Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403364 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #435 on: March 27, 2012, 01:53:16 AM »
The first 5 minutes of this clip is an average speed of 9.9 mph.  I wish I could hold that speed longer.  Great fun.  South shore was good today.   

south shore 3-26-12

1.8 miles out, 3 mile swim.

Support your local shaper

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #436 on: March 27, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Wind speed guess?  Victor checked in afternoon at Sudas and thought it was a tad offshore around the launch.

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #437 on: March 27, 2012, 08:16:56 PM »
 My Son and I hiked up the Lahina Pali trail this morning, then cut uphill on one of the "logging roads" in search of a better view down towards Ma'alaea bay. Goregeous up there, and the variety of vegetation was something else. The road we were on went up into the clouds (almost even with the highest Windmills, damn, those things are huge :o!), then looped back down under the power lines to where we started from.
 Here is a different perspective from the "birdseye view", for those who aren't familiar with the area:
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #438 on: March 28, 2012, 12:43:54 AM »

Wind speed guess?  Victor checked in afternoon at Sudas and thought it was a tad offshore around the launch.

Probably 20-30mph.   

Today was another fun one.

south shore 3-27-12

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 28, 2012, 09:45:50 AM »
Did a southside with Rod Parmenter, it was pretty good.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #440 on: March 28, 2012, 10:10:42 AM »
Rain Waves... that was a great pic, thanks.  Those old roads up there used to be the old way to Lahaina before 1951.  In the late 1800s there used to be the Hawaiian equivalent of highwaymen that would ambush sole travelers on that road.  Makes you appreciate police.  We take for granted being able to travel roads safely these days.  However cell coverage is sketchy along that Pali.

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #441 on: March 28, 2012, 11:26:18 AM »
LPB, a couple of questions. First, in your most recent vid from the 27 th you mentioned that your calf leash was toast and you were using the coiled leash behind. What is it anchored to? I'm always screwing with this in my mind as I really dislike the footwell being so full of cable. Second, what GPS are you using? Do you have it secured to the bungees in the fore of the cockpit? Or does the V10S have the bungee setup? A shot of your cockpit would be cool with your setup as it is when you are paddling. Thanks.

Really enjoyed the vid from the 27th and it seemed a little calmer than some of the recent Maliko's. Looks like you had some nice pushes. Is your lay back a holdover from the OC. Or am I just using bad form by not doing that? Then again, I certainly do not get that kind of following sea when I am home in FL. Our stuff is more often pretty choppy.

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 28, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »
Here's a fun Maliko run Jeremy Riggs and I did 3/24/2012. Small craft advisory 10 - 12 foot sea's.
Paddled outside a bit. Go Pro mounted on the rear of my F16 and using 4 different angles on our way down. I'm liking the rear and side facing angles the best so far, still experimenting. Jeremy is piloting the SIC Bullet and demonstrating why he is one of the fast guy's... skill and grace on display. Fun to watch him whip a 17'4" board around effortlessly, and always in total control. I always enjoy watching Jeremy practice his art. Hope you enjoy!

Select 720p or better then watch full screen for optimal enjoyment.

A Maliko Downwinder Featuring SIC Maui - The Bullet & the F16

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 28, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »
Sure has been good lately. 24th was amazing though 23rd was crazier. I was talking to Kathy yesterday at the end of a run from Boardwalk to Sorrentos and she said it was right at the outer edge of what she feels comfortable with. That's really saying something, she's really good. 

I looked at her new Foote Maliko 14. It can't weigh more than ten pounds.

That camera angle works really well. Funny how you don't really get an idea of the wave sizes until you pause the video to a still picture. Then it looks nuts.

Jeremy just flat out pisses me off. He makes it look so easy and smooth.

The video reminds me that there's a good reason the first thing Bill tells newbies is "don't look back".
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #444 on: March 29, 2012, 01:04:27 AM »
Perfect combo with you two.  The faster guy should follow so that the action comes at you and gets bigger.  That was great.  I'm going to use that angle.  Liked the music also.  On a sunny day that's going to look fantastic.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #445 on: March 29, 2012, 03:43:13 AM »
Nice video Randy.  That gopro2 looks good. 

First, in your most recent vid from the 27 th you mentioned that your calf leash was toast and you were using the coiled leash behind. What is it anchored to?
A leash string through one of the star thingies that holds down the cargo bungees.

Second, what GPS are you using? Do you have it secured to the bungees in the fore of the cockpit?
The strap is built up with some foam to hold the 305 watchband.

Looks like you had some nice pushes. Is your lay back a holdover from the OC. Or am I just using bad form by not doing that?

Leaning way back isn't good form.  It decreases your ability to balance the ski with the paddle stroke.           

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:54 AM »
Perfect combo with you two.  The faster guy should follow so that the action comes at you and gets bigger.  That was great.  I'm going to use that angle.  Liked the music also.  On a sunny day that's going to look fantastic.

Thanks Bill, yeah that angle helps to show the face of the bumps better I think. Also using multiple angles makes it bit more interesting especially with the longer clips eh? I'm pretty stoked with the new GoPro, it can do 3 fields of view (wide, medium and narrow). I used the med, It's seems to be more like a regular camera FOV.

Oh yeah, and having Jeremy in the frame almost guarantees good things will happen, you can see how he slows down to stay in view of the camera. It was fun for me because I just paddled like hell and I didn't have to worry if about running away from him...Ha!   

Thanks for the thumbs up brah!! I love your vids!!

Randy

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »
The strap is built up with some foam to hold the 305 watchband.
Hey, no fair!  Every video you post makes we want a surfski.   With that photo of the Garmin 305 (which I do have) you might as well have captioned it, "Hey, PDX, here's what your 305 would look like in your new surfski". 

There's one sitting in a kayak shop a couple hundred yards from my house.  Now I'm going to start thinking, "Well, I already have the gps, and the leash, and the carabiner and the string....".

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #448 on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:57 AM »
LPB, thanks for the response. Amazing how much deeper the bucket is on your boat than in my V8. I am going to have a little stash of money to play with soon and the plan was to buy a new 14' board but I wonder if I can resist a faster ski? I like the idea on the leash, I may try that myself. Do you use any type of paddle leash. I know some guys I paddle with in FL use ONLY a paddle cord and swear they never let go of their paddle. Having watched my boat sizzle across the top of the water away from me, I would never trust that. Thankfully it was blowing into a sandbar. Thanks for the photos.

Eric

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #449 on: March 29, 2012, 11:03:13 AM »
PDX, go buy the ski. You will love it. Mine has really become my _go to_choice on the water. With all these new intermediate skis there really is no reason not to do it. What kind have you looked at?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal