Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403303 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #510 on: April 17, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »
Nothing but diamonds out there today and steering was the theme of the run.  We were going to go golfing but decided on these links instead.

Excellent choice I'd say!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 17, 2012, 11:27:39 PM »
Golf!! I'm saving that for when I get old.

Damn that was fun today, the perfect way to stamp "DONE" on a fine winter, cut a little short. Ah well, back to Hood River tomorrow--time to start NOT falling in that cold river. You'd be amazed, Bill, how much better my balance in when the water temp is 50.

Thanks for the pics. It was a nice run. Coming over the reef was a hoot, and Camp one was about as big as I've seen it. What were we doing so far in???  No wonder we got tagged.

I don't think I can really call that tagged. More like bulldozed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 18, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
Golf!! I'm saving that for when I get old.
I'm getting visions of reading this thread 20 years from now--page 21,473.  Headmount posting videos along the 14th fairway--not sure if they'll focus on the actual golf, or how fast PonoBill is driving his cart with 8 sets of clubs on the roof rack, driving into ditches.  Still hasn't settled on a camera mount, or what the best focal length is for capturing the action.  PonoBill testing out his clubs he made in his garage, after two years of posts showing the 5-pound, duct-taped, epoxied repaired clubs he keeps breaking.  Periodic reports of problems getting back to clubhouse due to weather shifts or starting out too late in the day.

Every few days a new video from LaPerouseBay--GoPro mounted on back of cart, driving the course, doing much better than he'll give himself credit for, occasionally getting passed by golf cart drivers with Eastern European names and narrower carts.  Is debating about getting a narrower one himself someday. 

Occasional gps screen shots showing paths of golf balls--low trajectories with predictable flights, but high possibility of hitting hazards, or high trajectories going much further due to picking up wind, but possibilities of getting blown into the ocean....

Occasional balls hit through windows, with irate homeowners captured on video.  Video of PB entering house through shattered window to apologize to owner, only to find owner is Strand Leper, sitting on sofa dressed in genie outfit due to idea he got from bad golf joke PM'd to him from me 21 years before. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:50:29 AM by pdxmike »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #513 on: April 18, 2012, 12:03:20 PM »
Heckle and Jeckle on the green of the 18th hole.  A good drive from here gets you into the ocean.

So PDX how about you?  Will you be in one of those Portlandia restaurants asking the chicken's name and if he had a good life?  Primal but not Paleo.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 18, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
I've already gone full Primal. My daughter likes baking sugar cookies, so I just got her a new cookie cutter.  So now all the sugar cookies are shaped like squirrels.  Tell me that's not Primal.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #515 on: April 19, 2012, 12:29:21 AM »
40+ mph today.  Epic to the oil tanks.  Three days straight in this wind range has me pretty tapped out.

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #516 on: April 19, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »
Heckle and Jeckle on the green of the 18th hole.  A good drive from here gets you into the ocean.

So PDX how about you?  Will you be in one of those Portlandia restaurants asking the chicken's name and if he had a good life?  Primal but not Paleo.

PonoBill, where did you get that shirt?!! my favorite "beverage" for sure!
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #517 on: April 19, 2012, 10:56:55 PM »
My daughter likes baking sugar cookies, so I just got her a new cookie cutter.  So now all the sugar cookies are shaped like squirrels.  Tell me that's not Primal.
That cracks me up. 

South shore was windy this evening.  Almost had a minute over 11 mph.  The ski just keeps getting better and better.

Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 20, 2012, 07:21:13 AM »

PonoBill, where did you get that shirt?!! my favorite "beverage" for sure!

Like 90 percent of my clothing it's a freebie event shirt. From one of last year's Maui Canoe and Kayak Club events. On the back it says "Catch me if you can". One of my favorite shirts.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #519 on: April 23, 2012, 02:23:12 AM »
Excellent wind on the south shore today.  The second clip is primarily to show the wind speed.  It was really going for a few minutes. 

south shore, 4-22-12

Support your local shaper

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 23, 2012, 01:15:34 PM »
LPB, that was great footage.  I like the way you have to weave between the straight downwind bumps and the ones swinging in from the right.  And that now on the ski you often can connect them.

The HK run was probably a 7.5 or 8 out of 10 yesterday afternoon, took out the F-16 for a solo run.  Overall was a good solid run.  But what is incredibly annoying about the Hawaii Kai run is that at about 4 miles from the blinker buoy, outside of Kahala, there is very often a wind shadow or wind interference where the wind can absolutely die, even after its been pushing pretty good up to that point.  Then what you have is chop with no push from behind.  This situation gives way as you approach Black Point and the wind picks up again, but then you contend with rebounding waves coming right at you as you are trying to get around Black Point for the stretch outside Diamond Head.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #521 on: April 23, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »
I felt bad missing it yesterday and now I feel horrible.  That was off the charts epic.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 23, 2012, 02:24:50 PM »
For the last time PDX, I DO NOT have designs on Dianne!

Besides, she let me know that my ADD is still way too under control for her.

She said something about maybe giving her a call when I welded an SUP/ Outrigger/ Hobie trimaran rack onto my Spec Boxster track car... or when I retired, then started two e-magazines, and fundamentally revolutionized the human gait...

I figure that I am likely not going to achieve either... so the Genie costume will be reserved for someone else...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 23, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »
I don't know...from where I'm sitting it looks like the ADD is hitting on all eight cylinders.

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #524 on: April 23, 2012, 08:25:01 PM »
LPB, if the grunting and groaning and heard breathing are any indication this must've been an awesome run. I can relate to the noises. Cannot even imagine what a vid of me would sound like. I _talk_ my way through tough conditions a lot. Just wonder how my V8 would do in this conditions? Bet it would be a blast. Thanks again for more great footage.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal