Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403367 times)

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #1035 on: April 26, 2014, 07:49:55 PM »
May 10th is Olukai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1036 on: April 26, 2014, 10:37:44 PM »
Maliko was off the hook today.  I'm guessing the channel was too.

2nd fastest time I've yet recorded.  So fun. 

Inside line, high tide.  The swells were so powerful I was forced to stay inside and run for my life.  Big foamy breakers outside to my right on the reef.  Super fun. 

http://youtu.be/28saRivxPiQ
Support your local shaper

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: April 27, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
LaPerouse, I think that may be your best video yet.  The lighting really gets the bumps to show up on cam, and it really gives the feeling of what Maliko is like.  Nice work Maestro.  Wind looks a lot lighter today, but the direction looks good.  Hoping I can get a run in....

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 27, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
LPB, very impressive, you looked so relaxed and you're hovering at 12 MPH for a really big portion of this video! My fastest glides are seldom any faster than that, and then it's only for a brief moment at the peak of acceleration.

SB, it may look lighter but it's been windy up here in Wailuku. I still have to retrieve my board and other gear from our chase boat so I don't know if I'll be set up to paddle later or not. I'm pretty trashed from the channel, it was all time epic.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 27, 2014, 10:39:36 AM »
Sometimes it's best to put in a light workout after...just to work out the kinks!  What are junkie friends for!  Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 27, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »
Well, I think as sore as I am, something light would be good. Not sure a maliko qualifies, but if it gets windy enough,maybe.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1041 on: April 27, 2014, 04:27:47 PM »
Thanks guys, that was an incredible day.  It's easy to look relaxed when the wind, swells and tide are all pushing together.

SB - here is a video with some glare.  Like yesterday, big east with no NW. 

I was extremely cautious in those days - new to the V-10.  The chart shows how spooked I was of the reef.  1.6 miles out at the airport.  Yesterday's run was 0.6 at the airport. 

I hope you guys eventually get boats.  They can go way out around the reef on a dangerous NW swell with a driving east wind.  SUP's are a handful if you are too far out on an east wind.  Boats can sneak in without much drama.  Nice safety feature in the winter.

http://youtu.be/hlBeVAp5pHk

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 27, 2014, 09:51:56 PM »
When you're a complete novice in a boat, like I am now, they too can be a handful on an east wind. Went for an 'easy' paddle mid morning today, just in the harbor, in PB's OC1. The east wind was gusting up around the low 30's in the harbor. With the ama on the left, it was on the leeward side of the boat going out toward the harbor entrance and I jumped on the canoe and made it to the harbor entrance pretty quick.

But, as I turned around to come back in, I suddenly realized that I had the wind and waves hitting the ama side of the boat. I was actually a bit freaked out, it was difficult for me to get in as both wind and waves wanted to lift the ama and flip me. I ran down parallel to the harbor jetty, trying as hard as I could not to get hulied by the wind and waves. Then I zig zagged all the way across the harbor, into the wind, until I got to the windward side where I ducked into the lee of the breakwall and paddled towards the beach.

I can't imagine how you'd deal with that situation outside the harbor mouth where an actual significant swell was running. I was really glad I hadn't dared to venture outside. I'd guess that there is a proper technique for paddling in those conditions but by the time I got in, my low back was on fire from weighting my left side and trying to still paddle effectively. I didn't flip but coming in from outside is unimaginable to me in those conditions in a boat.

Yesterday, a lot of the canoe people were impressed with us riding standups on the channel crossing. But for most of us on boards, we couldn't imagine how difficult a boat would be to handle in conditions that we considered fantastic for downwind surfing. There's a whole lot about paddling a boat that I have no knowledge of. This morning made me realize that I need to be a lot more aware of the wind and wave conditions in order to stay safe and that I'd better learn more to keep out of trouble.

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1043 on: April 29, 2014, 01:20:48 AM »
I paddle both SUP and OC. Even here on the big island people are just in Awe that we do downwinders on SUP's it's so shocking to them. I find it funny actually, even more so when some of us are actually faster then the lesser of the OC guys.

They always ask, how do you do it? why dont you try OC1, it's faster and easier, blah, blah, blah

I just smile, I tell them "you know that saying, only a surfer knows the feeling... " I also paddle OC1, but you just dont get the same stoke riding canoe like you do riding a board. Yea it's faster but... it's not the same. I feel sorry for some of these guys who just limit themselves to one paddling discipline.  After all you cant surf a wave on an OC like how you can surf a wave on a board, pure and simple.

as for the Novice OC thing... just like anything else you gottah just get use to it. It's a totally differnt technique to be fast on the canoe. Once the balance thing is out of the way.  This year Olukai I'm briging my board and OC1 to maui to race both days! super stoked

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 29, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
This year Olukai I'm briging my board and OC1 to maui to race both days! super stoked

Thanks Awesome JF808!  I have been trying to figure out how I can race OC-1, or OC-2 that Sunday.  I have very little experience in Outrigger, but it sure would be great to get to race both days...

See you soon!

Southbay

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1045 on: April 29, 2014, 10:39:08 PM »
Olukai is just one of those events where the stoke is just being out there with ALL the yellow jerseys! If you can borrow a canoe, or hitch a ride on an OC2, then do it SB!! I'm so ready to go, cant wait

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 30, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »
Boyum passed some of Jeremy's shots to me yesterdays. This is my favorite.

click it for full size
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:59:03 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1047 on: May 03, 2014, 10:02:37 AM »
Here's a video of Oscar in South Africa at Cape Town's Miller's run.  This run is bigger and wilder than our maliko run - on average. 

If Robin is using a gopro3 like mine, (flattens the waves) my guess is that these are very, very big swells.

Downwind clinic is next Sunday.  Wind is forecast to be light.  The cool thing about downwind instruction is that it's the same in light conditions. 

It may even be an advantage.  It's easier to talk about lines in lighter wind.  If he puts us in the back of a double, I'd be spooked in waves this big.

Speaking of gopros, my gp3 white is sleeping with the fishes.  I gently bonked into covesurfer last week.  We briefly crossed swords to stay upright and the cam was in the way.  No big deal, that one lasted a long time.  I'll tether the next one. 

GP3+ silver is on order.  $100 jump in price over my old one.  Better software, lens, battery and a smaller housing.         

http://youtu.be/5pL4qew6DLI

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: May 03, 2014, 11:27:48 AM »
Wow, that was cool. Maybe there's hope for fat guys like me after all. What does he weigh? His back looks like mine. Well padded.

Today is Paddle Imua--a Maliko run for Imua Family Services. Fine charity. The forecast looked like crap, but I'm seeing whitecaps at my house--albeit out pretty far--and they're headed in the right direction.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1049 on: May 03, 2014, 06:01:49 PM »
LPB, that is an awesome video. I saw it over on .info last week as well.  I'm attending a clinic here in FL with Oscar next week when he stops on his way to you guys. Had to laugh when I saw his post about the DW clinic in Maui. Our clinic is entitled _Forward Stroke Clinic_. Ha. We do something that we call DW here when conditions setup that you guys wouldn't roll out of bed for. Meanwhile. I'll be happy to hang with him for a couple of days talking stroke theory. God knows, he has plenty to teach me! Btw, loving the V10S.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal