Author Topic: Naish 7'8 Hokua stability test  (Read 9421 times)

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Naish 7'8 Hokua stability test
« on: April 01, 2011, 09:25:02 PM »
Had my sights on the Naish 7'8 Hokua for a summer time small wave south shore board. Borrowed one from the shop and took it out to the harbor today for a stability and flotation test in flat water chop. Winds were around 20mph with only mild chop becasue the harbor is sheltered from the open ocean exposure. I like to do my testing for stability in fairly choppy conditions. The way I figure it,  if it feels stable in the wind and chop then its going to feel pretty good in most other conditions in terms of stability.  I weigh 200lbs, am 5'9", and consider myself advanced in my ability level. This board really surprised me. It felt almost as stable as my 9'3 Hokua which is pretty remarkable considering its size and my weight. The water line was about even with the top of the deck give or take. Of course the board turns on a dime while paddling. One stroke = about a 40 degree turn in radius which is great for quick turn and go take-offs which I like to do. So far I am pretty impressed as it passed the stability test with flying colors. I will borrow it again and see how it performs in the surf which will be the other major factor to consider before purchasing. Just goes to show that even though this board is rated for a max advanced rider weight of 190 it is still no problem for us heavier folks. I would think it may even float someone in the 215 range.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish 7'8 Hokua stability test
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:42:57 PM »
Had my sights on the Naish 7'8 Hokua for a summer time small wave south shore board. Borrowed one from the shop and took it out to the harbor today for a stability and flotation test in flat water chop. Winds were around 20mph with only mild chop becasue the harbor is sheltered from the open ocean exposure. I like to do my testing for stability in fairly choppy conditions. The way I figure it,  if it feels stable in the wind and chop then its going to feel pretty good in most other conditions in terms of stability.  I weigh 200lbs, am 5'9", and consider myself advanced in my ability level. This board really surprised me. It felt almost as stable as my 9'3 Hokua which is pretty remarkable considering its size and my weight. The water line was about even with the top of the deck give or take. Of course the board turns on a dime while paddling. One stroke = about a 40 degree turn in radius which is great for quick turn and go take-offs which I like to do. So far I am pretty impressed as it passed the stability test with flying colors. I will borrow it again and see how it performs in the surf which will be the other major factor to consider before purchasing. Just goes to show that even though this board is rated for a max advanced rider weight of 190 it is still no problem for us heavier folks. I would think it may even float someone in the 215 range.

its a killer board...I've had it out in pretty heavy chop, and the board was fine. I like it better in less wind, but the board can handle it.

If how it handles in the surf is the only thing your purchase hinges on now, you might as well get the board. It's a ripper for sure ;-)

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:29:41 AM »
I will borrow it again and see how it performs in the surf which will be the other major factor to consider before purchasing.

I would just issue a word of warning: these ShortSUPs are actually quite stable  statically, the troubles begin when you try to apply power for take off. So do not reject the board if you cannot take a wave in your first session, short boards needs practice to acquire the new technique, but do not worry, progresses are really fast. I have summarized the ShortSUP technique at http://www.gongsup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17505 if you didn't already saw it.

If the 7'8" is really 105l, based on archimedes law, people above ~95kg (210lbs) will just sink it, and riders above 85kg (190lbs) will really have a hard time with any chop. However, manufacturers published volumes are often innacurate.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 05:02:25 AM »

I would just issue a word of warning: these ShortSUPs are actually quite stable  statically, the troubles begin when you try to apply power for take off. So do not reject the board if you cannot take a wave in your first session, short boards needs practice to acquire the new technique, but do not worry, progresses are really fast. I have summarized the ShortSUP technique at http://www.gongsup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17505 if you didn't already saw it.

If the 7'8" is really 105l, based on archimedes law, people above ~95kg (210lbs) will just sink it, and riders above 85kg (190lbs) will really have a hard time with any chop. However, manufacturers published volumes are often innacurate.

It is awesome as all you really need to do is step back :-) I love it.

So a board with 105 should be able to float about 109 kg in saltwater right? Then it floats a 95kg person, + board weight. I think the given volume (someone mentioned here that is was the eps shape that was template for volume so it would be a little more, but not that much...

I mean looking at the board though, it can't be a lot more than the given volume. :-)

It is impressive that OP can ride it..and it is impressive that the board stays relatively stable in almost neutral buoyancy.

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:20:15 AM »
Hey Colas thanks for posting that, I'm excited to try out some of those tips and apply them to my 7'8 hokua,  just out of curiosity, in the video what is the size and width of the board being used? those gong boards look pretty damn cool, i wish they where available in the states.
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bonita Vacation Rentals
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »
Do you think a 160lb guy could go 7'3.? Seems like I would be a tweener.  After exploring the custom route for east coast beach break surfing, I think I am back to the Hokua.  Decided against a custom sight unseen and Tim Nolte in OBX is jammed up.  Safe bet would be the 7'8 but could I have the same experience at my weight on a 7'3 that you +/-185rs are having on the 7'8?   

DW, any of your buds try your wife's 7'3?  Give a report!  Its time to pull the trigga!

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 10:53:31 AM »
I havent tried the 7'3 and have the 7'8 and feel like the difference between the 2 are very small, with only 5 inches between the 2 i chose to air on the side of safety and go with the extra 5, BTW i'm 5'11 around 175, the 7'8 hokua kicks ass! super light and fast on the wave but it def. tires you out quicker than a bigger SUP.  I'm also covered head to toe in 5 mil neoprene so am def. looking forward to shedding that extra skin which will make it more enjoyable.

I think the lowest i'll go eventually will be an even 7 if somebody makes the right board as for now the 7'8 gives me plenty of stoke with still a great amount of potential
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »

DW, any of your buds try your wife's 7'3?  Give a report!  Its time to pull the trigga!

We have two 7'3s in the line up down here. My buddy at 145lbs has a 7'3. He said its a challenge on choppy days.

Pick based on width. I'm finding 29 1/4 is perfect for me, regardless of length. The 7'3 looks a lot smaller when they are side by side. I've surfed every board my wife ever owned except the 7'3, because I sunk it.

maui wave warrior, I agree with you. My 9'3 wasn't much different than my 7'8 in side to side stability. I recall taking way longer to get relaxed on the 9'3. I've gotten comfortable on the 7'8 in half that time. The 7'8 seems to have a magic template (volume distribution) for making it easy! You might call it the idiot proof clumsy template designed just for me  ;D

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 02:58:43 PM »

We have two 7'3s in the line up down here. My buddy at 145lbs has a 7'3. He said its a challenge on choppy days.

Pick based on width. I'm finding 29 1/4 is perfect for me, regardless of length. The 7'3 looks a lot smaller when they are side by side. I've surfed every board my wife ever owned except the 7'3, because I sunk it.

maui wave warrior, I agree with you. My 9'3 wasn't much different than my 7'8 in side to side stability. I recall taking way longer to get relaxed on the 9'3. I've gotten comfortable on the 7'8 in half that time. The 7'8 seems to have a magic template (volume distribution) for making it easy! You might call it the idiot proof clumsy template designed just for me  ;D

I got this weird idea that I could even go on the 7'3''///I obviously haven't tried it, since I gained some xmas weight...but the 7'8'' is still going strong.

I'd agree that the 7'8'' feels about at stable as the 9'3''..it is funny how the templates develop from surfing into something that is much more pure SUP, with volume in the center, and the tail narrow as anything I've had as regular surfboards.

Have you ridden in thruster much?

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bonita Vacation Rentals
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 05:20:18 PM »
Considering that I will have no chance to demo one of these puppies, nor even see one in person, your collective feedback is invaluable.  So thank you!

Sounds like I cant go wrong with the 7'8. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
As long as we've got a lot of 7'8 users in this thread, we should share what fins we're using.

I think I've finally settled on thruster instead of quad. I've gone back and forth and tried several sets of quads. Each time I come back to thrusters, it just feels more right to me. I'm running H3s right now. I use the FCS longboard box adapter to make the rear fin fit.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »

I admittedly have not really experimented too much with the fins on that board. I actually enjoy the quad a lot. It feel very well balanced...feels like I can push out the tial, but also easily put it on its rail.

I have ridden it thruster, and it seems to work well for smaller waves, where I like the quad for a little speedier waves, which is where I generally ride that board. Overall if I had to choose between thruster and quad I'd probably go quad. I live the small backfins. Loosen up the ride.

I did pick up an Aipa center fin, which is pretty small...more like a regular m7 or something thereabout. Be fun to try that setup. I think I have managed to loose the original fin..what size was that? I probably left it on the beach while switching....ugh.

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 10:34:49 PM »
how it compares to Mana 9' ?

in what conditions mana 9' will be better and in what conditions this 7'8" will be better?

how big adjustment it will be for me to switch between both?

is it that I buy 7'8" and will not need my 9' ?

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 01:48:12 AM »
how it compares to Mana 9' ?

in what conditions mana 9' will be better and in what conditions this 7'8" will be better?

how big adjustment it will be for me to switch between both?

is it that I buy 7'8" and will not need my 9' ?

Obviously it'll be more tippy. I've only had the 9'0'' mana out a few times....but I have had it decent size wave.

I think the boards will overlap pretty well. Use the 7'8'' for beach break waves, and the mana for rolling swell. If the chop and kicks up too much, get the mana out, when it is more glassy and clean get the 7'8''. It will probably take a little time to get used to the 7'8'', but once you've ridden it the mana will feel like a boat (not really), but being on the 7'8'' will sharpen your skills on both boards. The hokua rips around, where the mana has more drivey feel.

I tend to like taking out different boards, and think the board fits conditions. Personally I think switching is no problem. Unless you always surf the same wave, I think you can easily have a good use for more than one board. 

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 02:09:05 AM »
Hey Colas thanks for posting that, I'm excited to try out some of those tips and apply them to my 7'8 hokua,  just out of curiosity, in the video what is the size and width of the board being used? those gong boards look pretty damn cool, i wish they where available in the states.

The guy was somewhat of a SUP beginner, the board is the miapolis http://www.gongsup.com/Miapolis-6-8.html 6'8" x 33.5" 111 liters
The Naish 7'3" and 7'8" seem to have fantastic shapes too. Pity they are not made in more sizes to adapt to more kind of people, but I guess they will expand the range with time.

"It is awesome as all you really need to do is step back :-)" - yes my rear leg is sore after a ShortSUP session. Basically to take off, you have your rear foot really far back, and when you feel the "bump" of the wave lifting it, try to transfer all your weight on it, as if you wanted to squash this bump and prevent it to rise. You will take off basically just by the "corking" effect, and also you will find that applying rear foot pressure prevents most of the row

On the fins, do not hesitate to put big rear fins at first, it will ease dramatically your learning curve. On my 6'6" I had 2x 6'5" fins at the rear. For learning you want to be able to catch some waves from time to time, not just spinning in place.

Also, on the first rides, try to just let the board ride itself to get accustomed to it. Then you can apply pressure in turns when you feel how it will react.

On replacing a 9' board? no way! These ShortSUP are fun and can be ridden in a surprising range of conditions, but you need to be in the mood for it, and you lose the glide feeling of traditional SUPing. ShortSUP are great second (or 3rd or .. :-) boards, but I would advise agianst having them as only board.

FYI, I have now a 6'6" with volume (130l for my 100kg) and width (33"+) for the choppy everyday beachbreak waves, and a killer 7'10" with less volume (118l) and width (29" 1/3) for the good days (more photos at http://colas.imgur.com/7RI19 )

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal