Plymouth is a good time.

Send me a PM with your email...I'll add you to the paddlers email list.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 06:44:13 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

boardshorts

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:52:16 AM »
I did the CCBC on the Starboard blend last year -no worries!
I find that if you train on a SMALLER board the blend seems like walk in the park.  Good luck training & welcome to the CCBC!  There will be some training pages up soon on the website.

SKIQUATTRO

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:54:50 PM »
i am very interested as we have a house in Eastham....just got into SUP, i have a 10'10"x 31 x 4.5 thick.......thoughts??
this ain't no dress rehersal

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:13:36 PM »
There have been a good number of 11' boards that have made the crossing. It will mostly depend on your level of fitness and committment to training...as it does for all of us.. We're going to cut off the max number at 75 paddlers this year...not sure we'll make that but we'll see. Registrations are coming in much faster than previous years. Start training now and see what you can do. Training regimen should resemble a marathoners...2-3 times per week, and one long one on the weekend at a minimum. Increasing the mileage each week. If you're able to do 20 miles at a 3.5 to 4 mph pace by July 1st then you should be OK. We'll be cutting off registrations mid July regardless of what the number is so we can get the final logistics squared away and everyone will have a month of training and fundraising time left...all paddlers are committed to raising a minimum of $650 for the kids...(includes the $100 registration fee)

We have a pretty committed crew that gets together for training sessions when possible and I'm fairly frequently on the Cape for surf. Happy to get together sometime .
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:22:44 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal