Author Topic: Any concensus on fin type for a JL-11?  (Read 6236 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Any concensus on fin type for a JL-11?
« on: August 06, 2007, 01:51:39 PM »
The stock 13" fin on my Jimmy Lewis 11 is bogging me down, I think, and I'm looking for what to replace it with.  The only other fin I have on hand is a 9.5" Hobie Alter, by True Ames, which I think I'll try tomorrow:

But maybe there's an even better fin that people are using.  I read on Pono Bill's page that some people are favoring the Farberow Flex 9.5".  Anyone here tried it?  Anyone tried something else they want to mention?  Other fin-type thoughts for the JL11?

thanks!

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any concensus on fin type for a JL-11?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 02:25:46 PM »
I have 2 fins, one is a big 11" fin, and the other is a Joel Tudor 9.5" cut-away fin. I like the cut-away better, but I am just begging, and have only had my SUP out a few times. I can't realy give you a good opinion on them yet. But it does seem like the big fin would be better on bigger Swells.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 05:34:58 PM »
http://www.trueames.com/surf_select.php?surf_products_id=35&surf_categories_id=&surf_subcategories_id=

I use the 10" Farberow Flex fin on my JL 11 footer. I love the fin. I had a sweet weekend surfing with it.

The tip flex is more than many surfboard fins. A nice twisting fin carries speed better through the turn.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 06:26:40 PM »
Hi
    Have the Jimmy Lewis 11' also and I found out the a 9.5 G&S speed fin moved up in the box works real well. I'm able to turn the board and redirect in the wave. I think the true Ames fin will work. Good Luck    Mahalo
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 03:44:17 AM »
thanks, guys.  one more question.  i tried putting the hobie fin in yesterday.  unlike the original jimmy fin, it's got the pin in the front and the screw in the back and something in the fin box side slots is keeping me from being able to move the fin all the way forward.  anyone else having this trouble?  maybe i just need to get out a hammer and bang the thing up.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 05:54:36 AM »
litner
 It really does not matter if the pin or screw is in the front or back of the fin. Some of my fins vary also. Slide pin in box, if in front slide w/ tail in air , if on back slide in w/ the nose of the fin up. Leave a litte space so you and screw into slide plate to tighten. I would not bang the fin while in box you could damage fin and or bok. Epoxy repair is more indepth process. If the fin is tight in box and will not let fin base sit in groove you may have to sand base of fin a little so it sit in finbox slot.  My G&S 9.5'' fin has screw in back of fin. The JL stock 13'' fin has the screw in front. but base of fin utilizes all of the box.  I hope this helps.  Good luck ....    GJBSUP
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 06:25:24 AM »
thanks, guys.  one more question.  i tried putting the hobie fin in yesterday.  unlike the original jimmy fin, it's got the pin in the front and the screw in the back and something in the fin box side slots is keeping me from being able to move the fin all the way forward.  anyone else having this trouble?  maybe i just need to get out a hammer and bang the thing up.

Go easy on the Hammer idea LOL. get the Fin Box wet with water, and see if that helps the Fin slide a littel. If not then sanding it at the base on the sides will work. I had to do that with bothe of my Fins. My BIG Fi's base doesn't allow me to put the screw and plate on before inserting it into the box. I have to slide the plate in forrst, and then positon it so it is in the right place for the screw. Then insert Fin and tighten. My Joel Tudor Fin slides right in ,and for and aft very easly, but I sanded the crap outta that woth a random orbital sander :) .

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 07:52:44 AM »
good advice: i'll put the hammer away ;D.  i did go out on flat water with the 9.5 Hobie this morning and for me it was like starting all over again.  way tippy, totally kookish.  then again, i'm new enuf to be a total kook no matter what i'm doing out there.  anyway,  i think i'll track down a 10" farborow flex and see how that works.

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 09:13:50 AM »
I find that flexy fins don't agree with me and my SUB's. The tip flex wants to throw me around. On all my other single fins yes, but not on my standup's

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 09:54:41 AM »
I find that flexy fins don't agree with me and my SUB's. The tip flex wants to throw me around. On all my other single fins yes, but not on my standup's

A more vertical fin allows easier pivot turns. People have to pick their compromise. A vertical fin slows down more when doing a bottom turn.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 09:59:50 AM »
FYI on fins with the screw in front on the stock JL fin.

The screw in front was invented by the windsurfers. Screw in the back is original surfer style.

The reason windsurfers moved the screw up front (other than the obvious, easier to put the screwdriver on it reason) was to prevent the fin boxes from being torn out when you hit bottom. It breaks the fin tab and not your board. Back when board construction and materials stunk (compared to current standards) we used to saw cut the fin tab to weaken it. Boxes were not as tuff back then.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:03:53 AM by DW »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal