Author Topic: Building my first SUP, what do you think of this internals?  (Read 24036 times)

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Building my first SUP, what do you think of this internals?
« on: April 18, 2011, 04:37:34 AM »
hi there,
it's my first post in here, though i've been reading before I registered.

I want to build some beginners SUP boards for flat water, for a sailing school. I'm used to work with wood and fiberglass (repairing all sorts of boats). But I don't have any experience building boards.

To start with, I was thinking of building something with the same measurements of the boards I've been using: 334 x 79 x 11 cm (that's be something like 11" x 31" x 4"1\2).

Instead of using foam with fiberglass, I was thinking of a hollow board with an internal structure of wood. Three longitudingal of marine plywood (2cm - 3/4"), plus 10 transverasal bulkheads (spacing of 30cm) of pinewood (1cm - 3/8").
For the deck I'd use 2 sheets of 3mm, and for the bottom 1 sheet of 5 mm. And finally, one layer of epoxy for the whole board, and then one layer of fiberglass (something around 200gr).

So, did anyone understand what I mean?  :-\

any input or thoughts would be really wellcome  :)

I'll start building in two weeks, and will post pics of the whole process.

Thanks in advance!

cracker

• Waikiki Status
  • Transphibian
    • View Profile
Re: Building my first SUP, what do you think of this internals?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:06:53 AM »
Gades,
Bring it on!

looking forward to this thread...uh I understood most I think....pics will help

welcome to the forum,where u from??

cracker

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »
There are a few hollow wood board designs for SUP, both for distance and for SUP. Take a look at Grain surfboards--they offer kits, and then there's a few distance boards from boat companies. I think there's one that uses sewn edges, and another with more standard construction. Can't remember the company name--one of the guys that does the CCBC does it on a very fast and slick wood 14"
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SwampSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:24 AM »
If you are not living on the edge; you are taking up too much room!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:09:46 AM »
Here is a hollow wood paddleboard being built by a buddy of mine. He's done a number of these., so far all prone distance boards. They are a lot of work!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:11:14 AM »
I mean HERE IS A PICTURE. I need some coffee!
It's not overhead to me!

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 02:03:01 PM »
There are a few hollow wood board designs for SUP, both for distance and for SUP. Take a look at Grain surfboards--they offer kits, and then there's a few distance boards from boat companies. I think there's one that uses sewn edges, and another with more standard construction. Can't remember the company name--one of the guys that does the CCBC does it on a very fast and slick wood 14"

I've just had a look at the Grain Surfboards site and it's great. I just asked them if they sell their Home Grown Kit manual on its own.
It's too expensive to get any of the kits to Mallorca (that's where I'm based).

Thanks

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 02:08:43 PM »
I have been  wanting to build my own and found this site.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/surf_boats/paddleboards/kaholo-stand-up-paddleboard.html

it's not exactly the board I want to build, but they have some really helpful photos and they also sell a manual so I'll probably go for that.

Thanks!

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 02:10:22 PM »
I mean HERE IS A PICTURE. I need some coffee!

I think that's quite close to what I had in mind. I'll see if I can get some more info from your friend.

Again, thanks!

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
Gades,
Bring it on!

looking forward to this thread...uh I understood most I think....pics will help

welcome to the forum,where u from??

cracker

I'm from Spain, living in Mallorca. In the mornings is mostly flat water, and in the afternoon windsurfing....

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 03:37:02 PM »
Gades,
Here are a few more photos I found. Required: Jigsaw, drill, chisels, Luan (African, Brazillian, or Philippine Mahog.) stock, Luan or equal veneer, lots of clamps, resin glue, sand paper, glass and resin, at least a little wood working experience, and the right design. Hopefully, I will do one some day myself. Another friend I paddle with has a wood board that he bought pre-built. He's actually featured in the photo on this link. His board paddles great.  http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/surf_boats/paddleboards/kaholo-stand-up-paddleboard.html

Here are the photos from my friend John Sanders who builds them from scratch :)
It's not overhead to me!

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 06:12:04 PM »
Gorgeous work your friend does.  Beautiful.

Last summer I built one of the CLC Kaholos, from their plan.  I had a great building experience and every time I get out on it I have a great paddling session.  Really happy with the build and the board.  It's a great board and very well done set of plans.  It was the first boat of any sort I had ever done.  Normal tools.  Easy to follow directions.  With the first one I especially learned about patience and scarf joints.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is their seeming lack of commitment or interest in doing anything to promote their SUP plans and their Kaholo board.   They must be a bunch of dedicated boaters or something.  They just seem uninterested in SUP so far. 
Then again I'm on the outside looking in......

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »
Gades,
Here are a few more photos I found. Required: Jigsaw, drill, chisels, Luan (African, Brazillian, or Philippine Mahog.) stock, Luan or equal veneer, lots of clamps, resin glue, sand paper, glass and resin, at least a little wood working experience, and the right design. Hopefully, I will do one some day myself. Another friend I paddle with has a wood board that he bought pre-built. He's actually featured in the photo on this link. His board paddles great. 

Here are the photos from my friend John Sanders who builds them from scratch :)

TD, thanks a lot for those photos, they're really nice.
Any chance you'd know the width of the boards?

Gades

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
Gorgeous work your friend does.  Beautiful.

Last summer I built one of the CLC Kaholos, from their plan.  I had a great building experience and every time I get out on it I have a great paddling session.  Really happy with the build and the board.  It's a great board and very well done set of plans.  It was the first boat of any sort I had ever done.  Normal tools.  Easy to follow directions.  With the first one I especially learned about patience and scarf joints.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is their seeming lack of commitment or interest in doing anything to promote their SUP plans and their Kaholo board.   They must be a bunch of dedicated boaters or something.  They just seem uninterested in SUP so far. 
Then again I'm on the outside looking in......

nice work!
BTW, how long did it take you to build it?

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 11:08:34 AM »
Who counts with labors of love :)  40 hours is the first # coming to mind.  But for me at this stage of my life building anything in the midst of other stuff is a very non-linear process.  Although I thought the nature of the build lent itself well to short bursts followed by rest,  e.g. couple hours on scarf joints then glue then stop for 24 hours; place and glue a couple of ribs then stop to let them dry. Layout, cut and wet the fiberglass then stop for 24, etc.

re: internals, to my eye the Kaholo is sparse with ribs relative to John Sanders does.  In paddling my board I have not noticed any flex or soft spots in the deck.  I'm at about 250#. It seems to me the Kaholo rib spacing + 4mm deck is enough. The plans called for a 3mm top deck, but I could not find anything local in that dimension so I went with what I could find.  The 4mm dimension is definitely harder to twist into the v-shape hull.  But doable. 

Have to give a shout out to McCormick Lumber in Madison.  Nice boat building supplies and sheet lumber.  He is an old school ice boat builder and racer.  So it was fun talking with him about his hand-built ice boats.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal