Author Topic: Werner Handle Part II  (Read 19249 times)

SUPirate

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Werner Handle Part II
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:43:27 AM »
Something happened to the original thread where the alignment is off so here is part II

thanks for all the feedback from all of you out there, I feel a little better know that I am not the only one getting the Shaft from them.  I hope Werner is paying attention to how many people read this thread. 

They have a good product but their customer service Sucks

They know that the handle is a problem and yet they give us such a hard time, it is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt badly from this known problem and it will end up in court, just like Toyota, they should have issued a recall on these handles and switch them out with a new reinforced handle.  Just think How many new customers they would get if they spent a little money to do this and stand behind their product instead of giving the retailers/users the Shaft.

Wake Up Werner
What do you folks think? 

Or am I paddling by myself in left field?

That's all

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Werner Handle Part II
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:06:14 AM »
Yikes, hadn't thought of that, someone WILL get impaled and in this litigious society...
In such a corporate outfit, where is their legal dept?  :o

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 05:02:10 AM »
No - I think you are correct in feeling that it should be resolved in a reasonable way.  Here is what I have learned owning my own businesses over the past number of years....it's not so much IF a problem happens, cause they will, but HOW you take care of that problem that is important to retaining happy customers.  I myself am waiting to see how an issue is resolved w/ a defective board that I recently purchased from a big name brand.  I'm hoping that they do the right thing.
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »
If Werner sends out handles to customers and dealers they are acknowledging a defect or problem, this would be evidence in a lawsuit.
However, if they do nothing and deny any known problem they have Plausible deniability.
Welcome to corporate America.

fiftyfive

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:57:27 PM »
I am looking for a paddle and was thinking Werner, try to figure out which one to go for, but not anymore.

Thanks for helping me find out what not to buy.

I will look at this post to see, if they will do something to fix the problem.

I have an excellent product with a well known problem. The company promised replacement and asked for my address and the story ends here. Nothing, I am still waiting. I will wait a bit longer before I start posting here and everywhere else. That's it for now.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »
I have the Werner Spanker and my wife uses the Werner Carve and we have had them for about three years and I have never had a problem with them.  I even shipped my werner in my sup bag to Costa Rica and back and it still going strong like a champ.

My handles on both paddles are not an issue.  I love the way they feel compared to the T handles.

Don't know if it's luck - but no one I know that uses the Werners has that "well known problem".

Good luck to you guys and hope you get the problem resoved quickly.

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 03:46:48 PM »
I'll vouch for Werner as well.  I've got a Nitro that I've fallen on, dropped on the concrete, used to whack my buddy as he goes ripping past me  ;D and it's still going strong. 

We use a couple of adjustable Werner Advantages at the shop that I work at as demo paddles and, if possible, they get treated worse than I treat my own.  No problems yet, and any time I've needed to contact Werner they've been easy to deal with and prompt to reply.

Just my .02 cents.

(We also sell Kialoa at the shop that I work at, so I'm not shilling for Werner.  Although I haven't had any experience using Kialoa myself, customer response has been really good).

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:42:44 PM »
What is the Werner Problem? (I missed the start of the thread) We have sold a bunch of there paddles and have not had a handle issue. Would like to look out for what ever the problem may be.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

SUPirate

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 07:18:24 PM »
The Problem was with the Nitro paddle handle, I am not sure what kind of handles the other Werner paddle has.  but the handle is made of ABS plastic , nice handle, fits nicely in your palm but, it tends to shear off. 

Partly because of the material used and it is designed to fit in the shaft instead of over the shaft like Kialoas.  It is probably economical to manufacture.

I really like the paddle (Nitro) and the feel of the handle.  The part that I have a problem with is the way Werner handles their customer service.

I was told by a shop that sells Werner paddles that they(werner) didnt want him to sell me the handle, they want me to send the paddle to them and they will replace it and send it back, Great!  guess who has to pay the shipping?  and the cost to replace it because they will tell me that it is not cover under the warrenty and i have no choice but to pay it if I want my paddle back.

It happened to my cousin who blade buckled while paddling, he paid to send it up because they wanted to see the damage and they said it is not covered under  warrenty so he had to pay for a new blade and to ship it back, he was pissed! but, it was still cheaper than a new paddle, they dont stand behind their product at all!

They make it so hard for the retailers who sells their paddles, I feel sorry for the retailers because they have to deal with the customers

continued.......

SUPirate

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »
All I want is a handle, I will buy it, I dont expect it to get it free.  But I dont want to pay 4 times retail as I was told by a shop in Aina Haina, Dont Rip me off.  I know things wear and things break.  No Problem

I replaced one last year for a friend, he got a new handle from the shop he bought the paddle from.  I reinforced the handle so it has a solid core instead of a hollow core that fits in the shaft.  that shop doesnt carry werner paddles anymore because they give him too much BS and it is not worth the effort for a small buisiness to put up with.

They(werner) told him that nobody else in the world is having problems but us in Hawaii.  maybe because I use it in the surf 5-7 days a week, we put it to the test, I dont mind paying for equipment that is well made because I want my stuff to last. 

The problem with the handle was known when the paddle first came out over two years ago and the Hawaii Rep knows about it because even his friend that he sold him one sheared off his handle twice.

Do you want to hear more?

Kudos to Blue Planet, who offered to get me a handle and replace it too, hopefully he doesnt get screwed by Werner for doing this.

I need a Cold one already!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 08:44:39 PM »
I really don't understand this whole thing. I'm pretty sure it's a small number of paddles, but having a strict policy of requiring the paddle to be shipped back is simply not good service. I understand why they might want to do things this way, but it places too much burden on the customer. These days, when you do that, you lose a customer forever, and all the people they influence, which in a socially-connected world is simply too many people. It's a policy out of touch with the times.

All they need to do to solve the problem is make handles available to dealers for a relatively low cost. they don't need to warranty them, just make it cheap. People will figure out how to fix the paddle.

I recommended that people glue their handles on with five minute epoxy or hot glue so they could change the length if they needed to. A Warner rep told me that voids the warranty. Why? No answer. just does.

I like their paddles, but they need to catch up. People won't accept a service level that they don't feel is appropriate. They will see a decline in sales and won't understand why it's happening. They'll blame everything else except the policies that are hurting their customers.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 09:20:48 PM »
I had the same feeling as PonoBill about the Werner handles.

I ordered a poster a while ago that came damaged.  I knew I could get it replaced and wouldn't even have to pay for shipping but still hated the need to repackage it, get a return label, and take it it to get shipped.  But when I called, the company said, "Just keep the poster, email us a photo of the damaged one, and we'll send out a new one today".  This was for a poster that probably cost about the same as a Werner handle, or maybe 10% of what a paddle costs.  In contrast, Werner sells an expensive paddle, then won't just send out a new handle that costs no more than my poster.  If Werner isn't going to automatically send out a new handle, at least it seems they could ask for an emailed photo versus requiring shipping the whole paddle.

Lots of companies are now offering free shipping and free return shipping on all orders.  It could become standard soon.  Making someone pack up an expensive paddle and pay to ship it, then irritate them more by saying that they don't take responsibility for the handle breaking, while all the while they're without use of the paddle, is going the opposite way. 

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 05:53:12 AM »
Yep. That's the way you should do business.  I bought a portable weber grill a while ago for my camping trips and the lid had a crack in it where the handle connects to.  I emailed Weber, they said just send us a photo.  I sent a photo and within a week I had a new lid shipped to me.  The main reason why Werner wants you to send the paddle back to them is because they know you won't do it...or at least the majority of us.

I was really considering the Werner bent paddle for racing but after hearing about how they handle business, It makes it that much more appealing to me to just buy a QB because I know they take care of their customers. 

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bonita Vacation Rentals
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 06:31:58 AM »
Update....my werner nitro handle bought in March with maybe 20 sessions on it, snapped off this morning.  Heading up the hill later to see what the dealer has to say.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 06:48:16 AM »
I recommended that people glue their handles on with five minute epoxy or hot glue so they could change the length if they needed to. A Warner rep told me that voids the warranty. Why? No answer. just does.

What's most odd about that reaction by them, is Werner's handles fit better in the shaft than any other brand. The handle has an extra long stem inside the shaft and it fits snug and precise, more precise than anything other paddle out there. So for a Werner, you are less likely to split the shaft by using it un-glued. I've seen other brands split at the shaft because owners just tape the handle on.

My guess is they know its less strong when not glued, so they want to be the people doing the gluing. When I cut a "Werner glued handle" off my paddle, it did not appear to be anything special glue wise. I had no trouble doing a spiral cut on the shaft and prying the carbon off the handle stub.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal