Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 404523 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2011, 06:05:09 AM »
Hi JC, glad to hear you have a ski.  IMO they are better than canoes for SUP cross training.

If I recall correctly, Mike got his first ski on Oahu and paddled without coaching for over a year.  His technique was less than ideal and his shoulders took a beating.  He was off the water for almost a year because of the pain.  He got some coaching in North Carolina and his performance went through the roof.  The exact dates are a bit fuzzy, but the bottom line is that he really knows his stuff now.  His advice to me has been invaluable.  

As you know, ski's are challenging to balance.  I'm still very tentative and wobbly - doing my best to stay upright.  Coaches will let you know where your hands should be.  We may not be able to do it, but the knowledge of what to work toward is very comforting.  

Mike wants me to sit tall, blade fully planted, think about my top hand following the horizon at eye level and ROTATE.  With so much going on, I can barely do it.  But when the stars align and I get it right, the boat rockets forward.  The mechanical link through the core and that crazy wing paddle combine in a profound way.  The best part is that it's almost effortless.  That's why the fast guys look so relaxed.

I'm amazed at how differently I feel about the ski after my first run.  A few days ago I looked at the boat and thought, 'I hate that boat, it sucks'.  Lucky for me I had coaching early.  I knew it would all click someday.  Now I'm dying to get out there again.  

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:15:06 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2011, 12:08:51 PM »

I remember that thread last fall, that coach had some great advice. 

And here it is.

The surfski is exponentially harder to learn than an OC-1 which is why so many people opt for the outrigger (of course an elite OC-1 paddler flies the ama continuously which is even harder than a ski).  That said anybody that can balance well on a SUP in waves/rough water should be able to paddle at least a novice ski pretty quickly.

I believe (and my personal experience has shown) that surfski as a cross training tool is BETTER than OC-1 at least for those who compete at a high level in OC-6.   The biggest reason is that the ski teaches one how to get a big shoulder turn (twist) while staying balanced... that is not true in an OC-1... and it translates to a super well balanced OC-6.  If you think flying the ama on an OC-1 is hard, try it in an OC-6 with 5 other guys all of whom are moving.  The OC-1 allows one to cheat on the ama which allows a lunging style stroke that will never be good. 

Getting that well balanced shoulder turn and conjunction w/ the great tempo that comes from a two sided paddle is a great asset to SUP paddlers who do not have a background in other (unstable) paddlecraft.

Lastly, if you learn to paddle a ski well you will not believe how many open water swells you can catch.  In a recent Molokai crossing the King of Surfski (Oscar Chulupsky) AVERAGED 13mph for over 30 miles!!! Nobody will ever come close to that on an OC-1 or SUP.

...Roger

As I was returning to get my truck at the boardwalk yesterday, I met two long time ski racers, also finishing a run in their v-10's.  You can bet I'll be asking them for info at every opportunity.  Richard is the epic ski rep here on Maui, he helped me locate my used v-10 S.  My first downwinder gave me a good buzz.  It was great to be able to thank him for the advice so soon after the run.   

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »
Thanks L, sitting here at the breakfast table going through the paddling action, lucky no on else is up! Top hand following the horizon, that is such a simple, easy to remember great tip - suddenly the 45 degree stroke makes sense.
Mahalo

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Cool.  I was hoping someone would refresh this post soon.  JC, thanks for dredging up Roger's old post.  His posts are totally responsible for my ski purchase over the OC.  As I was paddling mine today in a light upwind condition today I was marveling at how smooth it is.  Especially compared to the heavy upwind strokes on the board yesterday using the 9 1/4" Spanker.  Very interested in the conversation regarding correct form and what can happen to the shoulders if using incorrect form.  I am beginning to get a little _tweaky_ in my shoulders after long ski paddles and I know it must be from poor form.  Gotta find someone local to give me some pointers.  The thought of having to take a year off would really blow. 

When I was out yesterday on the board the weather conditions setup such that a strong NW wind was in concert with the wave action.  That coupled with a super low tide created a swell that we don't see often here on the west coast of FL.  Caught a few on the board but got nervous as I didn't take my leash.  As it got rougher I could just see the possibility of my board taking off and me left to swim in.  But in my mind I wished I had been on the ski as I was watching a group of sea kayakers have their way with the swell.

Really got to work on hooking up with a coach.  LPB, I am so glad this is coming together for you.  I guess the bracing comes pretty normal for you with your OC experience, huh?

We may have to talk Randy into letting us start a surfski section on the boards to share all the chat this winter.  Love reading these posts.   

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 02, 2011, 03:53:56 PM »
Had a great ski session yesterday on a large flat water inlet and was lucky enough to see another ski out there, paddled over and said hi. We paddled together and I let my new friend go ahead as he was far more experienced. Well I watched his stroke and tried to incorporate what I was seeing and L's top hand across the horizon tip....had a little epiphany and it all started to feel much smoother and more efficient.

After a few k we met up again and I had a little stroke coaching, Geoff said my plant and stroke weren't too bad but my blade release was a bit clunky. He suggested I keep my elbow a little higher, tried that but couldn't quite get it right. But what a breakthrough day, wind was about 15 knots and there was certainly some chop, didn't fall in once even managed a run across the chop for about a kilometer, turned and certainly got some little pushes.

Interesting today I can feel some lower back stiffness, the top of my deltoids and the inside of my thighs and last night I was completely stuffed - must have been some pretty intense concentration going on! Was only paddling for about an hour and a half but that was my longest ski paddle by far. Loving the challenge.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »
Thanks L, sitting here at the breakfast table going through the paddling action, lucky no on else is up! Top hand following the horizon, that is such a simple, easy to remember great tip - suddenly the 45 degree stroke makes sense.
Mahalo

You ought to see me when I'm practicing cross-stepping. I do it everywhere. Makes Diane nutty.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2011, 03:59:16 PM »
Bill just had a nutty image of you late one evening being asked to walk a straight line by the Highway Patrol, you get into the cross stepping crouch and let rip.....straight to jail do not collect $200

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2011, 04:06:54 PM »
I've never been asked to walk a line, but was asked to say the alphabet backwards, which I've been able to do since I was a kid. Blasted it out, cop was stunned, let me go. They expect you to say "I can't do that when I'm sober" which is an admission of guilt.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 02, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
I've never been asked to walk a line, but was asked to say the alphabet backwards, which I've been able to do since I was a kid. Blasted it out, cop was stunned, let me go. They expect you to say "I can't do that when I'm sober" which is an admission of guilt.
After you blast out the alphabet backwards and they let you go, that's about the time you hope your wise-ass friends in the car don't say, "That was nothing.  You should see how fast he can do it when he's sober".

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: October 02, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »
I am beginning to get a little _tweaky_ in my shoulders after long ski paddles/
Really got to work on hooking up with a coach.  / I guess the bracing comes pretty normal for you with your OC experience, huh?

Mike told me early on that an improper stroke will 'destroy' shoulders.  He's not prone to exageration.

Oc-1 experience is a big help when downwinding in a ski.  I didn't have to brace much on my first run because I always had a safe line planned out.  It's critical in canoes.

We may have to talk Randy into letting us start a surfski section on the boards to share/  

The admins see all and know all.  No need for another sub-forum, imo.       

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 03, 2011, 04:30:29 AM »
I'm enjoying the ski posts too.  I dropped my ski for about a year, and only paddled SUP, because we had a local SUP race series.  A ski buddy of mine kept pulling me back into paddling my ski.  Now we have a small group of ski paddlers that are really into racing. I just got skis, OC-1s and prones added to the SUP races.  we had the first combined race, last week.  The Surfski paddlers were grateful to be included, and the SUP racers were happy to have something out front to chase, that they didn't have to worry about beating.

Making the races multi sport races really added a dimension of fun. Now I paddle both about the same amount.  Wind?...take the ski. Glassy?...take the board. Paddling with the fastest board paddlers? ...take the ski, and pace them, and make 'em work, ( while I chat away).

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 03, 2011, 11:59:44 AM »
One of the reasons I went to ski was the representation by my buddy that ski paddling was kinder on the shoulders than OC-1.  Not that he's a doctor or anything.  But what I noticed was that my wrists would ache (undoubtedly due to technique - pulling with the arms rather than the body, etc.).  So I got some of those wrist straps and that helped because having the extra material covering my wrists reminded me not to let my wrists break during the stroke.

This thread got me stoked on the ski again.  I took my ski out yesterday and paddled out around Portlock and a short distance up the wall.  Typical viciously confused seas.  Since I'm out of ski practice it was quite challenging, but good practice.  Then I turned around and caught some bumps and remembered "this is why I enjoy this..."  My left wrist is a little sore but no biggie, gotta put the straps back on I guess.

SUP NINJA

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 03, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Dam it you guys now you have me itching for a Ski again. ;D I have a few things I am trying to accomplish with Body composition. When that goal is successfully met I will tackle this next journey. Paddleon brothers.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: October 03, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
I'm in the honeymoon stage of ski right now.  Each day is easier, more fun.  Amazing to think that one day I'll have it going in big swells.  Caught a few tiny swells in the harbor this morning and I was so stoked.  Hugely rewarding.   

The key for me now is to never break form.  Balance first, then power, then speed.

Mike was too busy to coach me this weekend, but I'm hoping we can get together next weekend.   

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: October 05, 2011, 11:29:49 PM »
Speaking of coaching, Zsolt Szadovszki is giving a clinic on Maui Nov 12th.  I just signed up.  12 people in the class, $50.  Technique in part one, including video, then open ocean coaching in part 2.  He won the Maui Molokai this year in 2:46. 

He has a coaching business on Oahu.  He's from Hungary, with a background in K1.  He switched to ski when he moved to the U.S.   

Check out this video. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal