Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403344 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #585 on: May 28, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »
When the wind clocks in like this for this many hours of the day, several days in a row and blows pretty decent all night long... well it gets special out there, really special.  We launched at 2 and it was screaming.   But a pretty good size east swell starts stacking up on the reefs.  You had to look ahead.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #586 on: May 28, 2012, 08:28:59 PM »
Took Shirley up to Iao for a hike but it was Memorial day and the place was packed.  So I drove down thru Wailuku and we saw this.  She says, "You should go for a run"  I love her.

For you guys coming over for the Naish race the harbor mouth and the crane that is good for lining it up from far away. This harbor opening is quite a ways offshore. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #587 on: May 29, 2012, 12:36:58 AM »

/ a pretty good size east swell starts stacking up on the reefs.  You had to look ahead.

Sometimes looking ahead isn't enough.  My dumb luck finally gave out today and I got plastered at camp one.  It was the first time in a boat.  Held on to the ski and paddle but the hat and glassed were blasted to oblivion.  Didn't stick around to look for them.

The camera mount looked ok, so I high tailed it out of there and settled into a great run.  I was stoked that the footage of the second half would make it.  Unfortunately, the mount had tipped back about 10 degrees.  All the footage after the beating was of the sky.  Oh well, summers just starting...

I'm too fried to edit all the footage so I grabbed 3 minutes from early in the run.  I think I'll grab some more stuff from this run later. 

I'm staying off the water for a few days.   The boat bonked me on the eyebrow, 3 stitches.  It was a wild ride.  Super fun day.  Killer big swells and wind. 

maliko 5-28-12
Support your local shaper

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #588 on: May 29, 2012, 12:54:07 AM »
Nice LPB.  Very nice.  3 stitches?  It was that kind of day.  See the speed limit sign in the pic above?

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #589 on: May 29, 2012, 01:41:10 AM »
Today was amazing! The east swell has been building and the wind has been blowing 40mph for over a week! I looked back a few times and I couldn't believe how big the swells were.
I got tossed in the harbor and my board was flipping in the wind. Glad I had my leash!

Take care of that brow. Nice video LPB.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 29, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »
Ouch, quite a bonk.  That's the thing about super windy conditions, bad things can happen and happen really quickly.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #591 on: May 30, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »
Not itching yet, but the minor swelling is done.  A few more days and it will be right as rain. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #592 on: May 30, 2012, 09:26:53 AM »
Is that betadine yellow?  Mighty close to the eye there pal.  You musta had quite a flow of blood in your face.  Who said this wasn't a contact sport?

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 30, 2012, 10:05:55 AM »
Just curious, is the Maliko shuttle still in business?

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #594 on: May 30, 2012, 10:15:57 AM »
Is that betadine yellow?  Mighty close to the eye there pal.  You musta had quite a flow of blood in your face.  Who said this wasn't a contact sport?

Ha!  The yellow tint is camera error.  No bandages either, just a dab of neosporin. 

No blood during the run, it was just a blob of clotted blood hanging on.  Very minor bruise and swelling.  I posted the pic just to show how minor the cut is. 

Clinic was empty.  In and out in less than an hour.  I was hoping Jill Riggs was in, but she moved to the Wailuku clinic.  The staff at Maui Lani misses her.  She's a peach.   

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #595 on: May 30, 2012, 10:36:50 PM »

Just curious, is the Maliko shuttle still in business?

Indeed.  Kelly is running 3 a day this week. 

She prefers texts, but calling is fine. 

250-1984

Get on her email list.  Her schedule can vary.  She has punch cards and other discount specials this time of year. 

kellyonmaui@gmail.com

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #596 on: May 31, 2012, 03:43:50 AM »
Here's another chunk from Monday's run. 

maliko 5-28-12

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #597 on: June 01, 2012, 08:13:19 AM »
Did a mellow south shore downwinder Thursday evening.  It felt great to be back on the water.  

Here's another chunk from Monday's run. I was very satisfied at this point.  My average speed was better than usual, holding at 9.1.    

I usually hold back and play it safe when it gets a little crazy out there.  As you can see, I don't have the power or ability to charge these swells.  But it will come with time.    

The final video of this run shows what happens when I lose hull speed at just the wrong time.  I'll try to post it tonight.    

maliko 5-28-12
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:36:23 AM by LaPerouseBay »

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #598 on: June 01, 2012, 10:56:03 AM »
LPB, do you ever paddle the OC anymore? I had my first experience in OC-6 last night and was blown away how awesome it was.  So different from my surfski and while the stroke is similar to my SUP, of course as you guys know, it's as different as it can be at the same time. Thought about you Maui guys as I was finishing up sprints at the end of a pretty killer open water paddle in a nice swell. I couldn't help but compare it to the ski in my mind. Anyway, wondered if you did the OC thing at all now that you've become so smitten with the ski?

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 01, 2012, 11:29:21 AM »
OC-1 is my favorite,because of cultural roots.Not a true traditional design,what with  the closed top that won't swamp the canoe( thank you very much) and the rudder,but close enough.Flying the ama(outrigger) is da bomb.The first report ever by a westerner of surfing was by Captain Cook,in Tahiti,and it was canoe surfing,Pakaka nalu in Hawaiian.Downwinders in a 6 on a good sized swell is a rush also.     Ka'apahu canoe
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal