Author Topic: DECK PAD  (Read 22490 times)

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: DECK PAD
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 05:13:22 PM »
gjbsup, Wow, good information.  Yeah the pads all make the board a little heavier (i always notice when I am done for the day and the board is still wet.  I used to use wax for a couple of months but here in FL the hot summer heat and wax just do not work.  Was getting too messy.  Traction pads are the way to go.

riverrat

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 05:27:41 PM »
After trying several pads, I have decided to stick with wax.  In NoCal, while wearing booties, I think the wax provides better traction than pads in waves. 

Some pads seem to soak up less water than others, but, IMHO, they all add too much weight. 

I am going to try some small thin pads in the parallel stance area (where the wax always wears away) and then wax the rest of the board.

Bodach

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 01:54:23 AM »
Hi,

The bubbles where air bubbles that appeared under the deck pads, I used the pin trick and they have stuck back down, will leave the back open when storing now. Many thanks for advice, will be paddling on Friday opposite Burj Al Arab Hotel, unfortunately all the artificial islands they have build in Dubai has killed most of the swell, will need to venture further a field to catch some waves.

Bodach   :)

sylvano

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 04:49:31 AM »
I finally put a piece of that big pad I have been given in the center area (1m long). The back is covered by pieces of black thin pad that I got from a friend who took them off plastic canoes (this pad looks very good, it is a pitty I don't have more pieces!). I'll wax the nose.
By the way, as you don't lay on a SUP Board, why not putting an anti-slipp coat on the nose, as on a windsurf board...?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 05:23:37 AM »
Sorry DW, I meant Davidjohn.

I know there's a lot of work being done on thin coatings for boards to make them waxless. the coatings are permanent, and get tacky when wet to give a better grip than either pads or wax. They can't be applied by hand--they are machine-applied--I don't know why. The idea has been around for years, but most of the stuff that's been tried gives a rash much worse than wax. Of course to a SUP rider that doesn't matter too much.

I like the very thin pads that Starboard uses on their boards and Naish has for their tattoo patterns. They have a smooth surface but give good traction. I doubt they adsorb water in any significant quantity

For that matter I don't know why pads aren't being sold with kiss-cut patterns on them so a small pad could be spread out to cover any board. Less weight and just as much traction
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 03:42:35 PM »
Bill,  Re my deck pad on my Naish...I was given the grip by a friend..so I felt that I should use it and would be a bit rude to not..BTW..white would be the last color that I would use..oh well.

I like the grey oval Naish pads but I've seen a few where the pattern does not match the pattern on the board..and that looks pretty bad IMO...Maybe Naish are on top of that now..Just like they are now on top of the problem with the hand/hole being too far forward..I just got my new 11'6" and it's balanced perfect..just like my 10'6".

I'm just about to stick grip deck in my new 11'6" and have the new Naish camo 3/4 grip with the side ramps like the JL stuff..I think I will take it up to the vent screw hole like I did with my 10'6" and maybe use a similar tail pad...I'll post a pic once its done.

DJ

champcrow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 11:58:20 PM »
What made you go the 3/4 camo deck DJ rather than the oval half deck, was it the match up problem as you said or is the new 3/4 pad better quality? I like the idea of the side ramps but not a big fan of the camo look but i would rather performance over style.........to a degree.....lol

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »
What made you go the 3/4 camo deck DJ rather than the oval half deck, was it the match up problem as you said or is the new 3/4 pad better quality? I like the idea of the side ramps but not a big fan of the camo look but i would rather performance over style.........to a degree.....lol

For me it was an easy choice...I think the camo style grip deck is better for a couple of reasons.

The oval center area is fine more most paddling on flat water but it's near the rails and near the rear that you will need it for turning in the surf..imo..and the oval misses out there...(nothing to do with the pattern)

I was also not a fan of the camo look but after seeing it on my friends C4 I like it now..Also where I paddle a lot (rivers and lakes etc) the grip gets very grubby and dirty and the camo hides it better..and the contour of the grip is better because the oval pads are much more smooth'ish.

I'll let you know how it goes..Once it's on I can test both types together and see if I made the right choice..btw..both grips are about the same price I think.

DJ

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 09:08:09 AM »
DavidJohn,

The white looks really good on the naish, much better than a camo color.  I had the camo on my old SOS and the wife did not like it at all so the PSH boards had to be a different color pad.

Coming from the windsurfing side I too wish there was traction like on windsurf boards (infact you can buy a kit called Re-Deck and roll that stuff on yourself).  If may work pretty good for some people (DJ you wear shoes anyways right?  This is something you may be able to use in the future).  The downside is when you fall or rub across that traction it is going to HURT.  Can you say road rash. LOL

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
I agree the white looks good.

I only wear crocs when I have to..Because I have no grip on the board..or when paddling over reef or rocks..or I just don't know what's down there..or if I have to carry my board a fair way to the water and then have nowhere to store my crocs..So I just wear them...Any chance I get to not wear them I don't wear them.

I know what you mean about the windsurfer type grip..I would not use it because of the chance of falling onto it..and because of the need to be able to knee paddle or even climbing back on after a fall..when kneeling before standing.

I think the full Naish camo grip looks a bit much..So I plan to cut it down a bit and use a tail pad to break up the camo area a bit....I hope to do it today.

DJ

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 11:41:05 PM »
Job done.

I just need to buy a tail pad like I have on the 10'6" and I'll have a nice matching pair of Naish sup's.

It will be intresting to see that those side ramps feel like.

DJ

sylvano

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 05:04:57 AM »
Hi,
I finally could make some pics of my board.
The Pad is on the back some pieces of second hand kayak pads Tey are glued with "pattex" contact glue (works ok). the middle of the board is covered with an auto adhesive pad. It's a very heavy one, more tahn 1cm big!

After seing Sam Pae's multicolor pads, I am thinking in washing the deck and going to buy one of these cheap kids floor puzzle pads (much lighter)...
the board is paddling ok, I am waiting for no wind, no chop, small waves condition to star surfing with it...

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »
Aloha Sylvano,

After seing Sam Pae's multicolor pads, I am thinking in washing the deck and going to buy one of these cheap kids floor puzzle pads (much lighter)...

If you need some help, I'll be willing to help you install the kids puzzle pad. Are you here in Hawaii (Oahu)?
Maybe if anyone else wants to learn, then maybe we can hold some type of class/siminar.. :D

I'm just offering my Mana'o (expirence/knowlege).... ;)

Aloha Sam

sylvano

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 03:09:06 AM »
Hi Sam,

thanks for your goodwill!
Unfortunatly, it seems unprobable to meet eachother on the beach, as I live in Lanzarote (Canary Islands/Spain). I am in the Atlantic ocean, in front of Africa!!!! It is a long paddle to Hawaii!!! ;D
I will start e search in the kids Shops of the Island to find the gear.
If I have any trouble to install the pad, I'll ask you.

Thanks a lot

Hasta luego

windsurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: DECK PAD HEY David John
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 08:36:15 PM »
Hey David John
Have you tried the new NAish Camo pad? How does feel? Please let me know. I am thinking of getting a Naish 11'6
but can not decide to get this pad or order a NSI pad. The Camo does not appeal to me but I am more concerned with the comfort and performance. Thanks

Windsurfer

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]