Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 404244 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #915 on: June 28, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
^ Aloha paid, sorry to hear your friend's vehicle got robbed.  I almost always start at the boardwalk.  I park in the lot rather than next to the bushes.  It's been safe for me so far.  If the wind is offshore I'll start at KCC.

Polo beach (Fairmont Kea Lani) is an excellent beach to land on.  The tourists on the staircase are cool.  I like landing there.  We finish there when the wind may not hold to Makena Bay.

I'm not a big fan of Sarento's either.  But it's usually a safe bet for the wind.

Weekdays I often finish at the Cove.  I live walking distance, so I drive straight to the boardwalk after work.  I launch, then walk the ski home and shower.  Then jump on the MTB for the ride back to my truck.  It saves a lot of time not shuttling.  If someone calls, I'll do a longer run.

That new hotel, the Andaz may have a good beach to finish a run.  I think it's Elua beach, between Sarento's. and Polo.  I've heard the facilities are good.    
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:35:14 PM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #916 on: June 29, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »
Paid...a better line on good days, is had by starting at Kealia boardwalk.  I don't know of any people who've had car theft there, knock on wood.  PBill leaves his grungy over sized slippers in the back with a few used shotgun shells.  His jeep is always wide open.  Heard about the problems at Haycraft Park.  That would be a cool launch if you had a driver to take the vehicle away.  I like the line from there and the milage becomes great.

For those looking in on this thread, Paidmydues is one of the sentinels for Hawaiian language on the island.  He knows every word for wind and even what the word is for paddling downwind.  His pronunciation is perfect and his voice is strong.

Paid.... If you ever see PBill try to pronounce Kealia, plug your ears quick, as he butchers the Hawaiian language beyond belief despite my attempts to tutor him.  I think he does it to bug me.

And for those of you out there that wish to make a better stab at Hawaiian words, here's a start.  The letter I is pronounced E and E is pronounced A and A is pronounced AH.  There are also some double vowel words and even a few triple vowel words.  (There is a town on Oahu, Kaaawa where each vowel is a syllable)  But I think just these tips will get you much closer. Correct me and add if you wish Paid. 

The organizer of a recent SUP race butchered a Hawaiian word so badly at the skippers meeting, that it took on a totally different meaning  that made all that knew ( and there were many) cringe.  Made worse that he kept repeating his mistake over and over again. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #917 on: June 29, 2013, 05:46:01 PM »

There are also some double vowel words and even a few triple vowel words. 

If I'm not mistaken, Kauai is a 4.  I visited years ago and heard a local radio DJ pronounce it as such.  His voice was mellifluous.  I still hear it each time I spell the word.   

I didn't know that about paidmydues.  Very cool.  Such a beautiful language.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #918 on: July 03, 2013, 09:36:41 PM »
Peter... After I spoke to you I went to Kihei and launched with my pal at about 3:40.  Direction was great tho velocity was weak at first but by half way glides began to be good enough and towards the end were pretty good.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring but give me a ring around 12-1 and I'll let you know what I see.  We only did a 7 miler today but you could have gone longer.  We launched late, in my book and I didn't want to chance getting calmed.  My pal was on a no-rudder 14 and he had no issues today but it all depends on the direction.  Your Naish boards should be good.

Wow, you're here.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: July 03, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »
Hope you guys get some good conditions. It was smokin' in the Gorge today. I did two runs. Looking forward to paddling with you again HM.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: July 03, 2013, 11:07:01 PM »
I bashed a tourist with my board at Polo once--he was sitting on the the outside of the corner and wasn't inclined to move. It wasn't intentional, but I felt pretty good about it.

I think the reason no one steals stuff from my jeep is they think they might get some kind of fungus from it. They aren't wrong.

I'm learning Hawaiian pronunciation at my own speed. I have "chree to fi" down pretty pat and when I say Ho'okipa people know where I'm talking about. there was a time I just got blank looks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #921 on: July 04, 2013, 11:50:45 AM »
I bashed a tourist with my board at Polo once--he was sitting on the the outside of the corner and wasn't inclined to move. It wasn't intentional, but I felt pretty good about it.

I think the reason no one steals stuff from my jeep is they think they might get some kind of fungus from it. They aren't wrong.

I'm learning Hawaiian pronunciation at my own speed. I have "chree to fi" down pretty pat and when I say Ho'okipa people know where I'm talking about. there was a time I just got blank looks.

We need you back here to bash a few more.  You can team up with Victor.  He said to say howzit.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 06, 2013, 10:32:25 AM »
Did our maiden Maliko to harbour run yesterday in 8-12knots NE. Phil from Australia kindly chaperoned Pietro and myself the entire way - well, he had to sit and wait for us on a good  couple of occasions....

It took us 2 hours from put in to take out with a few breaks and medium effort....cannot believe how much you sweat out there!

We rode the 14' Glide while Phil was on his 17' Bullet, I'd have to work overtime to try and stay with him.

Runs are quite different to back home in Cape Town, even though it was probably as soft as it gets, you get lumps lifting you and I can see why a 17' works here - you just have that little more momentum where you'd have to scramble hard on the 14' to get in. Phil also stayed on for longer, beginning to wonder if attempting the M2O solo on the Glide is a good call...

Pearling was never an issue, I almost had to step off the pad to get into some of them, where at home they are much shorter and steeper.

Phil rated it 1 out of 10 for Maliko - amping for Mon-Wed!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 06, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »
I was over for almost a month late May to mid June. Used a 17' Bullet and an F16. On a bigger day, I am really wondering how a 14 would be for Maliko. Seems like it would be a blast.

I'll be interested to read your reports from next week when the wind comes back. I paddled one light day all the way to the harbor and it was a grind. Lumpy and really tough to catch any glides except here and there. It's a different world when its blowing. You will like. ;D

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: July 06, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
 Bill,mahalo for the Hawaiian lesson to help others on the Zone.yes,I have heard Ponobill destroy some place names,LOL,anytime you want to make pono,ask me.Let's start with your usual winter spot,Kanaha.The last vowel,a,is stressed,not the middle one as everyone says it.It means The Crack,the Fissure,and was the name of one of two fishponds in the area(The other being Mauoni).I was told it was named By Kamehameha to honor either the son or the daughter(Mauoni being the other one)of the Chief Ka Pi'ioho O Ka Lani who was responsible for the construction of the fishponds... What I can recall(chemobrain  excuse),a Pueo(Hawaiian owl) laid an egg that cracked,in the area,and one of the royal children were named after that.Okay,that your lesson for today.Ka NahA.
I surfed everyday of late,just loving my 6.0 minisimmons,haven't tried a standup one yet,but if they are anything like the shortboard,they are sooo fun,you gotta try it to believe it.Paddled my new OC-1 Maliko to Kahului with NO wind,really teaches you to concentrate on technique to get on the small bumps.Aloha
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #925 on: July 06, 2013, 09:18:39 PM »
Peter, You're in good hands with Phil.  This is like his second home.  I think I saw you this morning off Sugar Cove.  I did a run from Maliko to Kanaha with my 10 yr old grandson.  The jet lag was getting him a little but he pushed thru it.   Water clarity was epic and he rode a wave across the Camp One reef on a 17 footer and got the hang of the rudder pretty well.  No falls.

Paid... Finally someone has told me the correct pronunciation of Kanaha.  I think I've been butchering it for many years.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #926 on: July 07, 2013, 09:48:43 PM »
I was on the south shore today but yesterday I did a glass run to Kanaha with my ten yr old g-son.  He had seven hrs of jet lag but did the seven miles with no complaints.  July on Maui with no wind is hot beyond measure but although I was sweating he didn't want to get in the water to cool off.  My son told him there were sharks.  If he was here, I'd whack him on the side of his head.

Anyway wind is supposed to return tues.  Tons of paddlers in town.  M2M next weekend.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #927 on: July 07, 2013, 11:53:41 PM »
Did an early run and reverse shuttle.  Great to have the Aussies in town for the races.  Chatted with Iron Phil and met Dave Kissane. 

It was light wind for us, picked up nicely for them.  Very fun run.   

maliko 7 7 13

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 08, 2013, 12:06:27 AM »
Picked up my SIC bullet 17 last Tuesday, and did a run Wednesday with Jeremy. Good fun, but the wind was too North. Hoping to get a run in tomorrow. Are one going on the 11am shuttle?  I have a truck with racks if anyone is headed to Maliko tomorrow, let me know.

Southbay

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #929 on: July 08, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »
PM me

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal