Author Topic: Werner Handle Part II  (Read 19276 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: Werner Handle Part II
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »
Hi Pirate,
We received some handles from Werner as promised, so bring in your paddle and we will replace the handle at no charge.
Werner does not allow us to sell unglued handles or paddles as they have a short list of approved adhesives.
Aloha,
Robert

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2011, 11:08:24 AM »
Robert,

Can you tell us what's on the short list of adhesives? I think a lot of us Werner users would like to know  ;D

Thanks

Richard

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »
DW, I just spoke to shop that I got my Nitro from, and the "paddle tech" said he uses 5 minute epoxy and has never had any problem with that.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2011, 12:19:56 PM »
Umm, it's an open forum, a place to discuss things like this. It's not bad form at all to bag on a manufacturer--how else do issues get aired?

Bill, I agree that discussing product related stuff here is appropriate, but the thread started as more of an attack on the company, even though the company provided a remedy, and the remedy is the one that is clearly stated in the warranty information provided by the company.  Is it a great policy?  One could argue that it is not.  My point is that I disagree with the idea of saying the customer service sucks when the company is providing exactly the customer service that it said it would. A discussion on the merits of the stated return policy would be more appropriate, and probably garner a better response from the manufacturer, were they to be monitoring the forum.  Better still, a polite letter written to the director of customer service at Werner would likely get the best response.

I do think that the fact that Werner is providing a recall on a nearly identical problem with handles on canoe paddles is compelling evidence that the company stands by its products and when there is a known defect it takes appropriate action.  Why would the company do this for one product line but not the other, if there were similar product defects?  It doesn't make sense.  More logically, there are a few cases of broken SUP paddle handles out there, much like there are cases of broken shafts, delaminated blades, etc. among all paddle brands.  The low incidence failures would be appropriately handled through the warranty and repair program.

As evidenced by statements of several folks here, it's not an easy thing to get the broken handle out of the paddle shaft without damaging the shaft itself.  To that end, Werner is wise to require a return for repair as they do.   

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2011, 06:08:14 PM »
DW,
While I don't endorse anyone doing this repair themselves, I see no harm in sharing the Werner approved adhesives, so I'm attaching them in a photo.
Aloha, Robert
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2011, 04:42:23 PM »
I have a Werner Nitro that has about 250 sessions on it, and I just broke the handle off paddling into a wave.  I asked Werner if I could buy a new handle from them so I could make the repair myself, since I didn't want to miss too many days on the water waiting for them to repair it, and shipping time and all.

Their rep Danny Mongno very politely explained why they could not send me a handle (liability issues), but instead suggested he would drive down a loaner paddle for me to use, and then I could send my paddle in for repair and not miss any surfing.

This dude took the time out of his busy schedule on a Sunday afternoon and drove a replacement Nitro paddle to within about 3 miles of my house.  Talk about unbelievable customer service.  I have never seen this kind of treatment and understanding from a company anywhere.  Bottom line is, Werner rocks, their paddles are awesome, and their service is second to none.

shiner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2011, 06:19:19 AM »
I had a problem with the handle two years ago. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=3657.0

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2011, 08:04:55 AM »
I recently installed a Werner handle on a paddle from another manufacturer for my wife. She loves the handle so much on her Nitro that she wanted it on her backup paddle.
I had to cut off the part of the stem that inserts into the shaft to get it to fit on a smaller diameter tube.
I have to say I'm really surprised that anyone is breaking these handles! The walls of the handled are very thick and beefy and I don't think I could have broken the handle if I beat it with a hammer all afternoon.
I also used West Marine G-Flex Epoxy to glue the handle to the new dowel to fit this paddle. I have not glued the modified handle to the shaft yet as the final length has not been decided. (used tape) Once she decides on the length I just use hot melt glue to secure it in case I need to make changes later.
Not sure how these handles could break unless there was a problem with a batch of plastic when molded. Are you seeing lots of air pockets in the plastic at the break?

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 10:57:14 AM »
I've been interested in buying a Fuse, and I wonder if they are putting the other handles on them now that are supposed to be stronger.  The new and improved ones.  I sent them an email inquiring about the situation but they never responded.

Not really interested in buying a paddle where I'm going to have to go through this whole convoluted process over a plastic handle if it breaks.  They won't even sell you a replacement handle.  They should offer a carbon option.  I would gladly pay the extra $40 to not have to deal with the warranty process. 

I still find it incredulous that this is the only paddle manufacturer that appears to think there is great science involved in changing a paddle handle.  Many people on this forum have shortened their paddles, which requires removal and re-installation, without much fanfare, myself included.  Gluing a piece of plastic to a shaft is not that complicated.  The claims of liability are ridiculous.  If it was that big of a deal then every paddle manufacturer would have the same prohibition.

For this reason alone, I am not inclined to buy one of their paddles.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2011, 07:52:21 AM »
Not sure why it's such an issue. If you like the paddle but don't like the handle then glue on a different handle. If you are handy in the garage then it's not a big deal to customize the paddle with your choice of a handle.

But those reports of broken Werner handles sound fishy. After cutting one open I just can't see how they could break. Plus we have an adjustable Werner that got stuck. So to loosen it up to remove the top and clean out the salt  took a lot of twisting. I had to jam the handle inside the end of my trailer bumper and twist like hell. No breaks and there is no way someone can put that kind of stress on it just paddling.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2011, 08:56:21 AM »
Not sure why it's such an issue. If you like the paddle but don't like the handle then glue on a different handle. If you are handy in the garage then it's not a big deal to customize the paddle with your choice of a handle.

But those reports of broken Werner handles sound fishy. After cutting one open I just can't see how they could break. Plus we have an adjustable Werner that got stuck. So to loosen it up to remove the top and clean out the salt  took a lot of twisting. I had to jam the handle inside the end of my trailer bumper and twist like hell. No breaks and there is no way someone can put that kind of stress on it just paddling.

We broke 4 of them, snapped clean off, all while paddling.  I am unsure of what your post means, but this is far from fishy and is even further from being an isolated incident.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »
I've never understood Werner's thing about glue. I was told very clearly that hot-gluing the handle on my wife's Spanker would void the warranty. No idea why, but they seem to have a problem no one else shares. I haven't broken a handle, and it seems very odd that anyone has--with the tiny amount of leverage a handle has the stress at the joint shouldn't be all that high. I've held handles on with aluminum tape for months without a problem. I don't get it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2011, 10:36:59 AM »
I SUP about 5-7 days a week. Broke 3 handles so far. Each one lasting about 6 months. On my 4 th paddle hope she holds up.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2011, 10:39:53 AM »
I've only borrowed a Werner paddle, but have looked at their handles since this thread started out of curiosity.  If I had to guess which manufacturer's handles would break, based only on appearance, it would be Werner.   They taper down to a much smaller section at the connection to the grip than other handles I've seen.  They just look weak.  

Also, their grip is wider (length from one end to another) than at least my Quickblade's and probably most other brands.  If you twist the handle, the grip length gives you a longer moment arm to magnify the force--like using a lever.  So, the narrow section could be a problem, and the wide grip could contribute if twisted, especially if twisted at the same time you were pulling the blade back through the water with a lot of force, so that the shaft couldn't turn easily at the same time you twisted the handle.  

At least those are my theories.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:42:01 AM by pdxmike »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2011, 10:45:41 AM »
Plus, obviously something is wrong with Werner handles.  The last time I can remember hearing about anyone else's handle being broken so quickly, it was when SUAN became LUANGUAN.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal