Author Topic: Building my first SUP, what do you think of this internals?  (Read 24082 times)

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Building my first SUP, what do you think of this internals?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 02:14:54 PM »
Who counts with labors of love :)  40 hours is the first # coming to mind.  But for me at this stage of my life building anything in the midst of other stuff is a very non-linear process.  Although I thought the nature of the build lent itself well to short bursts followed by rest,  e.g. couple hours on scarf joints then glue then stop for 24 hours; place and glue a couple of ribs then stop to let them dry. Layout, cut and wet the fiberglass then stop for 24, etc.

re: internals, to my eye the Kaholo is sparse with ribs relative to John Sanders does.  In paddling my board I have not noticed any flex or soft spots in the deck.  I'm at about 250#. It seems to me the Kaholo rib spacing + 4mm deck is enough. The plans called for a 3mm top deck, but I could not find anything local in that dimension so I went with what I could find.  The 4mm dimension is definitely harder to twist into the v-shape hull.  But doable. 

Have to give a shout out to McCormick Lumber in Madison.  Nice boat building supplies and sheet lumber.  He is an old school ice boat builder and racer.  So it was fun talking with him about his hand-built ice boats.

thanks a lot for the picture, it gives me a good idea about how to cut some frames
anychance you could give me some measurements?

finsider

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 08:45:11 AM »
you need to check out andy gere's waveyarder project on the t2s forum. here is the link

build thread http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554&start=0

also malcolm's beautiful board build which is actually sold as the MALCO by wood surfboard supply.

build thread  http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3240&hilit=malco

I wouldnt use any wood over 1/4" thick and go light on the glass as well, nothing over 4oz. If you can keep the weight in the thirties (lbs) then your doing okay.
Where there is wind, there is a wave

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 10:15:42 AM »
you need to check out andy gere's waveyarder project on the t2s forum. here is the link

build thread http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554&start=0

also malcolm's beautiful board build which is actually sold as the MALCO by wood surfboard supply.

build thread  http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3240&hilit=malco

I wouldnt use any wood over 1/4" thick and go light on the glass as well, nothing over 4oz. If you can keep the weight in the thirties (lbs) then your doing okay.

The best links I've seen so far on the subject!!!

Gracias!!

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »
Thanks to the pointer to my Waveyarder project, I hope it's helpful.  I think for a racing board, a strip built hull with a plywood deck and ply bulkheads/stringer would be the way to go.  You can torture high quality plywood into race board shapes, but it's not easy.  Many years ago, I built a stitch and glue sea kayak, and was able to get pretty nice contours out of flat panels, and the CLC board seems to do pretty well with it, but you can really refine the shape by using strips. 
http://home.earthlink.net/~andygere/ches17/chespk.html

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 02:05:47 AM »
Andy, really, thanks a lot for all that effort bringing up on the web your work.
It's really helpfull and it's a really well done job (both, the boards themselves and the explanations).

Again, thanks a lot.

getcarter

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 03:48:34 AM »
Wow...all very nice!!....I am thinking of doing something similar as the inexpensive option for buying a really expensive foamie... im goiing to make mine a "splitter" though so I can store it easier.

"Tallude1" does your friend have any dims or an aku file he is willing to share?.....the shapes he makes are exactly what I am after....

Thanks
GC

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 02:37:53 PM »
As far as shapes go, the sky is the limit. My friends John's wood boards are a classic prone paddleboard design. I would say there is more heart and soul in his boards than there is proven board design. If you are designing a SUP, then you need to fill in some of the variables. What type of conditions is it for? What's the size and skill level of the paddler? What type of paddling are you planning on doing, surfing, racing, downwinding, touring, or all the above? You can download a free version of Shape3D and play around with it. Here is a generic shape I was playing with in Shape3D that pretty much fits the average 12'6 race board.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 08:43:05 AM »
Thanks to the pointer to my Waveyarder project, I hope it's helpful. 

Andy,
I've gone through your project, and even downloaded the files. Now I'm playing around with Aku Shaper, but I can't see how to print the profiles to cut out all the internals.

Is that option in Aku Shaper but I just couldn't find it?

Again, thanks a lot.

As soon as I manage to get some prints I'll start the building.

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 11:59:10 AM »
Andy, did you use the HollowBoard Template Maker?

because that's the one I tried but the result wasn't as smooth as yours.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 11:15:11 AM »
I did use the hollow board template maker.  Check on the tree to sea forum that you have the latest addition of it.  It worked well for me, and I printed the plan on a large engineering plotter.  I haven't fooled around with it for a while, so things may have changed.  You may try putting up a post on the tree to sea forum, lots of knowledgeable folks there.

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 01:52:35 PM »
OK Andy, I´ll check on that

thanks a lot

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal