Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403370 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #750 on: March 29, 2013, 11:47:49 PM »
HM, thanks for keeping your guard scorpions fed and happy. I'm glad they are on duty. When I come back over, maybe I can hire some guys to get my boards out of that shed for me... ;D

Sounds like you guys had a nice, long run, good thing PB's rudder held and that his board didn't get any more water in it. Hope it's salvageable. If anyone can get it back to normal weight and dry it out, PB can.

it's been nothing but glass and light winds here for the past week. Lots of people ready for some downwind when it finally kicks - it's gonna be a downwind navy when the wind comes back.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 30, 2013, 04:52:04 AM »
Hi LPB, the new videos with the Dash software are great. Interesting, these videos load super smooth and fast for me compared to the earlier ones. Not sure what has changed but the difference is marked. I went back to the earlier videos to make sure it wasn't just a random high speed internet evening, still had the same slow loading and jerkiness with the old ones.

Back to Maui in September for a few weeks, can't wait! Looking forward to doing some runs with you and the gang. Don't think I've ever been in late September early October, hope the wind is still blowing then...

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #752 on: March 30, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »
Glad the videos are working better JC.  I'm hoping to get some good stuff this summer. 
The V-10 keeps getting better all the time.  More comfy. 

The wind should be fine for you.  Late summer has very good wind. 
Support your local shaper

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #753 on: April 05, 2013, 12:14:23 AM »
Fun maliko today.  Andy is visiting from Denver, he rented a V-10 from Richard, our Epic kayaks rep.  Andy is South African, so he was raised in ski's and K-1's.  Amazing technique.  We had another visitor, Dean from Bellngham WA.  Conditions were light, but the fetch was good so the swells were excellent.  1st maliko for them.

http://youtu.be/k5yAXm-ACQU

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 05, 2013, 04:44:09 AM »
Fun maliko today.  Andy is visiting from Denver, he rented a V-10 from Richard, our Epic kayaks rep.  Andy is South African, so he was raised in ski's and K-1's.  Amazing technique.  We had another visitor, Dean from Bellngham WA.  Conditions were light, but the fetch was good so the swells were excellent.  1st maliko for them.

http://youtu.be/k5yAXm-ACQU

Wow, smooth technique, both the guys made it look effortless. Think I'd better bring my paddle with me, love to do a run or two on a ski when I'm there. Wonder if Richard has a V10S I could rent for a few days - or a V8 if its big!

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #755 on: April 05, 2013, 08:35:21 AM »
Yes, Richard has the V10S and V-8's.  A tandem, V-14 and new version V-10 are on the way from Oahu.  He runs a business and has kids so he's always busy, but makes time to promote ski here on Maui.

Skis are amazing fun in lighter conditions.  Maliko was barely whitecapping yesterday yet we had glides the entire run.  Some of them were outstanding.  Richard would link a few and jump ahead a half mile.   

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 06, 2013, 10:19:53 PM »
LPB, I loved the speedometer on the video.  It really shows how catching bumps is what gets you to the finish line quicker.

A ski is about the only thing that can make light wind conditions enjoyable.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #757 on: April 07, 2013, 01:44:31 AM »
Nice E wind today.  Excellent glides with the E swell. 

http://youtu.be/q2JCyFB6_bs

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #758 on: April 07, 2013, 08:17:06 PM »
It is officially spring and team Bill did a M run today as well.  The top was pretty damn great but a tad sticky at the bottom.  Tide started flushing out and we felt like we were standing still.  First M run in quite some time and it felt fantastic.

Sounds like the canoe guys did epic runs the last two days... starting from Keanae and going to west Maui. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 07, 2013, 09:08:31 PM »
Yeah, it felt pretty good. My bicep that got whacked a few days ago was fine, but I must have taken a whack to the ribs too. they started yelling at me pretty quickly. Just before Kanaha I told the other Bill to go ahead without me, I'd just stay out here and die. Well actually I'd just take it a bit easier, but once he hauled away I picked it up and was probably only five or ten minutes behind at the end. The first thrid was great, second third was sticky, last third was great again.

thanks to Scott Trudon and Ashely for the shuttle. Very civilized. Scott's truck is spotless inside. I felt like I was being chauffeured. Especially compared to my jeep, which looks like a homeless person might be living under all the crap.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #760 on: April 07, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »
Well he's in sales and has normal type people ride in his truck.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #761 on: April 07, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
HM, 25 boats did Keanae to the harbor yesterday (not west maui).  They had great conditions, very east winds are best on that run.  It's a 26 mile run.   

The same gang (the Lae Ula club) did Maliko this morning.  I hitched a ride with them.  They had 2 trailers again, about 25 boats.  Super fun group.

Fun day, less wind than yesterday, but very nice E swell glides.

http://youtu.be/Hji9T5sf0Cs

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 10, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
Great run today, started kind of slow but picked up quick. I was using my radio rudder, and it worked great. I had some issues with my bush league mounting--the duct tape came loose and I had to tie the receiver onto the board while bouncing around off Ho'okipa, but it worked great. It takes a different technique, and I wasn't really getting full use of the greater control until about Camp One, but then it clicked and I was having a blast.

I swapped boards will Headmount at Kanaha. He got the hang of it really quickly, though his shorter fingers made it impossible for him to control the rudder while he was paddling. But since he's so good at reading water and catching bumps that didn't really slow him down and pretty soon he looked like a waterbug, staying in the power section of the swells and getting bodacious long rides.

When you give it full rudder the board actually banks into the turns. You can also use the rudder to regain your balance, turning the board under you to recover. Now I just need to refine this thing and get the attachment and waterproofing to the next level.

Looking forward to testing the autopilot. I rewrote the software tonight and it looks amazing. It adjusts the center trim over a ten degree (five degrees each way) span, slowly correcting the path back to whatever course you lock. I also added reverse expo to both the autopilot and the steering. I think it will be good. It speeds up the rudder response for the first few degrees but then slows it substantially as the rudder turns further. Nice to be able to do this kind of stuff in software.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #763 on: April 11, 2013, 02:01:49 AM »
Early 11:30 shuttle had a fun pack of SUP paddlers and only one ski (LPB who used to do SUP)  PBill and I were planning to ramp up and do two but one tapped us out today.  Good conditions, not great, a little jumbled in sections but beginning four miles was awesome.  Did a GPS run from ramp to beach, trying to get my line straightened out for the summer race season when you don't have concerns about surf. 

But sometimes waves pop up way out at sea, Sarah Palin calls them rogue.  Today one clipped me real good.  Kinda spaced out, running along a trough, in that state of mind where you're not in your head anymore.  Usually that's a good place to be where your body has instant reactions.   But I saw the crest, of the  swell I was riding,  loom up pretty tall.  They get tall like that sometimes but usually never break.  Anyway my zen state didn't compute that it would break way off shore.  But it did.  All the sudden I was off my board  in a very wide swath of whitewater, like a real breaking shore wave.  My leash was stretched to the limit and I was kinda blown away.  How? 

Definitely Sarah Palin.  She could be Gidget, don't you think?

Glad I had a solid leash.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #764 on: April 11, 2013, 07:56:59 AM »
That was an excellent line you and PB were on.  It was great fun on the ski, gradually tracking you guys down.    

Jeremy and Livio straggled behind a bit in the gulch.  Jeremy was on his custom 22" bullet.  Livio tried it for a few minutes, balancing on one foot.  Those guys are aliens.  When they started, I had to tear my arms off to keep them in view.  Jeremy accelerated very quickly and zoomed left to join his group.  Livio headed outside.

PB was up in Paia,  HM a few k's ahead at Sprecks.  I was close behind HM when he got clipped by the white water.  (I have it on video if you want to see what happened, HM).  Very fun across Kanaha.  HM always picks fun lines across the reef.  

http://youtu.be/UbiAU-d80g0  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:05:05 AM by LaPerouseBay »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal