Author Topic: Gerry Lopez/Surftech Big Darlin'  (Read 7236 times)

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gerry Lopez/Surftech Big Darlin'
« on: April 18, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
I'm interested in the 10'6 or 11'2 Big Darlins.  I'd be real interested in hearing from any one that has surfed either model.

I'm 6'2" and weigh 190 on my heavy days.  I've been on an 11'2 Starboard Blend for three years now.  I'm a Great Lakes surfer, so I get a lot of chop or small waves or big waves that close out real fast.  I am at a point where I am quite comfortable in bigger surf and am working on maneuverability.

This board would be exclusively for surf.  Local shop has it for around 1695.

Thanks for any input.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

sideshore

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gerry Lopez/Surftech Big Darlin'
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:36:09 AM »
6'3" 210. Thinking of getting same board for East Coast surf. Anybody?

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »
This is kind of a cool review from a shop. Let's you know what to expect, sounds perfect for your conditions, and the 29" wide with 156L should be good for up to 250lbs+.

Surftech Gerry Lopez Big Darling Standup Paddleboard Review

Good things that the guy in the video points out are the single to double concave and the nose rocker. Double concave from about halfway down out the tail will certainly help when you get the thing on rail and turn successfully. Nose rocker helps you get INTO the wave in the first place!

I'm 6'0" 165lbs and have only tried the 8'11" lil Darling, which RIPPED, so I can't imagine Gerry would produce something any less than stellar.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »
Thanks!  That was helpful.  I don't always think to search YouTube.

Sounds like it may fit the bill for me, though it is a bit pricey compared to some other options.
Blkbox Surf

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 11:21:30 AM »

Sounds like it may fit the bill for me, though it is a bit pricey compared to some other options.

I hear that, but you gotta look at what you are getting as an investment. Surftechs have waterproof cores and will last forever, with high resale value. I read a lot of threads on here about board repair, and while you may get under the paint, you CAN'T waterlog the board. Buy one at 1500 to last you multiple seasons, or keep repairing/repurchasing brand X at 1000 for multiple seasons. I've had good luck with Surftech, and I talk to guys on other boards that are bummed when a ding turns into a huge issue. I like getting it right the first time when possible. I dunno, your call!

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »

I hear that, but you gotta look at what you are getting as an investment. Surftechs have waterproof cores and will last forever, with high resale value. I read a lot of threads on here about board repair, and while you may get under the paint, you CAN'T waterlog the board. Buy one at 1500 to last you multiple seasons, or keep repairing/repurchasing brand X at 1000 for multiple seasons. I've had good luck with Surftech, and I talk to guys on other boards that are bummed when a ding turns into a huge issue. I like getting it right the first time when possible. I dunno, your call!

Gettin it RIGHT might not be the best way to say that, but my point is that I don't have a lot of $, so I like to spend it as wisely as I can.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 11:34:33 AM »
Sound advice.  Thanks.
Blkbox Surf

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal