Author Topic: Beach Break Board???  (Read 9534 times)

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bonita Vacation Rentals
    • Email
Re: Beach Break Board???
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 06:56:37 AM »
Thanks guys for the suggestions.  I had not heard of some of the above mentioned boards and will enjoy checking them out. 

I like the sound of a light board given that most of the fun will be swinging the nose around and doing small floaters etc in the sloppy surf.

Wind is still blowing down here in Puerto Rico but we have had some decent swell the past few days!

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 07:03:16 AM »
Starboard 8'5" Pocket Rocket is awesome in Beach Break waves.

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 07:30:36 AM »
Hey FMS, I checked out the solidsurfco.com page.  That Rocket SUP looks awesome.  What is your height and weight?  If you were only going to have one board would you go bigger than 8'0.  How is the durability?  Prices is certainly right.  Thanks.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 09:19:09 AM »
Whatever board you choose, make sure it has plenty of tail rocker.

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 10:32:55 AM »
The Rocket is a super fun board ! I weigh around 176 lbs and I am 5'8 . As far as durability goes I would say its good. The glass is relatively heavy , definitely over 6oz. If I could  have only one board I would certainly consider something around 9 + . Probably keep my PSH 9'11 extra wr or 9'4 wr . It's so nice to be able to paddle a couple miles to a different break, and man add a a couple inches to your board and what a difference it makes .

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 10:49:54 AM »
In april we will head back to Delaware where we have weak beach break surfing. 

When you say weak beach break, do you mean soft breaking waves?  Like non-critical drops?  Or just that the size is small?

I would think, depending on the wave type, you'd pick two different kinds of boards.

For example, I ride beach break, but it's usually big, steep, and fast.  My optimal board has lots of nose rocker and is fairly short for the late steep drops, narrow-ish and good tail rocker to be ridden from the tail for quick turn-in and speed to make sections.  I haven't surfed weak(soft/small) break too much, but I'd image you'd want less rocker for more glide, maybe more length, width, and nose volume as well.

It's curious to see all the recommendations, but I don't fully understand what conditions exactly everyone is imagining in this case?

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 11:08:55 AM »
By weak, I mean 2-4 foot wind swell coming across a shallow sand bar.  Short period.  This is the most common conditions.  When the wave breaks it is generally steep but not real powerful.  We rarely get a true long period swell, but when we do it creates a very steep fast moving wave.  This is much more the exception than the rule.  My hope is to find a short board style SUP that would be fun in either of the above but recognizing the former is more the norm.  A long board style of riding is less attractive to me since most of the coast here is just random sand bars with no long peeling surf.  So when my buddies are out there riding their 6-7 footers or fish boards, I can be close by on a short board SUP.   Thats my goal anyway.

Thanks again for all the interest and feed back.   

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 02:02:46 PM »

Picture's worth a thousand words.  This would be a great day in summer.  Looking for a short board type SUP that would work well in the conditions pictured here.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 05:32:29 PM »
I'm guessing that your vid represents a lot of "real" hometown break conditions.  If someone could nail down a couple of boards that absolutly rip in conditions like those,  i think they would sell a whole lot of them.

i'm really interested in the replys to your post/vid.

Any reps or dealers out there that can recomend the perfect board for real-world conditions?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »

Picture's worth a thousand words.  This would be a great day in summer.  Looking for a short board type SUP that would work well in the conditions pictured here.

Looks just like this to me. Typical home conditions. My other boards are collecting dust.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:09:22 PM by DW »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »
This may or may not look good to you. We're pleased with it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:08:43 PM by DW »

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 09:31:48 AM »
D Dub, you guys were tearin it sup!  Isnt it amazing how much fun you can have just being on the water on a nice day.   Those Naish's look fun on just about anything.  Before I make the final call, I plan to talk to Tim Nolte in Nags head.  He is all about SUP right now and may have him make me a custom.  Just going through the process with a shaper who really knows his business could be a lot of fun.  No guarantees on the results but the process is really fun.  The Solid surf customs suggested earlier look nice as does Tim Smalls Grim Ripper.  So many choices and so little time.  Thanks for the posts! 

VonR

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 11:17:03 AM »
I have a couple of customs from Dan at Solid. He made a 8'6" x 29" x 4.25" for me last year. It was a fun board, but still a little big for me. I'm 5'6" and 140 lbs. Right now I'm riding a 8'2" x 28" x 3.75" that Dan shaped for me. This board is based off of his DisFun shape. We put a little more rocker in the nose and gave it some single concave from the nose to double concave in the tail. This board is super light and a blast to ride. Dan just finished shaping an even smaller SUP for me last week. This one is 7'6" x 29" x 3/75". We based this board off of a new shortboard shape of his called the Spork. This little guy is made out of all recycled EPS. It has a shortboard nose rounded off at the very end with a touch of winger in the tail and a wide moon tail. I'll post some photos when it's all glassed up.

Dan is really cranking out some great SUP shapes. I'd give him a call if you're leaning towards a custom.

Aloha,
Jeff
Aloha,
Jeff

VonR

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »
Here are a couple photos of the boards Dan has made for me.
Aloha,
Jeff

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
Hey Mark, nice looking sticks.  Really like the outline of the one in the bottom photo.  Does Dan ride his stuff?  I find that it really helps when the guy shaping is a user as well. 

Check out this little vid from down under.  Nice 8'2 in sloppy stuff that we are talking about here.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal