Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403288 times)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #300 on: December 07, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »
The extra paddling you installed in the bucket (thus keeping you somewhat snug) is key for being able to roll the boat onto its sides.

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 07, 2011, 05:23:45 PM »
"Sundays are a social-demo day for epic skis."

You guys on Maui are so lucky, you have a local surf ski manufacturer that does socials and demos....I wish we had a manufacturer based here in Charleston, SC that would do that..maybe even show up at local races, demo boats, build the sport...oh, never mind.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: December 08, 2011, 05:03:47 AM »
Yes, it's great here.  It's ironic that Epic has a manufacturing facility in South Carolina.  Oahu has more ski's than Maui.  Richard may scale back on our demo days so he can get more miles in.  Racing season starts next month.  

Late evening runs are good all year on the south shore.  The wind was good at the beginning of this one, launched from Kehei CC.  Skirted the reef at low tide and finished at the cove.  Super fun in a ski.  

south shore 12-7-11

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:19:00 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 11, 2011, 11:25:16 PM »
Great video L, you are definitely improving. I did a downwind run last Friday and caught a heap of little glides, then paddled back up wind for about 5 miles into 20 knots. Funny, hadn't fallen in once until about 1/2 a mile from the end then fell out about 4 times in a row, tiredness caught up I guess. I'm still doing this awkward nipple drag then leg straddle thing to get back in the boat, really need to practice the flip around drop the bum into the boat thing I've seen on videos. You made a comment about taking your time before trying a Maliko, sounds very wise to me, I can imagine really having trouble getting back into the boat on a big day and getting more and more tired with every tumble.

Really looking forward to a south shore run in a ski next year, love the water colour in your vids. You are looking strong out there.

How is the padding system working out, I have this 'system' I've been using where I shove a strip of foam down each side of my neoprene shorts...not very flattering on the beach! But I just realised that the higher padding you have would probably work much better in terms of the boat reacting to your hip movement.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #304 on: December 12, 2011, 05:11:20 AM »
Thanks JC, the ski is great fun for me.

The side saddle entry seems easier to me.  I prefer entering from the right.  If I fall on the left, I duck under and roll the boat to get the leash on my side.

I'm very happy with the padding up high in the bucket.  Zsolt recommended the calf padding.  It keeps my knees close, which is good for leg drive.  It's good to have immediate feedback. 

Sunday's run was very windy, and offshore.  Very challenging to work in to Sorento's from the boardwalk.  I'm gradually pushing my limits on the south shore.  Still a long, long way to go before a maliko.

south shore 12-11-11

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 12, 2011, 07:44:09 AM »
Had a nice solo run yesterday. We went over to Wailea to have lunch with some friends, and I took along my old Starboard 12'6" in case there was a opportunity to get in the water. Sure enough, around 3:00 when we were leaving I could see palm trees bending. So Diane dropped me off at the Canoe Hale where the wind was pretty much straight offshore, but I could see some angle further east in the way the palms were blowing. She planned to meet me at the Cove.

Turned out to be a very fun run, pretty much in a swell all the time. Easy to turn at the bottom of the swells with a big ol' surfboard. Made it to the Cove pretty quick--shoulda done Sorrentos. Went to Mala at the Marriot with Diane and had light pupus for dinner, wtched the sun go down. Pretty nice day.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #306 on: December 12, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »
/ Funny, hadn't fallen in once until about 1/2 a mile from the end then fell out about 4 times in a row, tiredness caught up I guess. / You made a comment about taking your time before trying a Maliko, sounds very wise to me, I can imagine really having trouble getting back into the boat on a big day and getting more and more tired with every tumble. /

One of the best things about the ski is extra safety awareness.  I too got tired, fell and struggled remounting Sunday.  It's a good lesson for me.  Paddling hard enough to make the glides yet easy enough to have a reserve is a fine line.  I crossed over it and took some gas.  Fell over after remounting, lost grip of the paddle twice.  Had to rest up to get back in.  The north shore isn't the place to learn these lessons.  Ski's are bad news when things go wrong.  IMO, that's why outriggers outnumber ski's 100 to 1 in Hawaii.     

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #307 on: December 12, 2011, 09:00:27 AM »
Fun times in the harbor this morning.  Sundays are a social-demo day for epic skis.  Wind was very light so I paddled out a few hundred yards past the entrance.  The north shore always has some swells if the wind is east.  The rides in are thrilling in a ski. 

harbor 12-4-11
Ill say it again-i lurk a lot on your guys wave ski thread and am so freakin jealous-great vid LaP!
years ago i bought an Macski Animal-didnt know at the time it was a high performance trick ski-not a cruiser ski (duh!) my lumbars didnt like it and man was it tough to keep upright-i saw some guys supping and have never looked back-there are some really good guys down here at Dpatch who come out and cruise the high tide rollers-looks so fun-maybe someday i will pick one up.
im a bit of a sup surf addict but would like to just paddle out sometimes and cruise.
Only real thing stopping me is my back.
Paddle on you lucky SOB's! ;)
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 12, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »

One of the best things about the ski is extra safety awareness.  I too got tired, fell and struggled remounting Sunday.  It's a good lesson for me.  Paddling hard enough to make the glides yet easy enough to have a reserve is a fine line.  I crossed over it and took some gas.  Fell over after remounting, lost grip of the paddle twice.  Had to rest up to get back in.  The north shore isn't the place to learn these lessons.  Ski's are bad news when things go wrong.  IMO, that's why outriggers outnumber ski's 100 to 1 in Hawaii.     

Hey L, what do you do regarding leashes in the ski, recently I have been using a leash to connect the paddle to the boat, relying on the fact that I will be able to keep a grip on the paddle. Don't know if I'd feel comfortable doing that in big seas though.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 12, 2011, 04:31:44 PM »

Hey L, what do you do regarding leashes in the ski, recently I have been using a leash to connect the paddle to the boat, relying on the fact that I will be able to keep a grip on the paddle. Don't know if I'd feel comfortable doing that in big seas though.
I thought the OC-1s outnumbered the skis in Hawaii because of the cultural familiarity with paddling outrigger canoes, coupled with the fact that skis have a much more difficult learning curve than OC-1.  But what the heck to do I know?

I leash my boat to my leg.  When I go over in bigger conditions often the boat rolls over the leash and I have to roll the boat back in order to get the leash free.  And yes I have remounted and then noticed the leash going under the boat and back up the other side, requiring me to undo the leash, pull it around and put it back on my ankle.  I would be quite leery of leashing the boat to the paddle, and not a body part, in bigger seas.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #310 on: December 12, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »
I too use a leg leash.  It's an epic, very stout and short.  It's attached to the frame of the pedals, up over the front bungee.  The front bungee keeps it high, over the pedals.  It has a caribiner at the calf strap.  I don't think it's long enough to wrap around the bottom of the boat.  

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:17:44 PM by LaPerouseBay »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #311 on: December 19, 2011, 12:51:01 AM »
More fun stuff on the south shore Sunday evening.  Wind was medium speed, good direction.  Tebow is looking better, but not ready for my Patriots yet.   :)

south shore 12-18-11

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #312 on: December 24, 2011, 01:53:55 AM »
Wind was very good Friday evening on the south shore.  Great fun after work.  No spin outs today, really enjoying the ski.  The oc-1 and standup still get out once a week, but the ski gets the most use recently.  MCKC races are right around the corner.

years ago i bought an Macski Animal-didnt know at the time it was a high performance trick ski/
/ maybe someday i will pick one up.
im a bit of a sup surf addict but would like to just paddle out sometimes and cruise.
Only real thing stopping me is my back.
/
Get a ski.  Trust me, you won't regret it.  They are tremendous exercise for the back. Oc-1's are good too, but ski's are truly in a league of their own.  My back has never felt better.  If you can do standup, you can do ski.  You just have to build up slowly.  Everyone feels it initially in a ski.  It's the same feeling we all had when starting standup - new muscles.   

south shore 12-23-11
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:29:38 AM by LaPerouseBay »

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 24, 2011, 03:40:59 PM »
Hi LPB love that crazy left right left paddle brace sequence right near the end, can really relate to that! Put a bit of padding under my bum yesterday because I've been getting a little nerve twitch on one side, but at the same time left out my hip padding, couldn't believe how much less stable it felt! Comfy though...
Found a group of local guys to paddle the ski with, mix of newbies and some very experienced...this is going to be fun!

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #314 on: December 29, 2011, 12:56:20 AM »
Fun run this afternoon.  Wind was medium, then light towards the end.  Direction was very good.  Ski is getting more fun as my ability to anticipate and deal with spin outs improves.  Nothing beats time on the water.

south shore 12-28-11
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 12:59:37 AM by LaPerouseBay »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal