Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 404340 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #855 on: June 02, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »
Early June has historically been great and this year is no exception.  Yesterday Cove and I did a packed 1pm shuttle and today it was packed for the 11:30am shuttle.

Even with the early launch today (sunday) conditions were off the charts good.  Good tide and wind strength was 30-40mph.  Legs were tired on this fifth Maliko run in a row (50 miles in five days) and I had at least six falls but the successive rides on the super troughs from Kanaha to the harbor entrance were phenomenal.

Might take a break tomorrow but I only say this now, immediately after the run.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #856 on: June 02, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »
Man, that was a good day.  So glad summer is here.  Like HM said, the runners from the airport to the finish were epic.  Very groomed, with the wind shoving you onto the bombs.  So fun.  Probably the easiest big bombs I've ever caught.  Very low effort, just flying. 

I had my camera mounted facing the rear today.  Jeremy and I lagged behind the group at the launch.  Chatted with Raaphorst a bit.  He did an earlier run on his standamaran.  I hadn't seen Mark in about a year.  He looks great.  Very fit and young for his age.     

Jeremy and I worked together for about 3 miles.  It would have been great footage if the battery had been properly charged.  Dang camera turned off just as we started to zoom.  Doh!  We caught his wife Jill at Paia.  He stayed with her and I zoomed ahead to pick off the other standups.   :) 
Support your local shaper

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 02, 2013, 11:08:06 PM »
I said the same thing right after today's run, how I should pace myself. But now, it's evening and all I can think of was what a great run it was today. My run started with me sighting the biggest shark I hope I ever see, cruising fast along the bottom right outside of the gulch. HM had just had a quick dip too. I didn't mention it until we were back to the canoe Hale. Fantastic conditions out there today!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #858 on: June 04, 2013, 08:20:10 PM »
Wild day.  28-35mph with small but noticeable north swell to accentuate the drops.  In the course of this ten mile run, three of us experienced great conditions out of the gate, a glue like counter current half way thru, huge putting green drops off uppers and extraordinary wide wavelengths from lower Kanaha to the harbor entrance.  Right psoas was tweaking with back leg getting a deep powder work out. 

Saw a thread about a lack of trade winds.  Could have fooled me.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 04, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
It's after 530 pm and it still looks big out there. The last mile outside of the harbor was so good. Wind and waves lined up, three paddle strokes and you were surfing.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #860 on: June 04, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »
Have you bought a telescope yet Cove? I'm guessing you can see that whole run from your place.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 04, 2013, 10:12:49 PM »
No, Wassup. Was hoping that might be a housewarming present when you come visit.  ;D

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #862 on: June 05, 2013, 12:55:20 AM »
The wind has been excellent on the south shore lately as well. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #863 on: June 05, 2013, 11:11:28 AM »
What is it about the color in this video that seems different, more crisp than your others? 

Also did anything come out from the fly-bys you did the other day on Maliko?

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #864 on: June 05, 2013, 09:28:34 PM »
The gopro 3 white is the least expensive version.  They say the performance is weak in low light.   So my guess is that the color looks a bit better in this one because of the higher summer sun angle.  Cloudy days with a low, winter sun angle look dark.  My cam needs good light.  

The picture is sharper than the gopro 2 it replaced.  3's have a flat, glass water housing lens.  They say the cam lens itself is also a big improvement.  The fisheye barrel effect is reduced from the older version.  I used to shoot at the 'medium' setting.  Gopro called that 120 degrees.  This white version only has one option at 1080 and they say it's 120 also.  That's why I bought this cheap version.  1080/30 is all I ever use.  I noticed the sharper picture immediately.  Not bad for $200,. IMO.  

I'm sure the black version will give a brighter picture at 1080/30, but they cost $400.  That version has about 20 shooting options, I have 4.

I'm really bummed about no good video from Sunday.  The battery died just as Jeremy and I began zooming along.  First time I've ever forgotten to charge the battery.   No video of any fly byes.  That was a smoking day too.  Oh well, summer is here.  Maybe some weekend I'll get the alien on video.   He looks good on those rear facing camera shots.  That 22 inch bullet really motors.        

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:39:38 PM by LaPerouseBay »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 06, 2013, 06:17:43 AM »
I like "the Alien" as a nickname for JR. Fits perfectly.

I have a GoPro Black, and it's a bit disappointing. Keeping it and the remote charged is a constant challenge for ADD-boy. When either component sits around they discharge rapidly, especially if I forget to turn off the remote radios (which is ALWAYS). Whenever I go to use it, it's certain to be dead. I've managed to train myself to charge my iPhone frequently, maybe I can extend that to the GoPro. Great camera other than that, the last software update fixed a lot of issues.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 06, 2013, 06:04:29 PM »
PB, thanks again for letting me use the Bullet! I am now on HM's old F16, which I bought. Perfect dw board for me. Wish you were here, it's been howling. I missed today and yesterday, although I got some surfing in on the s swell (which is already dying) both days. See you in a week or so.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 06, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
The wind has been excellent on the south shore lately as well.  

Oh yeah, I want some of that  ;D

Seem to have turned the corner lately on my V10S Surfski, able to put down full power to catch waves and still feel stable.  Haven't fallen in for the last three downwinders.  Even kidding myself that the seeing my knees going up and down equates to leg drive when really I know I'm just going through the motion.... but boy oh boy am I having fun! Bringing my paddle to Maui in September LPB and renting a ski for sure. Perversely love the steep learning curve, what a fantastic complimentary sport to go with SUP, similar water skills but different muscle groups.  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:59:38 PM by JonathanC »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #868 on: June 06, 2013, 11:54:23 PM »
Glad to hear it JC.  Give Richard plenty of lead time, he travels a lot.  I'll help out with the rental if he's not around.  

You may think you are just 'going through the motions' with regard to leg drive because it doesn't feel like much.  But that's how it's supposed to feel.  The legs are so much stronger than your arms that it feels effortless.  It should feel graceful and flowing, like dancing.  Fred Astaire was the best dancer because he led with his hips.  The best kayak sprinters are very, very smooth.  It's the nature of the double blade and rotation.  Be sure to feel each stroke through the heels.  That's the key to stability.

Yes, it's deceptive.  Seems like no effort, but graceful balance is what makes a ski work.  Then power, then speed.          

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:57:31 PM by LaPerouseBay »

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 07, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »
Nice video. From someone that's never tried a surfski, the speeds are amazing. You make it look so easy as well.

How did you get the speed, time, and distance to show up on your video? I keep my Garmin speed display when paddling but your setup adds another dimension to the video.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard