Author Topic: Kialoa Shaka Puu  (Read 6309 times)

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kialoa Shaka Puu
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
Hi,

Looking for advice on my next paddle. The paddle I use right now is a Werner Spanker and I would like to add a smaller blade paddle to the quiver. I am most interested in the Kialoa Shaka Puu and looking for opinions on it. Does the lack of a dihedral make the paddle feel like a bigger blade? Has anyone felt shoulder pain with it? I have heard Kialoa paddles have good flex. Thanks.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kialoa Shaka Puu
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »
IMO the Poo is almost the same size as the Spanker.. You'd be better off going with the Methane if you're after a smaller blade.

I like the flat blade that the Kialoa's have and their shafts do have a really nice flex to them.. My friend (Oliver) who's been using a Spanker for a few years now has just bought a Methane and I called him yesterday to ask how it is and he said he loves it and got used to it straight away.

DJ

Mcnally78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 08:01:43 PM »
This is my fav paddle. I have one of every size kialoa makes. The size of shaft is slightly under some of the other big names when it comes to diamenter. This is a positive in my book. I have big hands, but don't want a huge shaft to grab on to. It has a little flex, but not as much as many others. My shoulders never hurt from equipment. The shaka puu is my "go to" paddle. Good compromise between blade size and ability to do a lot of reps per min.  

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:12:14 AM »
I have Shaka, but would like to try Methane. My bad shoulders do ok with Shaka. I'm a big XXL dude who surfs 4 hours a week. Good Luck and you will enjoy your Kialoa

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 06:23:29 PM »
I have Shaka, but would like to try Methane. My bad shoulders do ok with Shaka. I'm a big XXL dude who surfs 4 hours a week. Good Luck and you will enjoy your Kialoa

I have both and still use both.  I am 190 and do not have any problems with either paddle.  I came from the C4's which at first were great but I too was getting shoulder and elbow pains.  If you are a bigger guy I think you might still like the shaka pu'u better. 

For just in the waves the methane is great.  Couple of strokes and off you go.  If I am playing in the surf/cruising etc I go with the shaka. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 08:22:01 PM »
The Shaka Puu is my goto surfing paddle. I consider myself to be a critical tester--too much weight, a lot of paddling and very bad shoulders--any worse and they'd be laying on a floor somewhere. I've tried dozens of paddles. I have five. I surf with the Shaka Puu unless my shoulders are just way too toasted and then it's the Jimmy Lewis with a Kanaha blade until they recover.

I don't like the Methane. Hard to get into the medium-sized (chest to head high) mushy waves with it. I need that last big shot. I trimmed a quarter inch off a Shaka Puu trying to get somewhere in between. Sold it, bought another, left it alone.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 12:23:38 AM »
I just picked up a nitro a smaller paddle for flat water distance paddling and it works good. I then used it in over head surf the last two days and I'm hooked it worked great, can't even think about going back to the other paddle. It's light, the narrow blade lets you reach out for the catch without any board contact but the recovery coming out of the water is crazy fast with a light feel to it.

I have not tried a Shaka Puu to compare them to.

Good luck

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 08:38:59 AM »
Agree with DJ, the Shaka Puu is very close in size to the Spanker.  The Methane would be a better choice if you want to try smaller.  I race with the Methane and tend to surf with the Shaka.  Good luck!
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 04:09:41 PM »

I trimmed a quarter inch off a Shaka Puu trying to get somewhere in between. Sold it, bought another, left it alone.

After you trimmed it what did you do to dress up the edges?  Did you have to epoxy it?

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 08:30:50 AM »
I think the Puu, although it may be close in size to the Spanker, feels like it has a smaller blade.  The lack of dihedral doesn't affect anything in my opinion.  It has good flex, not too much though.  I have had zero problems w/ shoulder pain.  I too consider this my go-to paddle for everything.  It has a nice lively feel that other brands of paddle lack.
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal