Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 404271 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #525 on: April 23, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »
I don't know...from where I'm sitting it looks like the ADD is hitting on all eight cylinders.

You may be onto something there Bill (as I am reading the new issue of Excellence, trolling the Zone, playing with Maximus, talking through a data integration issue with the wife, watching The Pacific on DVD and working on an employee evaluation)  :)
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 23, 2012, 09:46:36 PM »
I have ADD too, but it's under control exce

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 24, 2012, 12:17:08 AM »
For the last time PDX, I DO NOT have designs on Dianne!

Besides, she let me know that my ADD is still way too under control for her.

She said something about maybe giving her a call when I welded an SUP/ Outrigger/ Hobie trimaran rack onto my Spec Boxster track car... or when I retired, then started two e-magazines, and fundamentally revolutionized the human gait...

I figure that I am likely not going to achieve either... so the Genie costume will be reserved for someone else...

Tim
Every so often there's a post that makes me think that maybe there should be a thread where people can go to ask what someone meant on another thread. 

Where people could ask about genies, big waves off Kanagawa, ineffable, how to translate Australian...

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #528 on: April 24, 2012, 01:04:33 AM »
Wind was excellent all day on the south shore.  My typical after work run is to cove park, about 5.5 miles.  The swells are rather tight for a 20 foot boat, but still great fun.

Just wonder how my V8 would do in this conditions? Bet it would be a blast.

Yes, I think the V-8 would do very well on the south shore.  It's a 'technical' run, with steep, short period swells.  The shorter length of the V-8 should let it turn more quickly. 

In the V-10S it's always a battle to keep from pearling the nose.  The guys on surfski.info say the V-10S pearls too easily.  I'm looking for a V-10 now.  I'm anticipating ramming right over those little bastards.  It's fun to railroad bumps in the V-10S, but will pearl up to my feet when I miss time it.       

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:22:55 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #529 on: April 24, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »
LPB, you mentioned your _after work run_. I didn't think you guys had to work over there. Figured it was all play all the time. Ha!

Interesting to hear you are thinking of making the move to the V10. I imagined you would evolve to that as quickly as you have mastered the V10S. You mentioned the length sometimes feeling a little longer than you would might like. I was reading somewhere on the inter webs the other day about the fact that surf skis of old were shorter and fatter. I also wonder a lot about rocker. In the article I was reading they were sharing that the original ChalupSKI by Chalupsky had a fair amount of rocker. I have been thinking pretty seriously about stepping up to a Stellar SR and it has definite rocker in the bow. I don't necessarily like the look as much as the plumb bow but as I learned from my cycling days I can't see any of that stuff when I'm on the machine. It simply becomes a performance thing. At home in FL it's pretty much short chop so it seems the shorter boat would do better. Who knows? Another great run in that last video. Must be a blast to maintain that speed for that long, huh?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #530 on: April 24, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
I guess this has become the smoking Maui report these days as it's probably too much to resurrect the Smoking south side report.  

Yesterday smoked on the south side.  It was grey, not sunny like when LPB took that cool vid the day before yet it was still off the charts good.  I went with Jeremy, RR, and Steve.  Jeremy was still under the weather but like MJordan playing in the playoffs with the flu, he still can surge whenever he wishes... for instance... he was paddling backwards shooting vid of the three of us.  Cracked me up.  There was lots to see like a vision of RR dropping in with just the back eighth of his 16' board connected with the water or Jeremy paddling right by a turtle as big as an island.  He was shooting vid so maybe we'll see.  We went medium long and the wind backed off a taste towards the very end but still gliding.  3 Bullets and a F-16.  Pretty buzzed at the end of the run.

Maliko can be great but also can be frustrating.  When the south side is like it has been, it's all gratification.  And the really cool thing is a group can stay together fairly easy.  

We had a lifeguard come out and ask us if we'd seen a gal named Linda.  Hopefully she was found.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 24, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
In the V-10S it's always a battle to keep from pearling the nose.  The guys on surfski.info say the V-10S pearls too easily.  I'm looking for a V-10 now.  I'm anticipating ramming right over those little bastards.  It's fun to railroad bumps in the V-10S, but will pearl up to my feet when I miss time it.

I told...you...don't say it!

The huge snout of the V-10 really makes it difficult to shove that much volume underwater.  Ericspin was talking about the older boats having more rocker, and he is right - they had more rocker and were a bit wider for more stability.  The older boats were pretty similar in dimension (at least length and width) to the present V-10S and Mako XT.  Its a proven design, and the numbers work.  But they are not as fast as the newer designs.

The V-10 and all of the shapes it inspired have what I see as a "virtual" rocker, especially on the front half.  If you put the boat on the ground, the front part of the bottom of the boat is nearly in contact with the ground for the entire length of the boat.  But the nose is knifelike and vertical, so that when it first hits the water, the boat is not trying to lift over anything, it is slicing through it.  The lift starts something like 1-2' back from the front of the boat.

All this seems to result in that instead of having to run over bumps, the V-10 actually cuts through the top of the wave, rather than lifting over it, so that you do not have to lift the entire mass over the swell; you only have to lift the mass about 4" below the top of the wave you are trying to get over.

I wondered why they didn't make the V-10S with more nose volume.  The XT had they same pearling issue as LPB describes.  I think Fenn saw this "missing link" when they created the Swordfish.  I bet that would be a fantastic big water ski - a bit more stability than the V-10 or the Elite but with almost as much speed.  Probably a good ski to do Molokai on.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #532 on: April 24, 2012, 01:38:39 PM »
LPB... Guess it's easier to operate the camera with it in front and that's why you switched to front mount but I preferred the back one like you had before where we could see you paddle.  Conditions were great in your last vid but just the nose of your ski is all we can see, which would be cool if there was another paddler in the frame.  Prospective and contrast.  If you're screaming down the hwy in a BMW with the windows rolled up, it's hard to get the feel of how fast you're going. 

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #533 on: April 24, 2012, 02:45:05 PM »
1P2P, I am surprised that the Swordfish hasn't come more often. Seems like Rob and the guys over at surfski.info are pretty high on it. I would really love to paddle one of these. I have created a fund for a new SUP race board but am always negotiating with myself to instead buy a faster ski. Decisions, decisions.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 24, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »
Ericspin, if the Swordfish is as good as they say I bet it would be a great choice for really rough water, and probably a very good all around boat.  Fast enough in the flats and stable enough for the bumps.

We have a Fenn distributor who lives near me.  Even though I have no interest in purchasing a surfski I think I will ask him if he has one I can try.

The cost of a carbon vacuum surski is bracing ($3900!!), a huge differential from a regular glass ski ($2500).  I paid $3400 and change for my carbon vacuum V-10 five and a half years ago, I guess that is inflation.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #535 on: April 24, 2012, 11:56:03 PM »

We had a lifeguard come out and ask us if we'd seen a gal named Linda.  Hopefully she was found.

Yes, she's fine.  As I was unloading my boat she walked up to say hello.  She has a V-10S and a V-10L back home in Vancouver. 

I think Jack gave her a ride back to her car.  He mentioned she had broken her iakos or something.  I had to paddle quickly to get home before sundown - so didn't chat much.

/ you have mastered the V10S.

Far from it.  The videos are only the best parts.  I know you are speaking rhetorically, but this is a forum.

I told...you...don't say it!

I remember.

Our local epic rep can get me a deal on an almost new boat.  Although the other manufacturers may have better stuff, I'm going with the V-10.  Any of the elite boats will be a lot better than I am.

Nice explaination on the plumb bow.

I'm not thrilled about the extra windage of a V-10, but it's worth the tradeoff, without a doubt.  A big water boat can be exercised here on Maui.     

LPB... Guess it's easier to operate the camera with it in front and that's why you switched to front mount but I preferred the back one like you had before where we could see you paddle. 

I prefer the view from behind also.  I'll repair the mount one of these days.  And get a gopro2 with dashware...   

Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 25, 2012, 07:34:19 AM »
 Jeremy was still under the weather but like MJordan playing in the playoffs with the flu, he still can surge whenever he wishes... for instance... he was paddling backwards shooting vid of the three of us.  Cracked me up.  

That's the kind of thing that confirms his alien status. On a board shaped like a telephone pole he can ride backwards and even paddle into swells. That's sick. I DID see him fall once this winter, but he got back up onto his board and his feet in one smooth move that made me gag.

Not human.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 25, 2012, 01:47:17 PM »
I'm not thrilled about the extra windage of a V-10, but it's worth the tradeoff, without a doubt.  A big water boat can be exercised here on Maui.     

You won't even notice the windage on the nose of the ski.  Compared to how significant wind is to SUP, the wind force on the V-10's nose is basically irrelevant.  Skis laugh at sidewinds.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #538 on: April 26, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »
Yesterday I did a run on my old 14' since my Bullet was getting repaired.  Strange getting back on a no-rudder board... my left foot kept searching for the peddle.  But it was fun. 

The 14 feels surfy after being on the 17 for so long ...  was able to do some great backside cutbacks  and @ 28" wide, stable, no falls.  Those steep critical moments where the 17 might poke, I could attack with abandon.  The doomed deck was also nice to return to, as it allows your feet to move much more freely than the slightly recessed deck on the Bullet. 

But the break away speed that carries you over a flatter sloped step and into the big glide wasn't there like it is for the Bullet.

Conditions were great and Buzzy Kerbox took this pic right before the point where there is no more posing.  Couple yds further and on a no-rudder board you have your foot wrapped over your right rail paddling hard so as not to get pushed onto the left side of the gulch.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 27, 2012, 03:27:02 AM »
Nice pic HM... You are living the life... 8)
May I ask what make your 14 is? Looks like a SIC, or maybe a Foote..??

Thanks for the ongoing Maui reports (all of you in this thread..)

David S.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal