Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403343 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #870 on: June 07, 2013, 10:21:36 AM »
You need these two programs.  Extremely simple to use once you do it a few times.

I can help out with more tips if you need them. 

http://www.dashware.net/

http://download.cnet.com/Avidemux/3000-13631_4-10829933.html

And it looks easy on the videos, because it is easy.  It's all about harnessing the power of the ocean - using the angle across the swells.  Once you get the balance and figure out the angles, it's smooth sailing.       
Support your local shaper

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #871 on: June 07, 2013, 05:16:59 PM »
I couldn't resist.  Fred and Cyd gettin it on. 

FRED ASTAIRE and CYD CHARISSE - Dancing in the dark, at the Central Park

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 07, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »
You need these two programs.  Extremely simple to use once you do it a few times.

I can help out with more tips if you need them. 

http://www.dashware.net/

http://download.cnet.com/Avidemux/3000-13631_4-10829933.html

And it looks easy on the videos, because it is easy.  It's all about harnessing the power of the ocean - using the angle across the swells.  Once you get the balance and figure out the angles, it's smooth sailing.       

Thanks. I'll check those programs out. I'm using a Garmin 310XT and a Panasonic waterproof digital camera to take video - hope the files will work with the software.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #873 on: June 07, 2013, 11:43:31 PM »
I use a garmin 305, the file works.  Just "export" it.  I send all my video stuff to an external hard drive.  Dashware will ask for the file.

My gopro creates MP4 files.  Dashware will accept just about anything.  

I use avidemux to join my 17:35 clips into one file.  It's just a copy.  Save the file, dashware will ask for it.  

If you use avidemux, the only thing you will need to choose is the "output format."   Make it the same as your panasonic file type.   I use "MP4 muxer."  

If you use avidemux, drag your files into the work area.  You will see the timer add up the files.  Then "file," "save."  Voila, one file.  

To simplify the synchronization of the gps with video, I start them both at the same time.  I start them before launching and end after the entire run.  

Be sure to set your garmin to the most accurate sample rate.  It's probably once each second.

When you run dashware, use the wizard.  Go to the help tab and choose "show me how to" "create a video and data project."  It will walk you through the steps.    

Load your entire file and use dashware to edit out clips.  Use the time slider arrows to choose a section, then hit "create video"  Dashware will render it for you.  I think you will like it.  It's a great editor.  I always use it to look at my runs.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:12:19 AM by LaPerouseBay »

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 08, 2013, 02:07:34 AM »
Nice video. From someone that's never tried a surfski, the speeds are amazing. You make it look so easy as well.

Think L is being a little self effacing there, easy once you have put in the hard yards! Seems absurdly difficult at first but like everything your body adapts if you stick at it.

Argosi, you would love it !!

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: June 08, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »
Thanks LPB! Those extra tips will help.

Although I may need a new camera since my Panasonic can only take clips of limited length.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 08, 2013, 10:37:23 AM »
Nice video. From someone that's never tried a surfski, the speeds are amazing. You make it look so easy as well.

Think L is being a little self effacing there, easy once you have put in the hard yards! Seems absurdly difficult at first but like everything your body adapts if you stick at it.

I bet I would love it. Storage of the surfski isn't possible for me unfortunately.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #877 on: June 08, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »
Argosi, my first cam would record for 30 minutes, then shut off.      

Dashware will synch the timing of various video clips with your garmin data.  No need for a new camera IMO.  

I'd leave the gps running with the elapsed time on the display.  If you restart the camera, aim it at the garmin screen and video the elapsed time.  That will make it easy to synch the data in dashware.  It's a very polished program.

JC, yes it was tough for me in the early days.  But only because the outrigger had twisted me into a pretzel.  Too much cheating on the ama.  

I'm coaching some girls in ski.  They have no trouble balancing.  They are advancing 10 times faster than I did.  It's so fun coaxing them into tougher conditions.  One minute it's "we can't do that."  The next minute they are charging.  So funny.  

I'll have them downwinding in a few weeks.  Their minds will be completely blown.  One of the girls had better form than I do ON HER FIRST DAY.  Leg drive, nice top hands... I remember watching her and thinking to myself, "that's just not fair at all."  :)    
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 01:29:25 PM by LaPerouseBay »

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 08, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »

I bet I would love it. Storage of the surfski isn't possible for me unfortunately.

I store mine on racks coming out from the side of the house. Its always in shade and has some minimal protection from the eaves of the house. Always wash it with fresh water and honestly its good as new.
Guess if you have an apartment it might be tricky! A lot of people in Melbourne who paddle skis or OC1's belong to clubs and store them there. Guess we don't get the cold cold weather you guys get though. Be warned....it's addictive ;D

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #879 on: June 08, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »
Larry, I know I've said this before but I am so glad that you keep the surfski stoke going in this thread. We have talked many times about this in the past year or so but I think I'm about ready to sell my OC-1 and use the money to advance beyond my V8. I think I'll always keep the V8 for big conditions days. But it's time to move up. Pretty loyal to Epic but the new Stellar SEI that is hitting the market is pretty intriguing. Anyway, hope to be in a more aggressive ski within the next month. Thanks for keeping this going. Always look forward to your videos. JonathanC, was the Sport your first ski? You've been paddling it a little over year, right?

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 08, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »
Hi Ericspin,

Yes exactly right, had the V10S for a over a year now, probably almost two. Must admit I've gone through phases of not paddling it much, bought a fixed paddle initially and that was a mistake, it was set at 60 degrees and that just didn't seem to agree with my propensity for tennis elbow. The two piece small Epic fixed that though and its really nice to be able to muck around with the length.

At the point now of wanting a little more speed and something lighter, I have the basic heaviest model, and to its credit is still in perfect condition. Planning on trying the new V10 which is apparently almost as stable as the current V10S and a Fenn Swordfish and the new Stellar SEI when it comes out. Have to make sure I don't get too ambitious and muck up all the down-winding fun I'm having! A lot of new, more stable but still fast, boats out in the last year and more coming.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #881 on: June 08, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »

I store mine on racks /

...in my living room.

Guess if you have an apartment it might be tricky!

So I cut a hole in the wall.  My priorities are in line.  :)

Eric, have a spin in the new V-10. It's wider than the old V-10.  It's probably just as stable as the sport.  I had no trouble going from a sport to a 10.  If you can paddle 2-3 times a week, you will sell that V-8.  Guaranteed. 

The girls I coach can both paddle V-10's.  One of them has only been in a ski maybe 10 times.  She owns a sport, but she can do flat water in a 10.  Skinny boats are WAY more fun.  They surf MUCH better.   Short boats spin too easy IMO.

Glad you sorted your paddle out JC.  I went through growing pains too.  I was all the way up to 75 degrees for awhile.  I'm down at 30 now.  Kayakchampeen over on surfski info uses zero feather.  2 control hands. 

My blade is short at 205.  I'll go up to 207 on flat water, but that's about it.  Good reason to be slow. "my blade is really short".  Easy on the joints and very quick for downwinding.         

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #882 on: June 12, 2013, 12:12:05 AM »
State holiday today, what better way to spend a day off than a nice maliko. 

maliko 6-11-13

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: June 12, 2013, 10:05:04 AM »
^
LPB, I always enjoy your videos. That looks very difficult to keep upright, but you make it seem easy!  Curious, do you do SUP downwinders as well?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #884 on: June 12, 2013, 10:54:37 AM »
He used to go with me on SUP but once he tried this rocket ship I knew he was gone.... and it could be appealing to me for the speed and for having fun on lighter days when catching glides with a SUB is more difficult. But standing up and basically surfing out in the open ocean has a huge appeal to me.    Just like using a jet ski to ride a wave, it can go faster and catch every wave but you're still sitting on your ass.  So if you're into ultimate speed for paddling toy, the ski would be for you.  But if you like moving your feet for trim and standing up, then your choice is obvious. 

Some people don't do well with their backs, sitting down (like me) and others get their back out of wack on a SUB. 

CS, I'd think you'd dig  the stand up more.  You did it once over here.  Com'on back and we'll order up some stronger wind for you. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal