Author Topic: what should be my first paddle?  (Read 2076 times)

AU_marathoner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
what should be my first paddle?
« on: March 27, 2011, 01:19:02 PM »
OK, I made my first post earlier in the week asking for info about an economical first SUP board (see "lower priced boards for first board?" post) and got some good feedback. Consensus was to buy used board and to put the money (since I'm on a budget) into the paddle and get a "good" paddle.

So, what are your thoughts on a "good" first paddle? Any specific brands to look for or stay away from? What about the material the paddle is made out of? I assume I'm looking for a lightweight and durable combo?

Keep in mind that I'm a rookie and have only been renting up until this point (so there's still a lot I do not know!). Thanks all for your help!

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: what should be my first paddle?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
 "Wood is good"... Whiskeyjack makes a great wood paddle (The Ocho) that will NOT destroy your shoulders. Light, at around 1.5 pound. Plus; they are beautiful 'to boot'! Oh; and inexpensive at around $210... And did I mention that the center is filled with some great sour whiskey? OK; that last part was stretching it a bit  ;D, but they are great paddles... Paddle on,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:31:19 PM »
As you improve in SUPing, you will probably get different boards, but if you start out with a good paddle, you'll be able to use it for a long time. I'd suggest you start out with the best one you can afford

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:12:54 PM »
I would say a carbon adjustable like a Werner or Quickblade.  Takes a while to dial in your length.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »
I would go with the best paddle you can afford.  Carbon Fiber QB Kanaha was my first paddle... and is still my "go to" surf paddle.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal