Author Topic: sup boards at MEC  (Read 17674 times)

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
sup boards at MEC
« on: March 26, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
was at MEC the other day, there are five or 6 boards, few useless eleven footers (Laird, Jimmy Stycks) and two real gems: Bark 12'4" and Bark Dominator 14'. Never saw Bark alive. its amazing... piece of art really... made me think...

they also have paddles, from 60$ to 300$. two kialoa models. what surprised me with Kialoa (and not in a good way) is a handle. Just a plain tee, no ergonomics.

MEC is canadian analog to REI. yesterday got their catalog... and the boards are there too... but not Bark.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: sup boards at MEC
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
One sales rep for all Surf Tech and Kialoa stuff - "sold out" to MEC in Canada.
The staff have no clue about anything to do with stand up.
Shame to see good brands end up this way.
Most independent shops have cut orders or dropped all together.
(me being one who dropped the stuff completely).
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Dan55

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »
@easy, just wondering why you dropped the stuff - surftech + kialoa or just one of the two?) I was at MEC yesterday and saw the collection of sup boards as well. Indeed, am not sure why they bought the board I saw.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:58:06 PM »
I dropped both because I found out about MEC and Atmosphere (a cheesy mall outdoor store) being opened with Surftech stuff about 2 months after I had placed my booking orders last fall. 
These stores being opened in my city added 6 more doors selling the product that were not dealers when I place my orders.   
That and it was myself that found out about them being opened - it did not come from the company or the sales rep and I will not support those who do not support me.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:12:42 PM »
Warren, I feel your pain.  We've been carrying Surftech for a couple of years at the shop I work at and we just found out that MEC was going to be carrying almost the exact same line as we have (although we don't do the Bark boards).  This seems to be a disturbing trend among suppliers now - rather than allow the smaller shops to retain their exclusivity, they sell to as many dealers as they can.

If it's the same sales rep for Alberta as it is for BC, I'm not surprised that he didn't let you know.  We have a hell of a time getting ANY kind of dealer support from Surftech . . .

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 05:49:19 AM »
Same sales rep. 
Sad part is I have personally known this rep for 20+ years.
As recent as the summer of 2009 - said rep was anti sup. 
He was in town that summer and I invited him to a demo at a lake 15 minutes from town and I got the "I don't sup, I surf bro" reply. 

Oh well, the other lines I deal with (Starboard / Naish / Coreban / Riviera / 404 / Hobie / Rogue / Jimmy Lewis / C4) were more than happy to sell me some extra product.

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 05:54:36 AM »
I've been hearing the same thing about Surftech trying to flood the market with boards. Luckily the brands I carry RogueSUP, Jimmy Lewis and Coreban aren't like that.
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: sup boards at MEC
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 06:04:23 AM »
Makes me want to sell my board. I'm curious, I've known a couple of bike shop owners and a friend who almost opened a shop. They all talked about a certain radius from their shop that would prevent dealer overlap. Anything like that up in Canada?

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 06:15:14 AM »
Yes - ALL of the SUP brands I carry (not Surf Tech any more) as well as all of the other sports brands I sell (snowboard / skateboard / sunglasses / shoes / etc) all have and honor distribution agreements.
If they are ever going to open another dealer in the area it is discussed months before "booking season" even starts.
Not 2 months after pre season orders have been handed in.

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: sup boards at MEC
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 06:36:24 AM »
2011 is really working you over! At least you have the mall pool. Keep the faith, bro.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 06:43:47 AM »
Wait... Doesn't surf tech make and distribute Rusty SUP's ... Much like the surf tech rep, Rusty, or his Rusty clothing line owner, or was it his chauffeur Charlie, is totally anti-SUP... And advocates their murder... But it is just satire I think... And if anyone was offended Charlie apologized, but thinks that you are too thin skinned ...

Surftech's ethical practices continue!

Warren, keep standing up!

Surftech's loss is hopefully their competitors' gain.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 10:10:54 AM »
^^ Yup - I get great support from my other SUP lines.
Declan and Svein at Starboard
Charlie at Naish
Ian at Rogue
Jim and Lizze at Quickblade
Mike and Brandon at Riviera & 404
Mark at Hobie
Lee at Jimmy Lewis
Deano at C4
Steve and Linus at Coreban

ALL are Stand Up People.  (the other SUP) ;D

dropinh2o

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 10:54:13 AM »
hi Warren,

i loved your line about "i will not support those who do not support me.  great attitude. i wish i lived a little closer to try out your indoor pool/wave sessions. i have met Lee from Jimmy Lewis.  way to represent the independent dealers. 

dropinh2o

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
meant to say Lee from Jimmy Lewis is a great guy to deal with. look forward to seeing some pic's from the indoor wave pool.

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 05:54:01 PM »
Wait... Doesn't surf tech make and distribute Rusty SUP's ... Much like the surf tech rep, Rusty, or his Rusty clothing line owner, or was it his chauffeur Charlie, is totally anti-SUP... And advocates their murder... But it is just satire I think... And if anyone was offended Charlie apologized, but thinks that you are too thin skinned ...

Surftech's ethical practices continue!

Warren, keep standing up!

Surftech's loss is hopefully their competitors' gain.

Tim

I saw that ad too...

Surftech doesn't make rusty SUPs, Boardworks does. http://www.boardworkssup.com/boards/rusty.php

Kinda of an interesting perspective that they took there with that campaign...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal