Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403352 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #705 on: November 27, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »
Yes.  LPB confirmed what I saw on the cams and I didn't even load up the truck.  Days are even worse for us on SUBs than LPBs' ski.  Today might be different tho.  Call me Greg.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 27, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »
Why would we call you Greg??? 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 27, 2012, 11:56:55 AM »
You'd call me because it would make you feel like a pro to see me struggling through my fear. ;D

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 27, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »
Why would we call you Greg??? 

God I'm slow. If pdx Mike had written that, I would have gotten it the first time. Gotta get some better coffee.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 27, 2012, 12:54:31 PM »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #710 on: November 27, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »
No, Shirley's with me.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #711 on: November 27, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »
/ Sounds like a spooky day to be out there though.
Yes, it was.  I wasn't having much fun until I got close to the beach.  Relaxed, patient, but zero glides on the big swells. 

(offshore) / Days are even worse for us on SUBs than LPBs' ski. /
Very true.  Ski's are the most forgiving paddle craft in those conditions.  Oc-1's walk a razors edge to maintain hull speed.  They do their best to zoom left, but if the wind gets that ama, over they go.  The elite standups can do magic.  Average standups are in deep trouble.  Best to lay down and prone it in.  The wind will push out, relentlessly. 

Here's a pic of yesterday's line and more video.  The previous vid is footage on the left in the picture, 'close' to shore.  This video starts on the white dot, over a mile offshore. 

The wind is drilling me in the left ear.  I've given up hope of running the ridge of anything fast, just working my way in.  As you can see by the line, I don't make much headway.  Gopros ruin everything more than 20 feet from the boat.  But if you look carefully, I'm searching for threads heading on shore - between the big swells running off shore.  Tough sledding. 

south shore 11-26-12
Support your local shaper

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 27, 2012, 06:10:56 PM »
Just finished an awesome S Sider with nice wind direction. Started at the Canoe Hale in N Kihei and went to Wailea Beach. Good wind most of the way, got a little lighter somewhere off the Cove but then it filled back in near the boat ramp. I was on a borrowed fixed fin 14 and the wind and swell were very friendly. It was no problem angling left (or right). Great bumps right into the beach at the end. Glad it wasn't like yesterday - real glad to miss that. Thanks to Bill and Bill for getting me out there - you guys rock!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #713 on: November 27, 2012, 06:42:51 PM »
You're welcome.  We were lucky and our timing was spot on.  Better that you went on my 14' 6" than that 12'6".  First time that the bottom was better than the top for me.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 27, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »
The 14 6 was really a nice ride and was a surprise in pretty much every way. Very fast on the glides,  much more stable than I expected and very steerable. Really a pleasure to ride. Thanks again! The downwinders I've done with you guys are just outstanding and are the highlight of my trip. I could do those every day forever and never stop grinning or being awed by the incredible ocean here.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 27, 2012, 08:50:02 PM »
That was a good one, and I needed it. Sure cure for the blahs. Looks like no wind for a while, and good surf, so that works too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #716 on: February 12, 2013, 11:21:38 PM »
Fun day on the south shore.  Sol and Lauren bought my old V-10 sport a few weeks ago.  I was the 3rd owner, they are the 5th.  They are loving it.  Excellent cross training for their primary sport of paddling outrigger. 

I lost my gopro2 a few weeks ago, surfing the ski.  No leash on the camera or mount.  :(

This vid is with a gopro3 white edition.  The mount is lower and closer to me, but it still looks ok.  Nice camera - much smaller.

http://youtu.be/gB0V9P9zaL8

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #717 on: February 12, 2013, 11:29:42 PM »
That was fun, especially with the others.  New cam works good but seemed a bit darker than old one.  Did you think so?

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #718 on: February 12, 2013, 11:42:44 PM »
^Yes, the blues should have been brighter that time of day.  Maybe it's the winter sun angle.  And, the sun was going in and out of the clouds.

An early maliko run is usually good for color.  Especially in summer.  Sun from behind is always good with action cams.     

I am happy with the crisp focus at the edges. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 13, 2013, 10:13:41 AM »
I feel your pain LPB, I've lost 2 go pro 2's. I'm down to a relatively cheap hero 1, which I'm not that crazy about. Which is why I will probably never lose it.

The sharpness and clarity is really good I think. Really like having the other boat in the field of view too! I need to put something on my lens, maybe rain x, to keep it clear and free of water droplets.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal