Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403323 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »
/ looking forward to hearing that you have done your first Maliko run :)
The wind was cranking today.  It was so strong I had my doubts about launching, but threw caution to the wind.

Very fun run.  It's good to know the bigger swells won't kill me.

Average speed needs to increase another 1.5 mph to equal my best oc-1 times.  That's a good benchmark before heading over to the north shore. 

Support your local shaper

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 21, 2011, 08:49:23 AM »
I should be on flat water - with a coach yelling at me.    But downwind is all I have in the afternoons.
LaPer, I feel so bad for you.... No flat water, so you have to settle for downwinds..really just breaks my heart, as I sit here on the Atlantic Coast hoping for anything that even tastes like a downwinder.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2011, 09:15:32 AM »
Agreed.  The wind is my friend and I'm very fortunate to have it.

Time to order a camera.  Some video of myself will help.  Zsolt's clinic is in 3 weeks. 

My goal is to be ready for maliko when the Z-man is here.  Daily runs are the ticket.  If I'm ready, fine - if not - it won't be for lack of effort.     

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 21, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Once you are able to brace on both sides effectively, it will be easier than you think.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: October 26, 2011, 09:37:20 AM »
That's good to hear.  

Sunday morning a group of ski's practiced in the Kahului harbor.  The wind was light yet the swells were beginning to build outside the entrance.  The plan was to go upwind for a few miles then turn and downwind the last section of a maliko run.  I stuck with them for a few hundred yards, then turned back.  It's a whole 'nother ball game out on the north shore.  It was within my ability, but I didn't want to push too fast too soon.  It was fun to feel the bigger swells.      

I'm sticking to my plan of setting a good foundation on the south shore.  The leg drive is beginning to feel natural.  It's amazing how much stability the leg drive adds.  

Average speed on light bumps and flat water has surpassed oc-1 times.  Now I need some stronger winds to knock me around a bit.  

As for brain damaging oc's, I've decided to resist the urge.  It's just not fair.   :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:41:53 AM by LaPerouseBay »

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 26, 2011, 01:29:58 PM »
As for brain damaging oc's, I've decided to resist the urge.  It's just not fair.   :)
There was this one time a number of very good female OC-1 paddlers got in the water to start a run just before I did.  One of them had a sticker on her boat that said "You Paddle Like A Boi." 

I of course needed to set the record straight in the ocean without saying a word.  Surfed right by her like she was standing still.  My justification was that she was asking for it with a message like that.  OK maybe I deserved a 15 yard penalty for taunting but it was worth it...

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: October 27, 2011, 10:08:04 PM »
The best part of the ski for me is the way you can drive your cardio without tearing up a shoulder, or an elbow, or a lumbar.  The trick of course is to try and use good form.  As a beginner - mine stinks - but it still doesn't tear me up.    

It reminds me of swimming.  No other sport drives my lactate levels so high yet does so little damage to my connective tissue.  

The past week has been very intense one and two a day sessions, yet I'm not sore anywhere.  That was not the case with oc-1.  A max effort canoe paddle invariably left a tight spot somewhere.  At 50 years old, I've had enough of pain.

Tonights run was spectacularly fun.  Good solid connections in 5 of 10 south shore conditions.  Average speed is coming up quickly.  

The NE wind should hold through the weekend.  That spells south shore.  I'm ready to rock with my oc-1 pals.  Very pleased that it's all coming along so smoothly.  

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:17:59 PM by LaPerouseBay »

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 27, 2011, 11:26:18 PM »
Mercifully easier on the shoulders, but gave me a bit of wrist pain (especially left wrist) in the beginning.  I think for the same reasons canoe paddling hurts - gripping the blade too tightly and trying to "pull" water with lower hand rather than twisting and pushing forward with the upper hand.

I had the ski out on a windless yet painful Hanauma Bay run last weekend.  It was bumpy as heck with no push at all.  My balance was sorely tested.  I've put the side pads in the V10 to see if that helps with getting the balance back.

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: October 28, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »
Since we have turned this into a ski thread I was curious if any of you guys are paddling a Stellar ski?  Was in a race with some guys last weekend paddling Stellars and they looked....well....Stellar. Of course it didn't hurt that Olympic paddler Reid Hyle was paddling one of them.

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 28, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »
Darn, LaPer, only downwinders, and you have enough time to get in two sessions a day?  You're going to make me hate you.  I'm lucky to get in two sessions a a week.

I've had wrist issues and issues with my upper back.  The wrist problems stemmed from a grip that was too wide, and put my wrists at an odd angle. The upper back problem is from being an old, fat weakling.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 28, 2011, 04:44:02 PM »
Never seen a Stellar ski in person but Oahu is not a ski mecca by any means.  They look like pretty nice boats.

Is it just me, or does it seem that ski evolution has almost bottlenecked? It appears to me that the basic shapes and outlines of most racing skis look very similar. 

Tec, I share your pain.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: October 28, 2011, 11:08:01 PM »

Darn, LaPer, only downwinders, and you have enough time to get in two sessions a day?

Early paddles are flat.  Missing a day equals stiff and cranky the next.  It's a millstone around my neck.   :)

Check out the padding I use in my bucket.  The sides are an inch and a half.  Just enough to barely compress when I slide in.

The sides will be new and improved tomorrow.  This is the prototype and it's getting weak.  Today's run was the first with a seat pad.   3/8" adds comfort without losing much stability.   

Set a new personal record today, boardwalk to the cove.  Pushing new angles across bigger and bigger wave faces is intense.  Had my first truly effective brace across a fast wave today.  Super fun.  The speed potential on skis is outrageous.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 29, 2011, 12:11:50 AM »
Thanks for the padding photos LPB, looking forward to more showing the new upgraded version.

Wondering how the seat pad affects the hip rotation, I wear neoprene shorts and thought they might grab on the seat padding when you get some hip rotation going. Of course all this is theoretical from my perspective, my heel pushing and knee bending is pretty tentative at the moment...

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: October 29, 2011, 08:01:30 AM »
The forum over at surfskinfo.com has a thread about shorts.  Someone makes shorts with two layers of fabric that slip.  Neoprene seems too sticky to me, so I tried two pairs of old cycling bibs (without padding).  Slides great, and they are more discreet.  Soaking wet neoprene leaves little to the imagination, if you know what I mean.   

Surf shorts probably work ok in a ski, but parachute if they catch water.  Much harder to swim in too.  I tried them once in my oc-1, never again.  Twisted knickers are very distracting.

Here are some pics sent to me by the epic rep here on Maui.  His brother in Australia pads his v-12 like this.  That black part looks like neoprene with lycra bonded to it.  Probably very slippery.  I'll ask Richard about it Sunday. 

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 29, 2011, 11:27:25 AM »
Impressive work LPB. I take it you are not a very chunky guy to use that much side padding, or the bucket of the V10S is bigger than I remembered.

I would wear the neoprene shorts under a pair of looser surf shorts (with no butt pad in the boat) to give a touch of padding to the rear and some dignity at kaimana beach at the end of the run. Ski paddling never rubbed me as raw on the backside as OC-1 or six man.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal