Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403348 times)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #660 on: August 20, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »
Where was JC in the video?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #661 on: August 20, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »
JC was on a SUP Bullet.  LPB would have to drag a brick to stay with a SUP.  Added to that they go out farther.... much farther.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 20, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
People think South Shore = tame and safe, Maliko =  danger when really it's South Shore = no beating but potentially dangerous, Maliko = safe but maybe some beatings.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 20, 2012, 08:27:54 PM »
was @ Ukumehame last week with Randy,wind got 2 strong 4 me,then nuclear,so i came in,and watched Randy rescue 2 women on rented sups getting blown out to Lana'i,they were pretty far out already.Hubbies had already called 911,by the time the boys got there,Randy had brought them safely in.15 minutes later,not a puff of wind,all glassy for about 30 minutes,that's Maui
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #664 on: August 20, 2012, 11:09:07 PM »
Where was JC in the video?

I was searching as I angled in.  Unfortunately, I can only glance to the side for a moment.  A dedicated scan requires a stop and legs out of the boat.  Bright clothing helps.  Friends have hulied in outriggers nearby and I've missed it.  Directly in front is much easier for me. 

LPB would have to drag a brick to stay with a SUP.

That reminds me of a Dave K. story. 

It was a south shore downwinder, good conditions.  I started just before him in my old V-10 sport.  I had my camera going and hoped he would go by.  After about 10 minutes he came gliding by.  The interesting thing is, he wasn't paddling.  He glided by and stayed out front for about 5 minutes, gradually pulling away. 

Not one stroke.  Zero.  I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't filmed it.

When he started paddling he vanished quickly.  WAY out front in a bright red shirt.     
Support your local shaper

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #665 on: August 22, 2012, 01:17:15 AM »
South shore has been good lately.  Here's a short clip from tonight's run.

south shore 8-21-12

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #666 on: August 26, 2012, 02:25:09 AM »
Amazing water color today.  The wind was light and the total lack of north swell meant crystal clear water.  These clips are from the best bits of light color.  Very beautiful on the north shore today.  FUn run too, very steady and predictable glides. 

maliko 8-25-12

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #667 on: September 04, 2012, 01:21:03 AM »
Maliko was good today.  High tide and a good fetch from the east made for good conditions across the reef. 

Summer conditions are the best.  South shore always has something for me after work, malikos are great fun on the weekends. 

I've been on a roll lately with 64 of 65 days paddled in the v-10.  Great fun.  Easy on the shoulders, great for the back.

Mike only has a few maliko's in ski under his belt and he's already zooming across the reef.  It took me years before I'd venture in there.  If you look closely he takes a sharp right to get further out.  Wise move.  It got a bit sketchy after this clip.  Not much to see so I cut it, but I was lucky not to have been mowed.  In winter this area can get very big and very dangerous.  Some call it camp one, it's just before upper kanaha.   

maliko 9-3-12 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #668 on: September 04, 2012, 07:04:46 PM »
That was great, especially when Mike got close.  The addition of even one other paddler makes a huge difference.    Leave tomorrow ... see you in Oct.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 04, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »
Wow, that wave at 3:23 had your number.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #670 on: September 06, 2012, 09:27:54 AM »
^Umm, ok.  911 maybe.  It was shallow and I wanted to work my way out.  Those are powerful, unforgiving swells in there PB.  Like I said, I was lucky not to have been mowed on that reef.  At my skill level, I was too far inside for those conditions.         

Good fun on the south shore Wednesday evening.  GPS and video are great for showing me how keep the average speed up.  The sudden lean backs and nosedives at the end of these clips are to be avoided.  Looks like fun and a good drop, but it almost always kills hull speed.  Smooth transitions and relaxed easy paddling are the key in big boats.  

south shore 9-5-12

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:54:33 AM by LaPerouseBay »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #671 on: September 11, 2012, 01:05:48 AM »
South shore was excellent this evening.  I may bump my paddle out 1 cm (to 210) on days like this.     

south shore 9-10-12

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #672 on: September 12, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »
 I was watching the Kama'ole webcam monday afternoon, and wondered if any was making a run, it was cranking! Glad you got out, looks like it was fun.
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 12, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
The opening pic is great, right as you drop into a bomb.

Fitzsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #674 on: September 13, 2012, 07:44:24 AM »
My wife and I made last minute plans to get to Maui late next week.  We have only been in the winter and are familiar with typical conditions around Kihei during that season.  Since our last visit we have advanced in huge bounds regarding our SUP abilities, but are still "beginners.". We are comfortable in 15mph winds and 3.5' disorganized Great Lake chop.  This thread is of interest to me because of the cited incidents on the South side. 

Our plan is to rent a few boards for the week, get some small wave time in at the beginner spots in Kihei - but we also wanted some open water time.  My assumption has been that we would be "safer" on the south side, and have a greater chance for mild conditions- so we should stay in that area.  We've always wanted to rent a place on the north shore, but I discounted that idea as I thought we would have to drive 45 minutes to get in the water every day

We certainly planned to seek out a guide for any distance paddling, but the question is -  are we any more likely to find safe conditions in either locale this time of year? Or is the south still a better bet, check in with a guide and pick a day for a shorter Maliko run?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal