Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403311 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2011, 08:59:12 AM »
La Per... did you take that pic of the malolo?  I'd kill to get a pic like that but usually you have to be moving to flush them and if you're moving you usually don't have the camera in hand.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2011, 10:57:48 AM »
Pic is from google images.  Want time for pics on a glide?  Get an oc-1.  It's just not fair I tell ya.   :)  Wind was blasting thru makena yesterday.  Woo Hoo! 

Hit in the shoulder- lucky it wasn't your head. People have gone blind from flying fish injuries. One of the hazards of paddling in paradise.

It happened so fast I didn't have time to flinch.  Sunglasses - don't leave shore without them.
Support your local shaper

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2011, 10:03:49 PM »
race season is over but Maliko continues to blaze.  Today was off the charts... again

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 04, 2011, 02:57:25 PM »
They're forecasting 21 MPH in the gorge today, but my damp rashguard just blew off my board and up onto the garage roof.  Bump and Glide race tonight, should be a good'un. Knee is doing well, grandsons gone back to Michigan. Let the training begin.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: August 04, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
Yeah I think you need more than 21 mph to lift a damp rashguard up into the air.  Sounds like what we had today... 25 to 40, absolutely incredible.   Italy defaults, US stock market is hammered and I'm riding wind swells down the coast.... strangely... no guilt

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2011, 11:25:08 PM »
Smoking maliko today, 28-38 at the airport.  Perfect wind direction was shoving us in the back.  No sprinting, correction strokes were enough.  Fun day.  F-16 eats crazy steep drops for breakfast.  Thanks MR.   

Nice tight lines on the map.  Should be blasting again tomorrow.  Looks like it may have enough NE for the south shore to go ballistic.  

State regatta is on Maui tomorrow, in Lahaina.  LPB's south shore shuttle may be on the road with standups.  Woo Hoo!  These guys have taught me a lot.  

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:38:47 PM by LaPerouseBay »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2011, 11:49:45 AM »
Took my friend's everytrail yesterday and registered a 17mph glide.  Don't know how accurate those things are but it wasn't a spike but a rounded hump that sustained 9 for quite awhile off same glide.  Outside Sprecks.  Going into the harbor entrance it registered a 12 and then to the boat ramp I had a steady 8, which is a great way to finish.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2011, 10:06:26 PM »
Another magnificent maliko today.  A fellow zoner and I (forgot his forum name) were close from upper kanaha to the finish.  I was hoping to go easy, but the competitor in me is difficult to restrain.  Wind was ok, fun glides. 

The best part of the run was loaning my oc-1 to Mike Owens, of Aircore Maui.  He's very experienced in ski's and oc-1's.  He's even got a mold for an oc-1, but no boat.  He was ecstatic to get out and paddle.  He posted a very good elapsed time.  Not bad for his first oc-1 paddle in at least 6 months.

My endless summer of downwinding is winding down.  I got called back to work starting Teusday.  Today was 47 downwinders in a row.  Whew.  I'm glad I used my time off wisely.   :) 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2011, 10:11:01 PM »
A small crew of us are doing some finish carpentry in a gated community.  We don't make much noise, but today was a state holiday - statehood day.  The snooty neighbors threw us out of their hood, because they could.  I was ok with it, but some of the guys could have used the day's pay.  Rich people can be so odd.  You would think they might have a shred of compassion in this tough economy.  Oh well, that's life.

The shuttle was almost full.  Strong steady ENE wind at 20-30 mph set up some beautiful conditions.  I've been on the south shore for two weeks, it's been very good late afternoons.  Had a few 9 mph average speed runs, but it ain't no maliko.  Today was 9.1 and it felt a lot faster.  A few of the standups had personal record runs.

I've been focusing on not struggling to get into glides.  The moment I suspect I may not get in, I back off and wait for the next one.  "Don't struggle, keep the boat going downhill"  It's been working like a charm.  Minimal effort with killer glides.  I had a few hard digs to get into pier one swells, but that's it.  Spartan's, camp one and all through kanaha was smooth and easy.  Big thanks to my south shore bro's for the great advice.  And to mother nature for the relatively groomed swells. 

I like how the speed chart looks like the steady heartbeat of the ocean pushing me along.  No radical spikes, just mellow cruising without stalls.  Super fun.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2011, 10:47:44 PM »
I went to the oil tanks with a 2 pm launch and ditto what LaPer wrote.  An absolutely prefect day.  I tried to think about the other thread (about best tide for a Hawaii Kai run) when I was out there and attempt to add up all the factors that were making today's run so good.  But my train of thought just disappeared.  All I can say is that it was Bullet territory.  Got to get my camera back from Jeremy.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2011, 12:36:37 PM »
Garmin training center will smooth the data on the graph.  I usually look at it smoothed because it is easier to see the big bumps.  

I took a look at the glide at 49 min. unsmoothed to better understand the data.  It looks to me as though there were 5 smaller waves on the face of the larger, faster moving swell.  If the 5 waves were between 48 and 49 min., each 'mini' glide was about 12 seconds.  This jibes well with my memory of a maliko run.  It's a series of small and medium waves, hopefully on the face of a big groundswell.  

Oc-1's are great for this type of action.  Very little effort is needed to maintain hull speed for loooong glides.  In a boat it's mainly just steering.  Get the hull speed up, catch a ride on a big one, hold back, stay high and fly.  Great fun.  

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:46:35 PM by LaPerouseBay »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
South shore downwinders have been excellent late afternoons.  Most of my pals  in Kihei are on oc-1 and time is short, so I usually do the canoe with them.  Canoes are faster if the wind dies.  Hasn't lately, but nice not to have to worry about it.  

Had a day off work so headed straight for maliko.  Shuttle was almost full.  Dave K. was coaching a few guys, Kai Bartlett was testing a new prototype xm.  Conditions were excellent.  Broke the hour by a whisker, with minimal effort.  Holding back rather than chasing each and every little bump is really working.  Nice to be going faster with less effort.    

Got a new wood paddle from Mike at Aircore.  Super comfortable paddle.  I really like the S bend on the blade face.  Some prefer a flatter blade, I like this one a lot.  Pictures don't do it justice, it's really a work of art.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:05:30 PM by LaPerouseBay »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »
what's the theory for putting the carbon on that side of the blade?  I woulda figured the other side for strength or why put it on at all, except that the blade is whittled down to very thin.  Looks damn nice.

Old surfboards are becoming art objects for the wall but a finely made wood paddle is so much more universal and also subtler than a surfboard.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2011, 11:09:25 AM »
what's the theory for putting the carbon on that side of the blade?  I woulda figured the other side for strength or why put it on at all,/
Carbon is to help lateral stiffness. 

My guess is that carbon is more effective on the back face because - in this application - it will be stronger in tension (rather than compression) over its area.

The handle is very comfortable.  This is the palm side.  It looks like a hybrid of a T and a palm grip.

Very tight annular rings in the dark side pieces.  The shaft has 11 laminations at the handle.

9 laminations at the transition.  Very comfy here too.  Very high quality epoxy for the layup.  Catalyzed urethane top coat.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2011, 09:17:54 PM »
I was admiring the top pic of the handle and then it turned into ET

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal