Author Topic: HAndbuilt hollow wooden SUB...  (Read 4996 times)

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
HAndbuilt hollow wooden SUB...
« on: August 06, 2007, 05:55:31 PM »
I just found this thread on a Surf Forum I frequent. . . http://www.2ndlight.com/fusetalk/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=66276&enterthread=y
 This guy is doing a kick ass job at building a great looking SUB. Thing is going to weigh a ton though LOL.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: HAndbuilt hollow wooden SUB...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 05:27:05 AM »
interestingly sturdy design, it probably wouldn't need any fiberglass. would be very stiff but much lighter than the traditional solid woods yet still a lot heavier than current technology would allow. seems like this is based on tom blake's design who put voids in the cross beams to remove some material. looks like lots of opportunity to whittle it down a bit though there's no layers to gauge the depth of the cuts. quite a bit of crowning to the top which would take it's toll on the arches but well done for a first go at this stuff...

my experience with executing hollow designs stems from work in the high tech world of slalom skateboards. while others used the boat building route as the one in the example. my approach was to take the processed bamboo and put it back in it's natural form though in the flattened shape of a skateboard. to this end i was quite successful. can't express my surprise when i found out that the stand-up board that i ordered was a hollow carbon stealth. talk about synchronicity. some day i would like to experiment with different approaches to surfboard building. for now though... i'm just happy learning.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 05:35:28 AM »
WOW, you got knowledge shapeshifter. I am just getting into the wonderfull World of SUBs and love it. I have my first SUB now, and know I need to get a waverider. Mine is definatley for cruising. It will catch Waves, but it is HARD to turn and set the rail. Definatley won't pump for speed LOL. Still a lot of fun though.

Surfdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 01:12:14 PM »
Thanks!  I just found this site today and I see my board from 2ndlight.com is already on here!  To answer some of the questions/issues raised above:
45 lbs
Definitely needs fiberglass for stryctural integrity and for watertightness.
I am finding there is lots of this hollow wood board thing going on around the country, especially in paddle boards and SUPs.  Check out Grainsurfboards.com in New England.  Whole business out of hollow wooden boards of superb quality.
   When I get this thing in the water Thursday or Friday I will do my first standup paddling.  With 39 years of surfing and 7 years riding 17', 400lb surfboats in N.J. in my youth, in a standup like mode, I hope I can catch on quickly, because I am going to jump into a 3 mile SUP race on Saturday.  It is a fundraiser for SurfRider Foundation put on by Balsa Bill's here in Brevard County Florida, and will have paddle races for all ages, all boards styles.  It will be just for fun and I just want to go learn more from others about SUP technique and such.  Race?  I'll enter to donate the money, but not too concerned about that racing thing.  How about "He/she who has the most fun wins."  Entry form link   
http://www.16streets.com/Balsa-Bill.htm

Another photo
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1392/1039520466_29afecda20.jpg

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 05:35:03 PM »
Surfdog, I might head over for the race. I e-mailed Balsa Bill for more info. I'll look for your board if I decide to head over.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 11:01:01 AM »
Surfdog,
Great looking board, don't worry about the weight.  It will only be a problem when carrying the board to the beach.  I know Mike from Grain and visited the factory last year.  They have the hollow wooden board system dial in, and have reduced the weight quite a bit.  The biggest savings is getting away from solid rails and making them bead and cove, with 1/4 x1/4 strips.  Post some more photos when you can, and good luck with the race.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 12:06:24 PM »
there are advantages to having a heavier vehicle: it will be less affected by chop and the wind, you will have momentum on your side (once you get under way), and it will ride like a cadillac! have fun at the races...
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal