Author Topic: Drysuits for WW paddling  (Read 5825 times)

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Drysuits for WW paddling
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:43:48 AM »
I was wondering if any Zoners have much experience with drysuits and was looking for a recommendation.  I have it narrowed down to three (maybe four) different suits.  They are:

Level 6 Barrier Drysuit
  NRS Inversion drysuit
  NRS Extreme Relief drysuit

and possibly (but unlikely) the NRS Extreme SAR drysuit (only being considered because of the durability).

My main concern is the latex socks versus the fabric socks - NRS uses latex whereas Level 6 uses fabric, and I was wondering about pros and cons of each (as well as durability).  There is about a $300 price difference between the NRS suits and the Level 6 suits, and I was wondering if any NRS users could comment on their experiences (as I would prefer to put that money towards an ULI).

Thanks.

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Drysuits for WW paddling
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:53:09 PM »
A gortex fabric sock is much better.  Latex does not breath and my feet get cold from moisture that is trapped in the latex sock.  They are also more difficult to fit inside booties so layering becomes and issue.  You know that a latex sock will blow out one day whereas you can repair the fabric one if a hole develops. 

If I were you, I would consider Palm (zipper across the shoulders is nice) and Kokatat (best dry suit made).  I know from my personal experience and that of friends that both brands will serve you well for at least a decade.

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »
I like the NPX suit a lot. Looks less dorky than most suits.

http://www.npxwetsuits.com/index.php?option=com_npxproducts&view=detail&id=34&Itemid=84

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 03:52:52 PM »
I've used the Ocean Rodeo suit all winter, and think its great.  It does not have socks though.  Has ankle, wrist and neck latex gussets.  7 mil booties and you're all set.  Its a 2 part suit; the drycore, and a lycra outer skin that protects the drycore and pulls in all that loose fabric so that you almost look like you are wearing a proper wetsuit.

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 04:48:46 PM »
Thanks for the input.  The reason I chose those ones (instead of Kokatat or Ocean Rodeo) is that I'm able to get a good deal on one of those two brands, but not on the others.

PaddleAnything - can you repair the fabric socks?  I know that there are gore-tex patches and that sort of thing but will they keep the suit watertight?  The latex socks are replace-able, so that's why I'm a little hesitant to go for the suit with the fabric socks (that and the difference in price).

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 06:45:26 AM »
With fabric socks all you need is aqua seal to repair a pinhole or seam that leaks.  If the seam tape begins to separate, just glue it back and  aqua seal it.  I know you can send a Kokatat back for a complete sock replacement.  If you get a rip, just glue a patch on from an old tent/jacket whatever.  By wearing a clean sock on the outside of the fabric sock, you can prevent a lot of wear.  I've worn a pair of cheap swim shorts on the outside of my drysuit when kayaking to prevent abrasion issues in the seat area. 

Latex socks are much thicker than fabric.  After about 10 years use of my Kokatat drysuit, the neck gasket went out.  Since I was going to send it off to a guy regionally, it  cost me $190 to replace all the gaskets and have latex socks(fabric was not a option from the shop) installed instead of ankle gaskets as before.  I really need a larger sized shoe just to accommodate the latex.  All my buddies with fancy newer drysuits with fabric socks don't have that issue.  With latex, there is a large amount of thick material above the shoe.  This is less of an issue with fabric. 

I assume fabric cost more due to the labor involved in cutting, sewing, and sealing.  The manufacturer just buys the latex socks from a suppler and attaches them just like the other gaskets. 

For whitewater use, I believe that extra saggy material is a safety issue.  I  don't want extra material around the cuffs and I would never want a large saggy parka on a river.  Extra saggy materials are more likely to rip on thorns and trees when walking in the woods. 

Be careful that you don't save money in the short term only to cost you down the road.  If  you go the traditional drysuit route,  gortex kokatat is well worth three or four hundred more dollars.  Comfort, quality and service will be there for you ten years from now.  I can't say that about NRS or Level 6 suits and I don't know anyone with one that is that old.  BTW, these are just my opinions after using different dry tops/suits for 15+ years.  I'm not associated with Kokatat. 

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 11:11:20 PM »
Friends like their Palm and OS Systems drysuits, both quite durable, comfortable, and affordable. 

definitely a yes on fabric socks - warmer and 2 less gaskets to fix.

Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal