Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403363 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #945 on: July 11, 2013, 07:29:57 AM »
I don't think I'd like to get mowed on a ski, it's bad enough on a SUP. Which reminds me, first thing next winter I need a new leash.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #946 on: July 11, 2013, 09:07:04 AM »
I want to see HM's grandson on the V-2 on a windy day.  If that board gets some air under it it will lift him out of the water by  his ankle.

Brave kid at 10 years old to be launching at maliko in this big wind event.  He only weighs about 70 pounds.  Standing on the tail of a 17-4 in big swells must be a thrill.   
Support your local shaper

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 11, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »
Yesterday I did a Maliko on oc-1 with a friend that I'm breaking in on oc-1.It was his 4 th maliko,and only his 5 th time paddling an outrigger.I started him in 20-25 mph,and yesterday was to be a little notch up.Outside of  the lifeguard tower @Kanaha, about a mile out,just as he was righting up his oc-1 after a huli(flip),and while I was keeping an eye on him,a pretty mean squall caught us by surprise.I did not see it coming,it was the most intense gusts I have experienced .I have been out in 40+knots,but this felt way stronger,I felt that I was in a blender!.And with a straight east blowing on the ama,it would have been very easy to blow the harbor entrance.Luckily,I had chosen a tight line for this run because of the east direction of the wind,if we would have taken a further out line(which often I do for catching the glides all the way to the mouth of the harbor),we would have been shitting bricks.The airport shows 45mph for that time frame,11 am,but I'm sure it was more than that out there.
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 12, 2013, 01:28:45 AM »
Video from the last couple of days - cameo by Jeremy Riggs - he cross-stepped his way past me, pulled out a camera, took a pic and disappeared as quickly as he came...incredible on that 22" Bullet!

Hawaii - Maliko Take One

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 12, 2013, 06:02:09 AM »
Wow! Great video perterp! Very, very pro. How did you get the camera shots from above? That is a great perspective. Thanks for posting that! Conditions look screaming, near continuous surfs/glides.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #950 on: July 12, 2013, 08:33:43 PM »
Outside of  the lifeguard tower @Kanaha, about a mile out,just as he was righting up his oc-1 after a huli(flip),and while I was keeping an eye on him,a pretty mean squall caught us by surprise.I did not see it coming,it was the most intense gusts I have experienced .I have been out in 40+knots,but this felt way stronger,I felt that I was in a blender! /

Wow! 5th time on an oc-1 and the wind tears it up like that!  Now that's what I call an adventure. 

So stoked the wind went ape this week for all the visitors.  Thanks for the video PeterP 

The wind was exceptional last night over here on the south shore.  Nothing like maliko, but great fun for 5.5 miles.  Turned off like a light switch soon after I finished.  Perfect timing for my bike ride back to the truck.  I was dreading that headwind. 

Best of luck to all the racers this weekend. 

south shore 7 11 13 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #951 on: July 17, 2013, 09:48:19 AM »
Here is an excellent article about steering in swells.  I'll post it here in the unofficial ski thread.  It also applies to standup.  

I'm eagerly anticipating the next article, explaining the advantages of positioning on the crest of the wave.  

It's a complex topic.  Telling someone with an F-16 to NEVER jam the nose is bad advice.  It depends on the situation.  (Sometimes it pays off).  Having a coach (on the water) explain the trade-offs is invaluable.  It's very dependent on the individual - virtually impossible to put in writing, IMHO.

Good advice about how rudders can work efficiently.  

http://surfskicenter.com/2013/06/30/broaching-your-surfski-and-how-you-can-prevent-it/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:53:51 AM by LaPerouseBay »

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #952 on: July 18, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »
As I learned in yoga class.....practice, practice, all is coming. I have read this article several time since it was first published and while I _ get it_ I don't get to practice enough. But when it hooks up it is awesome, right? Envious of your situation where you have downwind opportunities regularly. My biggest mistake is what they talk about here.....I typically go to early when my bow is fully engaged in the water instead of letting the crest get up under my butt. Practice, practice.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #953 on: July 22, 2013, 05:27:57 AM »
Wind was excellent Sunday afternoon.   

A small south swell adds another element to the wind swells.  It seems to give an extra boost on select glides.  What goes up must come down, so some are slower.   

I kept my heart rate under 120 all week in an effort to rest, gain efficiency, etc.  Today was almost an all out effort. 

These are select glides on the faces of big swells.  Hard to see in video, but the speedo shows it.  Each clip usually begins as I  start to run on the crest of a big swell.  Then it's just steering around - hoping I can get another ride as it re forms.  Holding back and eyeing the direction of the big underlying swell is quite the trick.  I may have had on or two today, but they are very elusive.  Very fun day.  Too much effort though.  Holding back is the key - then zooming at the correct moment.       

south shore 7 21 13

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #954 on: July 29, 2013, 01:51:55 AM »
Excellent conditions on the south shore today. 

south shore 7 28 13

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 02, 2013, 05:38:44 AM »
Demoed a new Epic V10 today and really enjoyed it, hadn't really set it up too well, not enough padding and my legs too stretched out but still had a blast. What a forgiving boat, and certainly faster than my V10S. Winter down-winder in Melbourne, the Stand Up gang were all there as well, it was a great run.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #956 on: August 05, 2013, 02:15:44 AM »
Nice one JC, glad to see you on the ski.  South shore has been very steady lately.  Great conditions this weekend.

south shore 8 4 13

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 10, 2013, 04:48:27 AM »
Last vid of fun in Maui.....
Hawaii Take 2

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 10, 2013, 05:36:58 AM »
Great edit Peter...
Looks like you had a super time in Maui.  Thanks for including some non water time. 

BTW, what's with Mr Muuustang???
(Maliko runs AND Mustangs, doesn't get any better than that  ;D )

DS
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: August 10, 2013, 08:29:56 AM »
Great edit Peter...
Looks like you had a super time in Maui.  Thanks for including some non water time. 

BTW, what's with Mr Muuustang???
(Maliko runs AND Mustangs, doesn't get any better than that  ;D )

DS

Pietro couldn't get over how many Ford Muuustangs are driving around in Maui (we don't see them over here) so he started counting them during the shuttling to the Gulch - he was averaging 6 or 7 per trip - it became a daily routine (and laugh)

Overall the trip was fantastic, we had wind virtually every day and everyone we met were so friendly and the events were amazing. The level of paddling is way above what we're used to so we also learnt alot as well - really hope to come back some time soon!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal