Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403372 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #405 on: March 19, 2012, 12:49:52 AM »
Glad you like the videos HM.

The camera allows me to examine the run and notice mistakes.  The view from behind is very helpful after the run. 

maliko 3-18-12
Support your local shaper

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 19, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »
Beautiful weather and conditions.  I also like the aspect that camera location gives; the only issue is that the see-sawing horizon is a bit unsettling. 

A necessary evil of surf ski maybe.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #407 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »
Youtube has a free image stabilizer.  It has a scale of 1 to 10 to choose from, this version is on 2.  If you look closely, the sky bends around like a funhouse mirror.  The 10 version is smoother, but the distortion is more severe.  The picture is smaller too. 

If the original scrolling text is any indication, this version is a lot smoother than the original.  I chose 2 because I wanted to see the white boat moving around.  The boat is almost gone at 3 and the picture continues to shrink as the number goes up.

maliko 3-18-12, stabilized @ 2

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 20, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »
Very trippy man...

I think its asking a lot for any image stabilizer program to try to normalize a video where the horizon is swaying back and forth like that. 

This is one area where the headcam excels in comparison to the camera mounted on the boat.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #409 on: March 20, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »
Yes, I agree, the warping images are odd.   You should see them on level 10.

The swaying horizon didn't distract me until you mentioned it.  My focus is on form and the behavior of the swells.  I'm grateful for your input, it led me to the youtube editor.  The editor allows a side by side preview witht the original.  Imo, it's a huge improvement.       

This south shore run was much calmer than a typical maliko run.  I ran it through the youtube editor on +1 for stabilizing.  It was an overcast day.  Brightness and contrast are also set at +1. 

I'm glad to see the rolling of the boat. 

It helps me understand how important anticipating the swell can be.  Relaxed and easy is the key to going fast, but you gotta be going the right direction!   

south shore 3-12-12 stabilized +1

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #410 on: March 20, 2012, 04:48:11 PM »
Holy crap, what a day you had.  Possibly the best conditions I've seen.  Envious I missed that one.  Loved the storm cloud over Kahoolawe and cloud street to Wailea.  Awesome day for you LPB.  Reminds me that the south shore on the right day is a real treat.  What do you mean by exceptional wind?  30-40?  Video always takes a little steam out of the surface (wind) appearance but it was easy to see the grooves in the swell.  IMO I'd leave out the image stabilization.  Maybe I'm used to a rolling horizon but warp is worse to watch.  This one is perfectly set.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #411 on: March 20, 2012, 10:24:38 PM »

/What do you mean by exceptional wind?  30-40?/

Yes, that sounds about right.  Maliko vids get their windspeed from the airport tower.  South shore is a guess.  That was a 9 of 10 day. 

IMO I'd leave out the image stabilization.

Ok.  The originals will go here, both versions will be on youtube. 

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 21, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
Hey L, thanks for putting all the time into the videos and experimenting. Must admit, I'm with Headmount on this one and prefer the unadulterated original. You get such excellent clarity with your camera it seems a shame to lose that, funny I hadn't noticed the horizon moving until it was pointed out! Guess I was focussed on the water state and your paddling too, vicarious Maliko down winding with LPB  :)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 21, 2012, 09:08:14 PM »
I agree that the quality of the video is better without the stabilization. So long as I focus on the boat and not concentrate on the horizon the videos are fine. For whatever reason the other day the see-sawing horizon caught my attention.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #414 on: March 22, 2012, 04:21:39 AM »
I really appreciate the ski banter in this thread. I frequent the surfskiinfo forum as well but the vibe in this thread is more....approachable. The guys over there have been real helpful and have always welcomed me into a thread but they are waaaay more knowledgable about the craft than I am.  LPB, I am sure you have been following the threads by Rob and the others regarding their recent experiences with the V10S and Fenn Swordfish as compared to the elite skis. They seem to be pretty sold on the advantage of the intermediate skis vs. the elite skis in anything other than flat conditions. My personal plan is to move to a lightweight version of an intermediate ski in the next year. My road bike experience tells me that the weight does make a big difference. Not sure how the lighter layups will translate on the ski but I plan to find out. 

I have posted here before that I am a FL boy stuck in TN right now. My work has brought me here and while it is a beautiful place the fact is that I miss the saltwater so much. Part of the allure for me is the unpredictability and changing conditions you encounter in saltwater. The rivers and lakes around TN are pretty but not much challenge.  I hope to use my time here to work on stroke,form and endurance. In fact I plan to enter an 80 mile race on the river being organized in the Knoxville area. LPB, I paddle a V8 and cannot say enough good things about it. And at home in FL I really appreciate the stability especially on those days with a lot of side chop. Anyway, I just really appreciate you guys sustaining this thread and cannot tell you how often I watch your videos to remind me of paddling in saltwater conditions. Although my FL home waters are not as interesting as your Maui waters.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #415 on: March 22, 2012, 01:17:38 PM »

I frequent the surfskiinfo forum/ /The guys over there have been real helpful /

Agree, particularly with safety ideas.  Ski's are bad news when things go wrong.

LPB, I am sure you have been following the threads by Rob and the others regarding their recent experiences with the V10S and Fenn Swordfish as compared to the elite skis. They seem to be pretty sold on the advantage of the intermediate skis vs. the elite skis in anything other than flat conditions.

Yes, it's great to hear them reinforce the idea that technique is so important.    

The more I practice, the more I realize that rotation is everything.  My gps numbers are proving it.  I can't do it on downwinders yet, unless everything is lined up perfect.  Still very hard to get that high horizontal recovery and pause, which is, of course a balance issue.  V10S is almost too much for me at this point.  Still great fun to hack around though. 

My personal plan is to move to a lightweight version of an intermediate ski in the next year.// Not sure how the lighter layups will translate on the ski but I plan to find out.

Light is the way to go.  Resale is better too.  

I wish the think boats were available here.  Those guys are trying harder than epic, IMO.    
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:20:13 PM by LaPerouseBay »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #416 on: March 22, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
So it's spring now, but still seemed like deep winter today.  Big roll out there and a significant groundswell which crossed up the surface quite a bit.  I went with Pono and RainWaves, visiting from Alaska.  RainWaves did increasingly better as the run went on and finished like a champ.  He picked quite a day for his first Maliko run and was able to snag some great glides.  I was stoked not to get my ass kicked like I did last week.  No broken cords today and it was within the range of possibilities if you made a mistake.  We had one feather right under us.  RainWaves remarked that it seemed large and I told him to keep paddling, we can discuss that stuff when we're on the beach.  I'm sure he's enjoying a beer right about now.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #417 on: March 22, 2012, 09:41:24 PM »
So it's spring now, but still seemed like deep winter today.  Big roll out there and a significant groundswell/
/We had one feather right under us.  RainWaves remarked that it seemed large and I told him to keep paddling, we can discuss that stuff when we're on the beach.
Sage advice.  Those were some big swells today. 

Some fast ski guys told me to stay outside.  As predicted, pier one was stacking up real high.  I was glad to be on the outside line coming in.  It was fast, fun and safe. 

They passed me about 4 miles into the run.  They were inside of me at that point and later said I was smart to be way out.  They had a few feather under them.   

Today was the first time I gps'ed maliko on a ski.  The temptation to start pushing the conditions is growing.  Gps will only make it worse.  Ski's can motor on those big swells.  Super fun, but too far in is hazardous.   

The yellow line is a potential swim, 2.25 miles.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 22, 2012, 10:06:54 PM »
Funny angle to the waves today, made them especially tricky, but good for glides. I thought we were out plenty far at Camp One and Kanaha but I had one nearly get me at the east end of Kanaha reef and one even closer when I thought we were out of the danger zone and starting to turn in (we came in at the oil tanks). Then I decided I wanted to surf through lower Kanaha so I angled while Bill and Pete went for the Triangle Channel. Didn't work very well, my board was rounding up with a sticky rudder. Got punted, but not a big deal.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #419 on: March 22, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »
 That's pretty far out, literally and figuratively and you know there were moments where I wished I was that far out today.  And folks, LPB's yellow line is probably pretty accurate for a potential swim.  I was just mentioning to LPB the other day that swim googles and at least one swim fin is a good idea.  I've got to get that together.  Know I could do the distance but it'd be a whole lot easier with goggles and a fin.  Not that much weight penalty for a ton of security.  Plus you'd have to have your eyes not cooked from salt water to look up once in awhile to make sure a wndsrfr or ktbrdr isn't about to run you over.

Fun huh?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal