Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403306 times)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #450 on: March 29, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »
Here's a fun Maliko run Jeremy Riggs and I did 3/24/2012. Small craft advisory 10 - 12 foot sea's.
Paddled outside a bit. Go Pro mounted on the rear of my F16 and using 4 different angles on our way down. I'm liking the rear and side facing angles the best so far, still experimenting. Jeremy is piloting the SIC Bullet and demonstrating why he is one of the fast guy's... skill and grace on display. Fun to watch him whip a 17'4" board around effortlessly, and always in total control. I always enjoy watching Jeremy practice his art. Hope you enjoy!

Select 720p or better then watch full screen for optimal enjoyment.

A Maliko Downwinder Featuring SIC Maui - The Bullet & the F16

Great video.  That freeze frame of Jeremy on top of that monster wave was really something. Good ideas on the different video cam angles.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 29, 2012, 11:42:19 AM »
In 720p and full screen I really get the feeling of a real Maliko instead of the usual flatter look most angles and cameras create. This shot from right around 6:15 in nearly dizzying in full screen. Very cool video. Do you mind if I share this on Ke Nalu?

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 29, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
ericspin--The one at the shop is an Epic--V8, I think, or possibly V10 Sport.  I purposely stay away, since a surfski would wipe out my $$$ I need for more important things like a new fin, Ke Nalu paddle and taxes.   I see several skis on the river here--almost all Epics--V8, V10, V10 Sport. 

In the meantime, I have a relatively narrow kayak, so I paddle that occasionally, and pretend it's a surfski.  It's also white, which helps with the illusion.  And since I have the kayak already, I'd want a surfski that was signficantly more challenging--since I haven't ever paddled one, I don't know if that means any surfski, or maybe I'd pass over something like the V8 and go to something the next level up.  It's all flatwater (unless I go up to the Gorge).  Whatever the one in the shop was (most likely a V8) the owner said I'd have no trouble going from my kayak to that. 

In the meantime, I'm loving this thread.

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 29, 2012, 12:24:39 PM »
In 720p and full screen I really get the feeling of a real Maliko instead of the usual flatter look most angles and cameras create. This shot from right around 6:15 in nearly dizzying in full screen. Very cool video. Do you mind if I share this on Ke Nalu?

Aloha Bill, of course you can post it.... I'd love it to get out there! It might be cool to let people know that Jeremy is available for guides and coaching, did you see Jeremy's version of the same run? You can find it at thejeremyriggs you tube page. It's a lot shorter at around 3 min. I like showing some paddling and I'm trying to give the viewer a sense of the size out there, maybe post both... the extended version and the shorter version?

You might ask Jeremy if he wants his name and contact info out there as far as the coaching and guiding goes, I would think he would.

Anyway Mahalo for the positive review!!

PS... I'm using the Blur Fix Lens from Snake River Prototyping. It's a standard size flat lens so you can use different lens filters, thinking about trying a polarized lens for those sunny days shooting into the sun. Also it has a slot built in so you can put in anti fogging beads inside the lens housing. So far I've had no fogging issues using this. Now looking for something to keep the water from clinging to the lens. If you have any suggestion other than RainX please let me know. On this run I used the lick it and dip it method. It seemed to work well until I pointed the camera forward, it did OK but I wish it wouldn't be an issue at all. I've been hearing about super hydrophobic coatings that repel water. Not sure if someone is offering this in a bottle that you could apply yourself? Sure would be nice to get that issue resolved.

Mahalo!!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #454 on: March 29, 2012, 12:47:33 PM »
I keep getting Shanghaied by work but yesterday on the way to Kihei, I took some pics of Maalaea Bay.  From top to bottom is from left to right side as you would look out to sea from above Maalaea.  Trying to show the gap between the tip of Maui and Molokini crater and then the gap between Molokini and Kahoolawe.  THese two gaps are what you want to avoid... the goal being to skirt the left shoreline of Maui.  The last pic is a close up of the run area.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #455 on: March 29, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
And for the overall POV, I'll reinsert RainWaves pic he took from up high.  This is the south side run on Maui.

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #456 on: March 29, 2012, 01:09:27 PM »
 Here's another shot from farther down the ridge that catches everything above. Also, a question: is Kahoolawe still "off limits"? I saw what looked to be a very big sandy beach out on the Western end from up there.
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #457 on: March 29, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
Yes it is off limits.  There are still safety issues with unexploded ordinance from when they used to use the island for bomb practice.  They won't even let you anchor close to shore.  But if you ever have the option of going ashore on Kahoolawe vs continuing on out that gap, then go ashore.  You might be in trouble but you'd get to live.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #458 on: March 29, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »
Do you use any type of paddle leash. I know some guys I paddle with in FL use ONLY a paddle cord and swear they never let go of their paddle. 

From what I've read, a paddle leash will act like a brake if the boat gets away.  Some also say that a leg leash - paddle leash combo can be dangerous if they tangle.  Personally, I prefer to be connected to the boat.  I've dropped the paddle in big conditions and had to release my grasp on the boat and swim to it.  It was not fun.  You should spend time over on surfski.info for safety advice.  I'm new to this sport.  The cold water guys have the best ideas.     

The veterans over on surfski.info are adamant about a leash.  A recent thread had RAB complaining about the hassle of a leg leash.  'Too short, prevents me from bla bla bla...'  He's been around and should be more sensitive to the fact that new paddlers search the forums for advice and may take his words out of context.  He stepped on a landmine with that post (probably intentionally) and the vets called him out.     

My guess is that many of the top paddlers avoid forums because they don't want to entice a novice out in hazardous conditions.  'Wow, that guy did a channel solo with no support, I think I'll try that too"...

Here's a classic example from the wayback machine.  Wind was scheduled to be epic for about 10 days when our grand poohbah posted this.  The MCKC Kaenae race was soon.  I was in oc-1 and planned on attempting it.  I was a first timer, terrified and rightfully so.     

I want to do a run from Kaenae on a SUP sooner or later, maybe sooner is sooner.

In my opinion, that's an extremely difficult task on an SUP.  Paddlers with ten times my ability have told me they will never do it again.  Apparently, 10 miles of side on trades and disorganised open ocean swell is very tough to navigate on a standup.   

My fears were justified. I did the race, but it was no race for me - mere survival.  The white water pushed me off my seat several times.  Oc-1's are much safer than standups in those conditions.  It's a 25 mile run with rock cliffs the first half.  PB wouldn't have made 5 miles. 
Support your local shaper

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 29, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »
Agree with LPB as to using the leg leash.  In heavy conditions, I would only accept my body (via my ankle) being tethered to the boat.  A heavy enough wipeout could separate me from my boat and rip the paddle out of my hands, and if that happened I could be SOL - without a paddle or a boat.

Yeah its a bitch when you flop out and the leash gets wrapped around the bottom on the ski, but it sure is reassuring that (without failure of the leash) the boat can go no further than the end of the leash.

In the marina I will take the leash off.  Even if I fell (not likely) the boat will not get away from me.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #460 on: March 29, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »
Sweet video Randy. That was fun to watch. I'm dying to get out ther someday and that gave me the best sense yet of what I could be in for...wahhooo!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:36:46 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #461 on: March 29, 2012, 06:39:43 PM »
Thanks for the leash talk. Please don't misunderstand me though....I NEVER go out without my calf leash....NEVER. As a very new ski paddler I ventured out one day without the leash and it turned into a very nasty day. I had several getoffs I really sketch conditions and vowed that would never happen again. I now wrap my leash around my paddle so I will not forget it.  Just curious about others preferences and why. LPB, I frequent the surfski.info forum several times a day and participate often. I witnessed the RAB thread. But he's always stepping off in it.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #462 on: March 29, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »
I assumed you wore your leash all the time eric.  

I was prompted to switch from a calf leash to the rear mount for a few reasons.  Primarily because I was unclipping to reset the camera.  Now I can swim back without unclipping.  Also, If I ever get nailed in shorebreak, (unlikely) the leash will stretch far enough to keep the ski from killing me, yet let me have some control over it.  With the coiled leash, I enter and exit the water clipped in.      

Some of my landings are in populated surf zones.  It's mild, and safe, but I try to assume the worst.  Clipping out, losing a grip on the ski and watching it mow some kids over is a fate worse than death.

For any oc-1 fans, the storm is here.  Unidirectional carbon, seamless construction.

Light, strong and polished in every detail.  Finest boat I've ever seen.     

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:50:36 PM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #463 on: March 29, 2012, 08:26:20 PM »
Pono came by late this morning.  Looked grim out front of my place on the north shore.  We chatted for a bit and then decided to check the web cam on south side.  Took forever for the cam to load but it did and conditions looked surprisingly good in the face of a poor forecast.  A confirmation call to LPB and we loaded up fast.  The run was great.

I love this modern age.  I've spent many years and hours driving around this island fruitlessly searching for waves and to be able to access info and rally quickly is pretty damn cool.  Also appreciate PBill who is always ready to roll and LPB who is a great south shore spotter.  Talked to LPB later and he did twice our distance.  Everything was clicking today, firing on all cylinders.  Great day.

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 29, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »
Sweet video Randy. That was fun to watch. I'm dying to get out ther someday and that gave me the best sense yet of what I could be in for...wahhooo!

Super glad you enjoyed it Stoneaxe!! For sure a classic run. I'm jonesing for another smoker.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal