Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 404082 times)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #555 on: May 07, 2012, 02:08:40 PM »
Mike, LPB did some videos with weird morphing when I made a similar comment a while back.  Just keep your focus on the boat and forget the horizon and it will all be ok...

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #556 on: May 07, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »
LPB, thanks for posting this. I was going through withdrawals as it's been a few days. Something about this format that you used really gave me the sensation of climbing the back side of the swell and then I could almost feel the ass end rising as you screamed down the face. Cool!

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #557 on: May 10, 2012, 12:08:28 AM »

LPB---when I see the horizon flopping so much, it makes me think that if we were seeing your rides with a camera that wasn't mounted to your vessel, so that the horizon stayed level and your surfski was what was angling back and forth, your rides would look a lot wilder than they appear in the videos.  

A steady cam would certainly help capture the ride in a realistic fashion.  It's difficult to describe how runs really look compared to the video.  Some parts seem more tame, others wilder. 

IMO, the biggest negative about video is the lack of peripheral vision.  An imax would add a lot to downwinding video.  From the boat we see (feel might be a better word) so much more.  That's all lost in video.      

The hips move around under the ribcage to absorb lateral motion.  That's most of the really wild horizon swings.

This video has a lot of braking in it.  I'm not bracing, but slowing the boat down to keep it from zooming down the face.  The waves on the south shore are often too short to fit my 20 foot boat into.  The best line is to go across the face, but when they are so short and steep, that's very tricky.  So sometimes I brake to stay back on the top of the wave, then accelerate if I see a path.

I ordered a new V-10.  It will be here in a few weeks.  It has more volume in the nose.  It may be able to shoot right through some of those steep, short swells.

south shore 5-9-12  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:28:04 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #558 on: May 10, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »
Well I was going to bug you about how it was today but you just answered my question with that video.  OMG.... thanks LPB

One question what time did you launch?  Victor and I have Dale coming over from Oahu tomorrow and want to go.  Went today over here and top half was great but turned straight onshore at the end.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #559 on: May 10, 2012, 12:45:40 AM »
Solo launch about 3.  It's been very good over here all week.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:52:44 AM by LaPerouseBay »

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 10, 2012, 03:12:05 PM »
Wow, great conditions LPB.

Looking forward to seeing the videos with the V10, which construction are you getting?
The close wave thing is tricky isn't it, I find its a very fine line between going across the face of the wave and broaching. I'm looking at the Carbonology Vault, shorter than the V10S and finer nose.

Makes me wonder if in the close waves that we get in Melbourne whether something like the shorter V8 or the Think Eze might work really well. Seems like a backward step but may actually be more fun. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #561 on: May 10, 2012, 10:29:57 PM »
Construction is going to be a red one, same as my sport.  The durability, stiffness and strength of the kevlar honeycomb is incredible.  The sport has been bashed around a few times, nary a dent or chip in the gelcoat.

As for using a shorter boat, I say if you can try them, do it.  I'll bet those EZ's and V-8's are a blast.  If the smaller boats fit the wave and allow you to turn and surf, go for it.  If we only had flat water we'd all be in atoms.   

Personally, I'm on a mission to brain damage as many outriggers as possible.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 11, 2012, 11:27:52 AM »
Personally, I'm on a mission to brain damage as many outriggers as possible. 

He he.  Just keep the nose pointed downhill, and its see you later...

LPB, are you going to do the race on the ski this weekend?

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #563 on: May 11, 2012, 11:26:58 PM »
^ If only they had a category for skis.  Oh well, more money available for Kelly's shuttle.  Not paddling the standup or oc-1 at the Olukai either.  I should have tried to keep up on both, but didn't. 

Wind is going to be light Sunday for the oc-1 race.  I'll bet someone from Oahu wins this year.  I think Dave K. will win the standup race Saturday. 

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #564 on: May 11, 2012, 11:49:34 PM »
I'm on Maui!! met the gang at Kanaha, and seen Danny Ching coming in from a early downwinder riding a 17' V1 Bullet covered in 404 stickers. pretty cool to see.

Got my first tast of Maliko today.... all I have to say, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! you maui boys got some epic conditions, so fun.  But.... whats up with all the monster turtles!!!! and they dont move for nobody, I didn't hit any turtles which is lucky I guess I lost count of how many I seen. Getting in to the beach is a little tricky for sure

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 12, 2012, 06:54:58 PM »
808, good luck and have fun!

LPB, do they have Maliko races that include skis, or are there not enough skis to justify a separate category?

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #566 on: May 12, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »
 Hey, not to parrot what 1p2p said, but hope you had a good time! Getting to do the Maliko with everyone must be a real cool experience.

Who knows, maybe I'll try to make it over next year for the race, after all, someone has to come in last place :D.
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 12, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »
I'm on Maui!! met the gang at Kanaha, and seen Danny Ching coming in from a early downwinder riding a 17' V1 Bullet covered in 404 stickers. pretty cool to see.

Got my first tast of Maliko today.... all I have to say, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! you maui boys got some epic conditions, so fun.  But.... whats up with all the monster turtles!!!! and they dont move for nobody, I didn't hit any turtles which is lucky I guess I lost count of how many I seen. Getting in to the beach is a little tricky for sure

Speedbumps. They're so used to us they just don't care.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #568 on: May 12, 2012, 09:14:37 PM »
Yes, watch out for those turtles, the big ones will mess with you.  I had one look at me as I slammed on the brakes.  Then he dove - so I continued without steering away and the bastard resurfaced.  WHAM, I thought the nose of my ski was crushed.  Lucky for me the boat was ok.  The turtle probably didn't feel a thing.  He was a monster.    

LPB, do they have Maliko races that include skis, or are there not enough skis to justify a separate category?

Yes, there are several maliko races that include skis.  

The MCKC series runs from January thru April with a race every 2 or three weeks.  One is a maliko to the harbor, the other is also maliko to the harbor (short course) and a long course Kaenae to the harbor.  

There are usually about 10 skis in the MCKC races.  

We did a maliko to the harbor a few weeks ago which was the Imua.  85 sup's, about 30 oc's and only 2 skis.  Everyone was out of town for that one.  There are also fund raisers for some of the 6 man clubs, they let skis race with 'em.  

MCKC just ran the Maui Molokai.  Zsolt beat all the big names in oc-1.  I don't think Karel was there, But Kai, Jimmy, Danny etc...  

Maui has some fast paddlers on ski. They are right up there with the elite oc-1's and often beat them.  I'm not sure why the Olukai doesn't include ski's.  Money maybe.  They would have to split the purse to include prizes for the skis.  

The Molokai Oahu for skis is the 20th.  Zsolt and Greg Barton may do it in a V-10 double.  If conditions are good, they should kill it.

I heard Connor won the Olukai, then Travis,  Danny, Dave K, Jamie, Livio, Kai Lenny, Kaeo Abbey then Jeremy.    
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:35:56 PM by LaPerouseBay »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #569 on: May 13, 2012, 10:52:59 PM »
This is the smoking thread and since the first week in Feb, it has smoked pretty consistently.  But today it totally glassed off.  Kinda of wild and incredibly silent in comparison to the usual roar.  Tonight's sunset. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal