Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 404357 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2011, 12:28:48 AM »
Oc-6's had a regatta in the harbor, so Jeremy introduced me to the boat ramp finish.  It's a great place to stop - avoids the harbor traffic and wind.

I took the oc-1 today, hoping to relax and take some pics.  The wind was about 20 when we drove up.  An intermediate oc-1'er like myself can keep up with an elite Sup'er if the wind stays around 20.  If it goes over 30 - 35, elite Sup's drop me like a bad habit. 

As we launched I was still convinced I had this one in the bag. 

You ready?  Sure, go ahead kid, I'll stay back and shoot some pics, then run you down later...

There he goes... and up comes the wind, gusting over 30 now...

WTF? how did he get so far ahead? (big zoom here) I'd better get going. 

I had to bust my ass to keep up.  No time for pics. :)  Got lucky on the inside line and snuck away, just beating him to the entrance.  Young whippersnapper pushed me to my fastest run of the year. 

Another cool thing about finishing at the boat ramp are the catchable waves.

Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2011, 07:30:04 AM »
We started doing the boat ramp finish at the end of the winter. Way better than the Hale.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2011, 01:05:07 PM »
Wow, very impressive PB.  How did you manage to stay in the same zip code as Jeremy?  The only memories I have of winter and elite sup's are watching them fly past me in my oc-1.   :)

Kelly's shuttle saves about an hour and a half of driving time.  She's a single mom and working hard to keep this business afloat.  Give her a ring or text and get on her email list for updates to the schedule.  I learn a lot on the shuttles.  It's a great opportunity to rub elbows with the true experts.  They are very helpful if you have questions.  Sometimes they tell stories that are mind boggling. 

http://moorewatertimemaui.com/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2011, 09:00:36 PM »
What would make you think I stayed in the same zip as Jeremy. Actually, now that I think if it, I did once--he was doing testing and swapping boards around and guiding someone. I actually finished ahead of him.

Perhaps you're confused by the reference to finishing at the boat ramp. that was Herr Headmount and I, and we planned to do it regularly, but I jammed up my knee and then left for Hood River. It's been so long since I've had a paddle in the water I'm not sure which end goes in.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2011, 10:41:14 PM »
I am not a downwinder as of yet and thus have never used the shuttle. Not sure if its true, but I heard today that business for Kelly has been slow and will be a challenge to continue much longer of something doesn't change. I think the shuttle service is a very valuable resource for the downwinder not to mention the convienence. I certainly hope the Maui DW folks can help provide some support to help keep her in business. I just may consider getting into the DW thing and use the shuttle whenever I go as my part to help. Maybe someone can start a Maui DW touring business which utilizes the shuttle for all its clients. Any takers out there? Sorry don't mean to hi-jack this thread.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2011, 10:56:16 PM »
You will be amazed at how much fun downwinders are MWW.  Give it serious consideration.

And thanks for the support for the shuttle, she needs it.  

Perhaps you're confused by the reference/ blah blah blah..

That's it?

I fire a five inch shell across your bow, hoping to stir up some controversy in this thread (with the aim of promoting Kelly's shuttle) and you reply with logic?

Are you drunk?  You should be mean and aggressive when off the water!  Get off the meds!

The zone is long overdue for a good dust up.  See if you can get your fat brother involved too, fatso.   :)

Good news on the shuttle today, Danny moved out.  Mark R. and Kelly expressed interest in something paddle related happening on the property.  I quickly volunteered my willingness to pay rent for storage.  I don't know if it's at all possible - but sure hope so.

C'mon all you paddlers with influence on Maui, make it happen!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:19:12 PM by LaPerouseBay »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2011, 08:50:22 AM »
I'm a little slow on the uptake, it's the cold weather, makes me torpid. That plus I didn't fathom that some traitor who spends his winters sitting down to paddle (and probably to pee) would be giving me grief.

I certainly hope Kelly continues her great service. One of those things that people won't miss until it's gone. I've heard folks say it costs them less to do the shuttle with a friend. Yeah, probably about one beer less. But if you don't support Kelly, she won't be there when you need her. I know that's a common argument for everything, from lifeguards to farmers, but this is an easy one that appeals to my selfish nature. Burn a bunch of gas and time shuttling yourself to Maliko, or do something much more fuel-efficient, easy, fun (great conversations in the shuttle, always) and convenient.

So take that Larry, you pencil necked canoe flogger.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »
PBill... He's in the picture, right behind Jack Nickleson, a tad to the right... the tall starry eyed- pencil neck Benedictoid. 

Now that I've entered the fray I can picture what's coming next.  Hey Bill, you gonna put a Ubangi nose ring in that hole?  Already heard that one.

THings are slow all around right now and should pick up soon for Kelly and all of us.  5 or so races coming up.  She'll be full soon.  Man a storage locker at the gulch would be the bomb... if it were bomb proof.  Getting paddlers to close and lock the door after themselves might be a trick tho. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2011, 01:26:10 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I work with a guy who was learning to surf at Tourmaline Canyon in the 60s or 70s and almost mowed down Skip Frye, who told him, "if you ever do that again I'll wring your neck you pencil necked geek".

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »
Pencil necks are a good thing in a canoe.  With my butt planted in the seat, the only way to shift weight forward is to lean.  I can whip my melon forward like a yo-yo for that little extra push.  The primo guys wish they were built like me.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:24:57 PM by LaPerouseBay »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2011, 06:59:18 PM »
Cute, after you master that you should take on Ornstein, he's pretty rad in a canoe too.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2011, 10:57:16 PM »
Today was a grey overcast day but superb conditions-25-40, no contrary ground swell, just a very orderly wind roll with smooth faces, everything running in the exact same direction.  At the end of today's run I made a statement to myself that I usually hate to say... that was the best ever.  But the reasons were more than just conditions.  Most of my runs end up in a very solitary world.  Very seldom do I paddle anywhere near someone else for any period of time and even if we're equally down the coast,  most of the time over there is a 100 yard difference laterally.  I've heard of some teams staying close and that has always seemed a great way to energize a run to the max.  But I'm either too slow or too fast.  However today I met up with Talia Gangini at the boat ramp, my good friend John's 18 yr. daughter.  I know she has a track record as one of the top female paddlers on the scene and suffered no illusions about being able to keep up with her.  However the conditions were off the charts and that becomes an equalizer of sorts.  Amazingly we were less than 20 yds apart for the first several miles.  Many times on the same glide within hooting distance.  It was intense out there and we were going pretty damn fast.  My legs finally gave out on a drop and I went down hard.  It takes awhile for me to get back up and she had slipped away.  But riding close for so long really did energize my run.  Amazingly when Robert and I went back up to the gulch to retrieve his truck and it had glassed off.  We were so lucky.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2011, 11:57:53 PM »
The run-in to the harbor was epic.  Head high groomed swells were too easy to catch.  Wind would  blast then relax for a few minutes.  I'd pause and wait for the wind to launch into the big ones.  3 over the front superman wipeouts today.  Too fun.

/ trying to keep up with La Perouse, who in two runs in different conditions has slipped away, close but just ahead.  I wanted to report back to you that I put the pencil neck in his place/
meh, get in line.

You did look good for only 2 runs in 2 weeks.  It's highly unlikely that you will ever beat me straight up though.  If you pull ahead, I'll just sit down and make a phone call...

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2011, 12:41:57 AM »
Great conditions today.  Wind picked up as the run progressed.   

Chivalry is dead.  Devin with her F-16 v3, Sandy with a C4 stocker.  Pencil necks need not apply.

Martin Lenny starts 'em young at maliko. 

I love it when the oc's drop in to say hello. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »
Just try to carry Devin's board for her. You'd be likely to get a paddle upside yer melon. For that matter, don't drop in on her going left at Kanaha. Boyum calls her "The Boss" and seems a little scared of her, which is odd considering that she weighs about 14 pounds.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard