Author Topic: DECK PAD  (Read 22429 times)

sylvano

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
DECK PAD
« on: March 23, 2008, 02:55:56 AM »
Hi

talking about deck pads,  I cannot find a full deck pad for my 11'6,
I have been given a black 12mm self adhesive pad.
It comes in long sheets (150 x 40 cm).
The problem is that it is very very heavy!
I have an idea to replace it.
My mother use to put a kind of rubber table cloth under her nice white cotton table cloth. The purpose is to avoid the table cloth to slipp from the table.
It is a 3 mm material with circle groove. It is available in big dimensions, easy to cut.
1st question: how to glue it on the board?
2nd question: Is this material efficient as a deck pad (is it non slippery when wet????)?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DECK PAD
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 04:37:03 AM »
I looked at using that stuff also (it's cheap)..and gave up on the idea when I could not work out how to stick in on.. ;D

I ended up buying a yoga mat and cutting it to size and sticking that on.. 8)

But after 6-12 months of use it started breaking down from the sunlight..wearing out..and getting slippery.. :-\

I would suggest forking out the big bucks on the proper stuff..There's heaps out there now.

C4 has a good one..also Naish, JL, and others...I just put Oxbow grip on my new Naish board.

I followed these instructions and it worked perfectly.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cmKmT8Q6jM&feature=user

Good luck with it..Here's a pic of my Oxbow grip..btw..it comes very long and I cut it down.

DJ

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 04:52:03 AM »
I like the Pohaku C4 pads. There on all of my boards. The ''How to Apply ''video from Todd at C4 shows how easy it is to apply the pad. I have some of the camo and solid blue colors. They are thick and have great feel under the feet. My heal and toes can wedge into the linear grooves which give me great traction and helps me maneurver the board. Its soft enough to lay on the board or kneel with out getting a rash. They range in price from $129-$149 depending where you go but they are worth it.
 Go to the manufacturs list on top of the page. When that page loads up ,scroll down to the pad section and check out the many types available. I'm sure others have their own prefrence to a pad. I'm use to this one and like it.. 
''gokite surf'' has the pads for a good price shipped to your door.

http://www.gokitesurf.com/products.asp?CategoryID=139
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 05:36:58 AM »
I'm with GJBSUP.  I used the C4 pad on my 11'6".  Works great!  Got it at www.gopaddlesurf.com  (same as www.gokitesurf.com ) since he is my local SUP dealer.

supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 05:53:03 AM »
All deck pads add weight and when wet become even heavier. Unless you live on the nose, I would not add all that weight to your 11'6.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:42:25 AM »
Great thought DW,  Got me thinking now...I wonder how much weight the pad does add and then with water added from a session in the waves.

Lucky for us,  I was asked  to apply a C4  pad for a friend of mine. He just aquired a S-Tech Laird 12'-1''  and asked me to apply the pad for him. I know its the black  86 x 23 Pohaku pad.   I'll weigh the board first , the pad, then w/ the pad on the board , then i'll weigh the board wet and see the difference.   Will post my findings later..
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

hilton

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 11:52:29 AM »
The folks at NSI are the experts on deck pads.  In fact, they make the pads (OEM) for many of the other brands mentioned.
www.northshoreinc.com
They sell the raw material in a huge array of thicknesses, colors, and textures and offer a variety of pre-cut pads as well.
You can get a 3M peel and stick backing or glue them on with contact (barge) cement.
They also distribute a clear grip traction that saves weight and doesn't hide your graphics.

P.S. They will have carbon paddles soon too.

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »
The C4 pad works great, I had it on my older board.  However I have switched to the Dakine SUP pad and it also works great.  Much easier to put on as it is a 2pc pad.  Added a tail piece as well on mine and some other little things but a great pad overall.  Also a lot cheaper than the C4 if I remember.  The DK pad is $120 retail.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 07:32:49 PM »
DW I can't believe you didn't use the Naish pad--it matches up with the tattoo graphics. Diane has one on her 11'6" and it looks boffo.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bodach

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 02:34:31 AM »
Hi,

First post on here, I have a Mistral Pacifico, I use as a SUP and if the wind kicks in stick a 7.5m2 sail on it, got it last December, last week took it out of board bag on the beach and the deck pad had three large air bubbles, biggest was about 6 inch in diameter x one inch high and I could not get it to go down, in the end I had to pierce the deck pad with a pin and it re-stuck, I live in Dubai UAE and at the moment temp outside is about 30 deg. The board is stored inside and always in a board bag, why would the deck pad have gas bubbles? Any one had this problem?

Hope you guys can help as it will have to be a DIY over here, as it would cost me a small fortune to send back to supplier for warrantee repair.

Many thanks

Bodach

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 03:20:49 AM »
DW I can't believe you didn't use the Naish pad--it matches up with the tattoo graphics. Diane has one on her 11'6" and it looks boffo.

You have me confused with someone else. My friend CB1 has the Naish. From the first batch to arrive in the US last summer. The pads were not available at that time.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 07:27:17 AM »
Hey Bodach,

We are stoked to you on the forum!

Just to clarify, are these bubbles under the pad only?  If so, yes, pierce them, and they will go away.  This has happened to me plenty (with pads that I've laid down and didn't smooth well as I went).  If the board itself is solid, and as long as they stick when pierced, this is nothing to worry about.

Byronmaui

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 02:25:16 PM »
Just applied deck pads on three boards. Had some air bubbles and a needle did the trick. Also if your boards is in a bag make sure it is slightly open.

Aloha

Byron

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »
Yesterday I applied a C4 Pohaku 23x86 deck pad on a Laird SUB
 Here are my findings;
 I used a digital fishing scale w/ a max. weight to 50 lbs. Acurate
 w/in 3-5 oz  (says on back of scale)

C4 Pad weight 2.9 lbs
 Laird SUP 28.8 lbs.  ( made sling/craddle w/110 lb mono fishing line)
Weight of Laird and pad 30.9 lbs(.8# difference is the 3m backing peeled off ,,,I guess)
 Weight of Board and Pad WET after being under water for a 2 hours, 34.2 lbs

Findings:

The wet C4 pad adds a total of 5.4 lbs to a board having a pad as apposed  a board w/ no pad
    This wet pad absorbed 3.3lbs of water. (almost 1/2 gal of water weight)
                    {(if 1 gal of water= 7 lbs)  I left the board upside down for a couple hours. Then weighed board..}

By no means is this experiment accurate. It basically states that a pad will add weight  to an SUP and more when wet.

I know the results can and will vary due to:  type of deck pad used, size of pad, water salinity, temp, absorbtion rate of material used in pad , board and enviornment of experiment..

DW and others are correct that a pad adds weight. Some like the feel under thier feet, others dont.  For me, I like the pad's  feel under my feet,  its for traction, protection of deck and  to maneuver board using toes and heal movements,  plus I hate dealing w/ the wax..   Sacrifice is I'd rather have the extra weight.       Having fun is what its all about..

I hope this helps out.
 Dont hold me to these #'s . These were just my observations trying to find out the weight of a this C4 Pad on a certain SUP.  Good Luck

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:29:38 PM by gjbsup »
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »
The worst place to add weight is the nose. It increases swing weight, making turning less lively.

Thanks for weighing the boards. Nice to have stats to backup instincts.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:50:29 PM by DW »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal