Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 404086 times)

justingordon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • talksurf.com
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #1080 on: June 05, 2014, 12:21:21 AM »
Here were the conditions today! Textbook Maliko!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0brEz22SwY

Sorry for the shakey video. I had to hold the go-pro with a string from my mouth!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:54:40 AM by Admin »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1081 on: June 06, 2014, 01:14:28 AM »
Big E swell today.  Tough for me to make connections but a few worked out for speedy glides.  The 14's and 16's had great fun surfing the steep drops. 

http://youtu.be/Ohweou-yiZ8
Support your local shaper

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1082 on: June 07, 2014, 10:31:58 PM »
Finally the kind of day we dream about.  Two women stepped up the game off North Shore Maui and went around 20 miles.  They were smilin' at the finish.   And though they aren't old, these gals aren't young either... just hardcore and tuned in.

The bar level of DW paddling just keeps getting higher.

Sorry to tell you this Cove.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1083 on: June 07, 2014, 10:53:18 PM »
Here's a great pic from Jimmie Hepp showing what DW conditions were like today.  I didn't go short but some of my pals did and blundered right through the race course.  Lots of swearing but my pals are as old as me and can't hear.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1084 on: June 08, 2014, 07:15:43 AM »
Finally the kind of day we dream about.  Two women stepped up the game off North Shore Maui and went around 20 miles.  They were smilin' at the finish.   And though they aren't old, these gals aren't young either... just hardcore and tuned in.

Devin and Andrea are awesome to do Keanae on standup.  Very big deal in my book.  (And it's 25 miles).  Cove would be wise to be cautious when contemplating this run, on outrigger or heaven forbid, standup.  The first 10 miles are not fun at all.  I remember the side-on conditions sweeping me out of my seat twice.  Just brutal.

Maliko was really cranking on Saturday.  I was very cautious, nice wide line around the reef.  About 1.5 miles out at the airport.  It takes me about 4 minutes longer than a medium day straight across the reef, but I'm just not feeling the big ones these days.  I can't seem to stitch together the big ones with any confidence.  And without that, shooting the reef on a big day is a risky proposition on a ski.  Not worth the risk of a spin out and tumble. 

I had a good zoomer at Hookipa but it was just one.  Big links are fun if it works, but the commitment has to be there.  That connection was half luck, half skill.

These clips are on the reef at Kanaha, way outside, skirting the reef.  Big drops can be mighty scary in a ski.  I fell in the gulch and it took me 4 tries to remount.  Not the best way to start a big, windy run.  In ski, if you don't feel on top of the conditions, it's better just to hang back and be safe.  Only when I'm really loose and fluid with good leg drive will I attack the big lefts with abandon.  Oh well, maybe next time.  Fun day.  Big bombs out there.       

http://youtu.be/dLmtdPxqv2g     

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: June 08, 2014, 08:46:11 AM »
Wow, knowing how GoPro squash down those bombers, that looks like a big day. Glad to see you guys are getting some good stuff. It's been blowing like stink here in Hood River, making me even more nutty standing on the sidelines.

I've always wanted to do a Kaenae run. My neighbor, Will Mahin used to do them all the time on his F16. He considered Malikos to be too short. Kids and work have taken up a lot of his time, but he's one hell of a waterman. I'll probably do one with him next year, if only to check it off the bucket list.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: June 08, 2014, 12:02:25 PM »

I was sorry to miss it yesterday but fatigue has made itself obvious on the last few runs. I'm hoping that not going yesterday will diminish my lack of balance issues that I've been struggling with the last couple of runs.

Conditions look promising for later on today and actually, all week. Like we talked about, the steady trades and long fetch are setting up some primo swell conditions. I'm very excited to go today. Wish there was a way I could get some decent pictures but I have never liked the way the gopro comes out. I may take it anyway though.

Pretty cool to have those gals out there stepping up the game. They're pretty inspiring, even if they do kick most of our asses on a regular basis.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1087 on: June 08, 2014, 11:40:46 PM »
Wind backed off a bit Sunday, which was good for me.  I find it easier to see the path.  The big boat was really rolling along fine today, super fun surf on the swells. 

No fear of crashing like yesterday, so I was able to step on the gas all day.  Chopped 3 minutes off yesterday's time.  Strange how my perception of maliko can change.  Yesterday I was ready to quit the ski because it was so damn hard.  Today I want to get a V-14.  What a difference a day makes... 

Super blue water and skies.  Truly magnificent out there.

Cove got a nice outrigger.  If he backs off a bit (I warned him not to try and keep up with Kathy)  and learns to rest, he should break the hour this year.  He's going good on the standup.  When I switched to outrigger I had the hour in less than 10 runs.  And he's better than I was.  Ha ha, another one over to the dark side!  You're next up Southbay!  You guys are gonna suffer some serious brain damage on your first maliko.  I hope I'm around.   

http://youtu.be/8cwZ7ZpknnM

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: June 09, 2014, 02:27:55 AM »
Today's goal for me was not to fall. I agree with you LPB, when it gets full rock n roll, I have to back it off too. Today was near perfection for a nice smooth run. It wasn't my fastest run but I was pretty happy with how I paddled it. I did fall when RR caught me, on the last section before the harbor entrance. I got distracted and boofed but I gave myself a pass for making it nearly the entire way with full concentration. The water and sky were incredible out there today, the ocean was the most beautiful deep, dark blue. It is truly a blessing to be able to paddle here.

As much as I wanted to paddle the outrigger this morning and then do a Maliko on the standup in the afternoon, I took the morning off and reaped a much better Maliko run as a result. I can't wait until conditions are favorable for trying my first downwind run in the canoe. I'm hoping Southbay gets a boat soon, that is going to be great!

I know I'm pushing myself right up to my limits and it isn't because I'm trying to get faster or train hard. It is just so fun to paddle here, I really cannot get enough. But I'm hearing a voice in my head lately urging 'balance grasshoppah, balance.'

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1089 on: June 09, 2014, 09:34:08 AM »
Adding outrigger to your standup is going to help in many ways.  Since we are both up in our 50's, I'm very sensitive to overtraining.  That's why I keep harping on you to slow down and take it easy.  You know your limits better than I do, so the advice is as much for me as to keep you on the water.

The great thing about boats is they reward patience.  "relax and keep the nose going downhill'  is going to take on a whole new meaning when you start downwinding in a boat.  Big fun, easy on the body.

When you sit low on the water and look for runs, your visual sense of the ocean will adjust in ways that cannot be taught.  That knowledge will transfer in a very positive way when you get back on standup.  You will see new paths - act on them - and they will work.  The new lines will be faster and easier.   

The short paddle is easier to keep vertical.  When you start to feel how effective a tiny pull at the proper moment is, your standup stroke will change.  It will be more efficient.  You will start to look more like Jeremy and Kathy on the water.  Paddle less, surf more.   Boats are really good at rewarding timing.  Your footwork will change to support the proper stroke.  I'm always telling standups to cross step more.  Some do, some don't.  You will.  Your footwork will change when you learn to fly the ama.

As time passes and you start to get comfy in the swells, you will see a huge variation of paddlers.  Faster standups, all sorts of outriggers.  Some young guys will pass you hammering downwind.  They can push right up to lactate threshold for the entire run, just ramming into everything.  You will also see old ladies and old guys dropping those meatheads - floating along, picking smarter lines.  Then you will see the best floating by effortlessly and wonder how they can do sub 50 malikos.  They will tell you the same thing.  'Relax and keep the nose going downhill.'

Here's a cool video of Jeremy laying down power with one foot in front of the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeSxrrIBZgI
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:58:16 AM by LaPerouseBay »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1090 on: June 09, 2014, 10:18:09 AM »
Adding outrigger to your standup is going to help in many ways.  Since we are both up in our 50's, I'm very sensitive to overtraining.  That's why I keep harping on you to slow down and take it easy.  You know your limits better than I do, so the advice is as much for me as to keep you on the water.

The great thing about boats is they reward patience.  "relax and keep the nose going downhill'  is going to take on a whole new meaning when you start downwinding in a boat.  Big fun, easy on the body.

When you sit low on the water and look for runs, your visual sense of the ocean will adjust in ways that cannot be taught.  That knowledge will transfer in a very positive way when you get back on standup.  You will see new paths - act on them - and they will work.  The new lines will be faster and easier.   

The short paddle is easier to keep vertical.  When you start to feel how effective a tiny pull at the proper moment is, your standup stroke will change.  It will be more efficient.  You will start to look more like Jeremy and Kathy on the water.  Paddle less, surf more.   Boats are really good at rewarding timing.  Your footwork will change to support the proper stroke.  I'm always telling standups to cross step more.  Some do, some don't.  You will.  Your footwork will change when you learn to fly the ama.

As time passes and you start to get comfy in the swells, you will see a huge variation of paddlers.  Faster standups, all sorts of outriggers.  Some young guys will pass you hammering downwind.  They can push right up to lactate threshold for the entire run, just ramming into everything.  You will also see old ladies and old guys dropping those meatheads - floating along, picking smarter lines.  Then you will see the best floating by effortlessly and wonder how they can do sub 50 malikos.  They will tell you the same thing.  'Relax and keep the nose going downhill.'

Here's a cool video of Jeremy laying down power with one foot in front of the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeSxrrIBZgI
Great vid.  Don't normally enjoy this POV but with JR in action it was exciting. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1091 on: June 11, 2014, 01:44:53 AM »
Wind was light at the start today but filled in about half way down the run.  I was inside when the wind started.  It was far too strong to allow me to escape to an outside line.  It was spooky - about .6 mi out from the airport.  Fear of getting tagged is a good motivator.  Most exciting run of the summer for me.  Super fun.  I was ready to run to the beach at the drop of a hat, but got lucky.   

http://youtu.be/o_qpTt1isdM

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: June 11, 2014, 08:14:50 AM »
That's exactly what I don't like about running the middle slot at Kanaha. When things change--and they often do--you can be in the wrong place with nowhere to go except a spooky bailout over the reef. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1093 on: June 11, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »
Indeed.  And it's worse for you because you do it in the winter.  NW swells do some odd things in there. 

Here's my line from yesterday, the video was between the red lines.  The wind picked up just as I hit Spreck's.  I tried to get outside, made some progress then got pushed in.  Full concentration at the airport, listening for white water running me down.  When I saw that light aqua color and looked over at my distance to the sand all I could say was 'Oh hell.'  Lucky for me the ski kept moving.  Loss of hull speed and a spin is just brutal in there.  Far steeper than the video appears.

I worked hard and used every trick to try to work out after that video.  It's a very fast line, but still above my pay grade.  I'm lucky it wasn't any bigger.  Very fast run.

Kathy and Gregg were still jazzed from yesterday's no whitecap run and considered going in boats again.  I'm glad they asked my opinion, because I suggested they wait and get more comfy with their steering.  They will get tossed around eventually like I did in early days.  But it's easier to get going and avoid trouble when the foot steering and bracing is automatic. 

I practice diligently on the south shore to get ready for maliko.  I perch the boat on the crest of the wave and try to get bashed around.  Crazy sharp angles, just daring the ocean to roll me.  I would strongly recommend it to anyone new in a boat contemplating even a medium day at maliko.  It's the best way I've found to prep for the constant need to motor in oddball situations at maliko.  It's easy to remount on the south shore.   Gregg did a bike ride and Kathy did standup.  I had to dash afterward so didn't get to chat with her but I'm sure she surfed her brains out on the second half.  It was really good.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: June 11, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »
Wow, LPB, to me, that is really a spooky line. You were way in.

The reef does all kinds of weird things to the surface, even on days when it's primarily windswell. I've found the section between outer Sprecks down to just past Lower Kanaha to get steep and often sort of random. Waves seem to suddenly jack up from the north, even when the predominant pattern has been an easterly windswell. And I'm noticing this even on days that have little to no groundswell. I am probably overly cautious (chicken) because when I approach Camp 1, I am already scanning for any evidence of breaking waves ahead of me that are jacking up from the north. And, I often see stuff, even though on a day with little or no groundswell, you can likely get through unscathed because there isn't much power in the breaking waves. Still, I'd rather avoid breakers under any circumstances out there. I've found it can be a challenge to stay upright and moving fast over the reef on any given day, so I always treat that area with extra focus.

Going in the boat accentuates all of that even more. It's one thing to deal with some adverse conditions on a standup when you've got a lot of runs under your belt, but in a boat, when you have very shallow experience, I have to believe it's best to only bite off very small bits at a time. The other day, in the outrigger, I appreciated your direction and that we stayed in really deep water. I was actually a tiny bit nervous to be out so far but the approach into the harbor turned out to be fast and easy. That was a completely 'no drama' run and it's no wonder both Kathy and I finished it being so stoked. Given how mild a day it was, it was apparent to me that not only could you turn up the fun factor exponentially when the wind cranks up, you could also potentially get into fairly serious difficulty pretty quickly. I found the conditions pretty exciting and it wasn't even white capping! It is hard for me to imagine what the oc1 will be like when it starts getting bigger.

I'm really looking forward to gaining experience in my oc1 but I'm not in any hurry to push it. When you wipe out on a standup, as long as your leash holds and you don't hit anything on the way down, it's not a big deal to remount and go. That could be a lot different trying to deal with 20+feet of boat and ama catching wind and swell and moving in whatever direction the ocean decides. :o

I am really keen on getting in some south side runs and slowly working up to going in stronger wind conditions in the boat. I have finally gotten some confidence for running Maliko on my SUP. I don't see that happening with the oc1 for a very, very long time to come.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal