Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403332 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2011, 08:10:36 AM »
Fabulous looking blade. It's a wood version of the new blade we're building. I don't think this guy had all our geek trickery to design that, wonder how he came up with it. The only difference visually is no dihedral and therefore no concave along the dihedral. Other than that it's remarkably similar. I'd love to instrument that and see what it does. I bet it has no flutter and catches like crazy.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:14:28 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2011, 09:12:48 AM »
I was admiring the top pic of the handle and then it turned into ET

That's so funny, I saw the same thing then read your comment.
ET lives!

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2011, 11:18:24 PM »
Fabulous looking blade. It's a wood version of the new blade we're building. I don't think this guy had all our geek trickery to design that, wonder how he came up with it.

Mike Owens builds them.  He was Owens Ocean Sports in NC, now he and Jeremy do Aircore Maui.  The name Schmidt is inked in the handle of the paddle.  Holm Schmidt is a renowned K-1, surfski and canoe coach back east.  He was in the 88 games.  He received his training (kayak and coaches) at the former East German system of Olympic sports colleges.  He's been coaching U.S. olympians for a couple of decades.  Holm helped design the paddle.   

The only difference visually is no dihedral and therefore no concave along the dihedral. Other than that it's remarkably similar. I'd love to instrument that and see what it does. I bet it has no flutter and catches like crazy.

Yes, it works really well, no flutter, nice flex.  It's a grappling hook upwind.  The spoon back is extremely quiet when trimming the ama.   
Support your local shaper

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2011, 07:20:18 PM »
Headmount: 

You are a very lucky guy to have one of Mike Owen's paddles.  They are freaking amazing, and I swear Mike embues them with a soul of their own.  I've paddled his SUP paddle, and it was incredibly smooth, (wasted on me).  They are art; functional paddle art.

Mike's OC-1s are special.  He has the mould on Maui, he should build some OC-1s.  There are ba few in Charleston, but no one will sell.

Of course from reading your posts aboiut Maliko, we already know you are a lucky guy. 

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2011, 12:13:21 PM »
OPPS, sorry, LaPerouse Bay is the lucky one....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2011, 12:54:46 PM »
Fabulous looking blade. It's a wood version of the new blade we're building. I don't think this guy had all our geek trickery to design that, wonder how he came up with it.

Mike Owens builds them.  He was Owens Ocean Sports in NC, now he and Jeremy do Aircore Maui.  The name Schmidt is inked in the handle of the paddle.  Holm Schmidt is a renowned K-1, surfski and canoe coach back east.  He was in the 88 games.  He received his training (kayak and coaches) at the former East German system of Olympic sports colleges.  He's been coaching U.S. olympians for a couple of decades.  Holm helped design the paddle.   

The only difference visually is no dihedral and therefore no concave along the dihedral. Other than that it's remarkably similar. I'd love to instrument that and see what it does. I bet it has no flutter and catches like crazy.

Yes, it works really well, no flutter, nice flex.  It's a grappling hook upwind.  The spoon back is extremely quiet when trimming the ama.   

Spoon backs actually create lift. Probably adds 3 to 5 percent to the catch.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2011, 05:56:35 AM »
OPPS, sorry, LaPerouse Bay is the lucky one....

I agree, Mike is quite a talent.  I'll try to get a picture of one of his seamless all carbon paddles.     

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2011, 07:54:54 AM »
I'd love to see that new paddle. He was building the plug for the SUP paddle mould last time I was in his shop.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2011, 12:00:54 AM »
Well we finally had a good wind event for today ... maybe tomorrow for this north side and then it lightens up again until the end of summer on the 21st.  Mostly 030 to 050 this late summer and the southside has been the call... until today.  Today really cranked, no swell, perfect.  Took a guy from Santa Barbara and he was jazzed... didn't know he had lucked out big time. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2011, 12:50:38 AM »
Saturday was really good too HM.  I bought a used surfski in the morning and did an oc-1 run at 2.

Glad you had time to get out today.  Paddled about 30 minutes in my new toy. 

It was my first time in a racing kayak.  I was very fortunate to have Mike to talk me through it.  He took some pics for me to help save the memory. 

As I walk in I think to myself, 'this won't be too bad - I was flying the hell out of the ama yesterday at maliko.'

What the, this little bastard is TIPPY.

Where the hell is my ama?   :)

Mike suggested paddling with my legs in the water.  Sage advice. 

Still not that easy, but getting better.

Repeat this about 10 times.

Remounting is not easy, fell back in about half the time. 

Finally got the feet in.  Full concentration to keep from swimming.  Much faster than an oc-1 in flat water.  Super fun.  Mike says it gets easier very quickly.  Jeremy says he wants to try it.  I hope my skills get better fast.  I want to watch Jeremy and heckle him as he falls in.  IF he falls in.   :)

The ski was much more difficult to balance than my first time in oc-1.  Reminded me of early days of standup.  It's going to take a lot of practice on flat water before downwinding.  Everyone says ski's fly in the swells.  Very interesting boats.  Much faster than I thought it would be.  Hard to balance, but the potential for speed is obvious.  The wing blade is scary powerful.   

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »
Cool for you that you are getting on the ski.  They are a blast.  And I hear you regarding the wing paddle.  I paddled a 25 miler on Saturday and while I was out in the middle of nowhere with no one in sight I began focusing on the wing while it was in the water.  Started thinking about Pono Bill's recent video posts showing the turbulence off the face of the SUP paddle and realizing that the water off the face of the wing was smooth and clear.  Imagine having a wing SUP paddle.  Have a ball on the ski.  To me there is no finer way to work on that upper body rotation that is a real asset on the SUP. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2011, 12:11:15 PM »
I wouldn't be placing any bets on Jeremy falling. Remember the first time he got on the Penetrator? He looked like he was standing on a Starboard Whopper instead of a board with a 22" waterline. I thought I was going to drown myself before I got used to balancing that board.

You're always a step ahead of me Larry. I've been eying surfskis. It's my masochistic reflex kicking in.

Eric--wing paddles are an inspiration. Hard to do exactly what they do with the substantially different stroke angle of a SUP or Canoe paddle, but we're headed in that direction. When a blade has good lift the water behind the paddle becomes an even more important element of the catch. We might even be able to make a somewhat improved OC paddle.

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
LaPerouse:

Enjoy that V10Sport.  I've been paddling that ski for 4 years, and I doubt I'll ever buy another ski.  I love that thing.  I have the Value layup, and I might upgrade to the performance layup, like yours, but I doubt I'll change skis.

The V10S is supposed to be a beginner ski.  There's  group of us that have decided that, being mere mortals, we like a little extra stability when the ocean gets rough, as it allows us to continue to lay down power, rather than brace every other stroke. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2011, 01:10:02 AM »
Yes, the ski's are amazing.  I've barely been able to put together two good strokes so far, but when I do, the boat launches like a rocket.  Much faster than an oc-1. 

Did another short session after work yesterday.  I anticipated my canoe paddling would be a great prepration for the ski, but they are very different.  Some instinctive moves in a canoe don't translate well on the ski.  Leaning back is first on my list of things to adjust. 

I'm anxious to learn everything about the ski as quickly as possible.  My body is already telling me to be cautious. 

To me there is no finer way to work on that upper body rotation that is a real asset on the SUP. 

I agree.  A canoe stroke is more similar to SUP, but the rotation and balance required trump that - by a long way.  My core is feeling it after just a few short sessions.

/ I might upgrade to the performance layup, like yours,/

The V10S is supposed to be a beginner ski./ 

Mine is actually the ultra layup, honeycomb nomex and kevlar.  Feels solid.  The pedal system is brilliant.

Beginner ski?  Guess that makes me a beginner.  The guy I bought it from felt it was too tippy, so he's getting a V-8. 

Here are the traditional pics at Makena landing.

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: September 21, 2011, 05:02:09 AM »

Beginner ski?  Guess that makes me a beginner.  The guy I bought it from felt it was too tippy, so he's getting a V-8. 

The Epic V8 is what I paddle as well.  I initially planned to buy a V10S like yours but found the right opportunity on the new V8.  You must be a notch or two above my experience though considering your OC experience.  I am certainly more comfortable in the ski now than I was in the beginning.

I started thinking about an OC last fall and while posting about it here a fellow Zoner encouraged me to look at the ski instead.  His experience was the same as your comment about the OC stroke and the SUP stroke being very similar.  He said that in his coaching experience the ski stroke was more beneficial and helpful on the SUP.  I cannot speak to the OC stroke but I know that the more I paddle my ski the more comfortable I am on my board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal