Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403328 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #810 on: April 25, 2013, 11:37:37 PM »
JF808, that's a really big question.  Here is a link to an article on swell riding.  It's all the same for canoes and standup.  Feel free to ask if any of it is confusing.  It took me a long time to figure out what they are describing.  Time on the water helps.    

http://www.surfski.info/getting-started/tips-training/story/1030/downwind-technique-in-depth.html

The guy that taught me the most about downwinding gave me two phrases I constantly tell myself.  "keep the boat going downhill" and "relax."

Yes, I pearl my ski occasionally.  V-10's have huge noses for the dreaded nosedive.  I had one today.    

Great run today.  Beat my old outrigger record by 0:36, and my ski record by 1:21.  I'm stoked.

Got some video of Jeremy at the start of the run, he dropped me and dove inside.  I was outside as usual. Super fun run.  

Yes, I was spooked all day.  I hate falling when it's big. I always post my best times when I dodge the big bombs and go like hell when they catch me.  

http://connect.garmin.com/player/303360923

Jeremy at maliko 4-25-13
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:14:36 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #811 on: April 25, 2013, 11:51:26 PM »
Im no stranger to downwind, although like most other places in the world. We dont have conditions like Maliko, harldy anyone does.  I just don't find being on the canoe as fun as my Bullet.  It's faster, but going diagonal on an outrigger is easier said then done, probably much easier to do on longer period stuff that you guys have.  As for our short period bumps here on the big island (more similar to maui south shore) most of the time your rudder is out of the water untill your deep in the trough, so no steering untill you regain water line.  Thanks for that link, I'll read into that too.

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #812 on: April 25, 2013, 11:56:51 PM »
Great Video of your conditions today! Can't wait to see you guys @ Olukai.  Meeting up with Headmount and maybe Pono on Friday the 12th for training runs down Maliko!

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #813 on: April 26, 2013, 01:07:51 AM »
Nice video! Thanks Larry. The conditions just kept getting better all the way down. How's the footage of the end of the run compare?

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #814 on: April 26, 2013, 08:18:41 AM »
The footage at the end has some good connections.  I think there's a good one at pier one.  I'll try to edit on Saturday.

I agree JF808, short period swells can be tough in a big boat.  If I can't hold an angle to go across the face, the v-10 nose is very forgiving.  It will float over most small stuff.  It's also good at charging right over bumps.     

In big crossed up maliko swells, a severe pearl is sometimes unavoidable.  A fast steep wave can grab my tail and steer me into a deep hole.  The nose may go straight down, all the way to my feet.  I'm amazed at how ski's can handle it.  They slow down, spin around a bit but pop back up, seemingly backwards.           

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 26, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
 JF808, i personally love the drop on the oc-1 when it buries the canoe all the way to the 'iako.pretty amazing how it comes back up really.the standup definitely  is more agile and maneuverable,but sitting down on the canoe makes the waves look way bigger and the drops steeper,don't you think?
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 26, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
Man, we burned it up today. I can't feel my arms, where are my arms.

Sure was fun. I fell coming out of the gulch when I looked the wrong way, once when I was looking back to check on Bill (he went down hard), once more when I got tagged (mugged actually) and then my cable came off the drum and turned hard left. That's it. Other wise a clean run. I'm taking that as technically a one fall run.

I didn't see the train that hit me at the end of Kanaha. I was just thinking we were in the clear when something hit me in the shoulders and tossed me flat onto my board. WTF??? It almost got Bill too, but it reformed just before it got to him.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 26, 2013, 11:36:22 PM »
Wow, I really overdid it. I have cramps in my ankles. Seriously. I didn't even know you could get cramps in your ankles. Biceps and Triceps are numb on both sides. My legs ache way down inside and are trying to cramp up. I'm tiptoeing around trying not to trigger a leg cramp because I think if one goes, they're all gonna go. Going to be a long night.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #818 on: April 27, 2013, 09:56:54 AM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 27, 2013, 03:11:17 PM »
Hmmm, it wasn't supposed to blow today, but it is. Not crazy like yesterday, but do-able. I had a good nights sleep--I think. I was unconscious so I'm not sure.  So I'm probably going to have to go.

Junkie.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 27, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »
Enjoy. It's Marcia's birthday so we hiked Beacon Rock this morning.

Meanwhile, it's completely filled in, great swell, in the 70's, looks like the best day for Viento yet this year, and I can't find anybody that wants to do a run.

Hurry up and get back here. Junkies should support each other.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 27, 2013, 06:41:52 PM »
will do, see you soon. Buy a big fricken bottle of Advil. I'm getting them at Costco these days--they look like cookie jars.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #822 on: April 27, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »
Here's my version of getting 'pitted' - as in swamped up to my armpits.  The ski was zooming along, so it was just a nudge on the side.  Minor loss of speed and a hat adjustment.  Note the garmin on my head - better radio signal and it's drier up there.  :)

Here's some video of last Thursday.  What a fun day that was.

maliko 4-25-13     

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #823 on: April 27, 2013, 10:33:12 PM »
Here's my version of getting 'pitted' - as in swamped up to my armpits.  The ski was zooming along, so it was just a nudge on the side.  Minor loss of speed and a hat adjustment.  Note the garmin on my head - better radio signal and it's drier up there.  :)

Here's some video of last Thursday.  What a fun day that was.

maliko 4-25-13     
LPB...Great vid and stunning still pic.  That's the huge value in these vids... to be able to extract a still.  Of course they aren't high res but for online use, they're great.

Paddled DW on friday with PBill and we did some geezer sprinting inside the harbor in the flatwater in the lee of the docks.  It was really fun and I got to try drafting for the first time.  Pretty fun keeping the nose rocker right over the tail of his board.  But we overdid it and were pooped when we finished.  Flatwater is for young, tough guys.  I had to stretch it out with a swim today but got to see 300 women go by me on SUBs... so I had that going for me.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 28, 2013, 12:17:40 AM »
@ LaPerouseBay,

how do you control your boat from pearling too much?  I also do downwinders on my OC1, I dont find it nearly as exciting as on a SUP.  On the SUP I have control when it comes to steep faces, I get as far back on that tail as I need to keep that nose up, steep drops dont worry me on SUP.  When I get on my canoe, there is no such thing as "trim" your as the mercy of the boat really. trimming down the face of a wave  as if your making a bottom turn like on a SUP is not as doable on a canoe, it's just not nearly as agile as a SUP.

Do you ever find yourself not taking a bump because it's too steep?  knowing that your going tyo burry the nose up to your feet?  What do you do when your in that situation?  Just curiouis as to how you handle it on your SS

JF, the V10 has a monstrous amount of volume in the nose.  It is nearly impossible to pearl.  They designed the nose to have enough volume to prevent it from getting pushed under water in almost any situation you will face.  It truly is an amazing boat.

But if you do face such a situation, you probably want to lean as far back as possible, keep the paddle out to brace on the appropriate side, and hope things turn out for you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal