Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403322 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #900 on: June 18, 2013, 11:46:04 AM »

I too have heard some pretty good hissing on my left shoulder running into the harbor on several occasions, then I'd see a pretty fair sized set rolling past just to my left and leaving a trail.

Saving energy for the end is a good strategy. I look forward to the day when I can finish that run and feel like I have more than fumes in the tank.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #901 on: June 22, 2013, 01:05:57 PM »
Here's a Maliko launch at 6:30 AM.  Who would do such a thing?  Someone training for the early start of the M2O

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: June 22, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
JR posted on facebook that it was an awesome early day today. Nice photo!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 22, 2013, 05:58:48 PM »
That board sure is recognizable.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #904 on: June 22, 2013, 10:34:07 PM »
Yeah JR said it was unreal the last 3/4 of his crack of dawn run.  So cool.  Can just imagine the great lighting at that time.  Lighting is huge for allowing you to spot the grain in the water. 

Today was filled with off and on rain squalls.  My partner and I launched at 12 which was rather psychedelic.  As soon as we were in the water, a rain squall dumped heavy on us all the way out the gulch.  A thick mist was on the surface with the rain giving the appearance that it was windless.  But it wasn't and the smooth runways really made gliding easy.

That changed in around three minutes and in a blink it was sunny and raging wind.  Another fall-less day for me and was stoked to get into the action with small rights and finally gaining the co-ordination to crank the rudder with the appropriate paddle shift, to catch the big left rollers.  The direction shift to the backside  left  has been a huge challenge for me but learned a better stance for doing so today.   Of course it was made easier by a little more NE component in the WD.

The last two days have been real confidence builders for my balance issues.  One month until the big Maliko race. 

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 26, 2013, 11:23:24 PM »
I paid my entrance for the Maliko race today. Can't wait!  Btw, what wind sites do you guys use, and what's the best direction? 

Southbay

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #906 on: June 27, 2013, 09:25:08 AM »
^
http://weather.mhpcc.edu/wrf/maui2/

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/graphics/npac.gif

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/hi/flash-ir4.html
Click the W-low box on this one.  By the way, it's showing what I call a 'true' NE wind right now.  So the south shore will be ballistic today.  Heads up to you north shore sleepyheads too lazy to drive over.  Yesterday was smoking.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/hawaii_loop.php

Southbay, the best direction for maliko is about 60-70 degrees.  Straight down the coast of maliko is actually 40 degrees, but the trades work better if they slam into Haleakala and compress down the line.  40 degrees is good for the south  shore because it squeezes into the valley and turns left down the south shore.  That's what will happen today.  North shore light, south shore blasting.  Probably. 

Support your local shaper

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 27, 2013, 12:43:23 PM »
JR posted pic's of yesterdays southside run and it looked really good. Screaming good.

Man, you all are lucky. We are in the doldrums here in the Gorge with a big windsurfing/kiting/SUP downwinder race scheduled for 'Windfest' weekend coming up. My last downwinder was four days ago.  Forecast calls for a little wind Saturday so there's maybe some hope. Otherwise, we've got temps around 100 degrees forecast for the next week - that usually means not much wind. At least you guys over on Maui are getting the goods! Enjoy!

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 27, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »
Thanks for the info LaPerouse.  Wow, the Kihei run does look good today!  Am I blind, where is the wind direction on here?  My return to the island is Monday.  Looking forward to seeing my new board and meeting you all.

Southbay

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 27, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »
JR posted pic's of yesterdays southside run and it looked really good. Screaming good.

Man, you all are lucky. We are in the doldrums here in the Gorge with a big windsurfing/kiting/SUP downwinder race scheduled for 'Windfest' weekend coming up. My last downwinder was four days ago.  Forecast calls for a little wind Saturday so there's maybe some hope. Otherwise, we've got temps around 100 degrees forecast for the next week - that usually means not much wind. At least you guys over on Maui are getting the goods! Enjoy!

flatwater fun.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: June 27, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
All those little arrows, about 800 of them, are the wind direction.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #911 on: June 27, 2013, 04:55:02 PM »
Yeah the wind bends sometimes 90 degrees as it's funneled through the valley.  We all have stopped trying to figure it out and just go when the cams are good and LPB says it's a go.  But it's good ... right now.  It wasn't a half hour ago. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #912 on: June 28, 2013, 02:16:03 AM »
Here's some video from today.  The wind was excellent.  In my experience, the Maui 2K wind forcast is more accurate on the north shore.  The south shore has a mind of it's own.

south shore 6-27-13

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #913 on: June 28, 2013, 08:39:40 AM »
Here is a screen shot of this morning's channel 4.  The wind direction at Kauai is what I call 'true' NE.  The prevailing winds are about 40 degrees.  

On Maui, it's closer to true E, probably closer to 60 or 70.    

Maliko will be good today.  Note how far out the fetch is.  That will produce longer period groundswells on the reef.  Local wind strength may vary, but there will be bombs.  Classic summer conditions.

As you can see by this screen shot, the south shore can get very windy.  Paddlers beware.  Conditions often switch from side shore to harrowing offshore.  Very dangerous.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:04:10 AM by LaPerouseBay »

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: June 28, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »
True dat,and the other day it completely did a 180 on us and we were paddling upwind for a while.Better that than when it wants to blow  you over towards Kaho'olawe!LBP,where do you come in?We start at Kihei canoe club,don't feel safe leaving our vehicles at Ma'alaea,some friends' cars got broken into.But coming in at the beach in front of Sarento's is too short of a run if you're driving over from North side.How is coming in at Polo beach and walking up the walkway with all the tourists there?Too many times it's not downwind to Makena Landing.Mahalo
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal