Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 404579 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »
Turtle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2011, 06:33:36 PM »
Great video Jonathan. Gave me the feel of riding those runners myself. I wish I could stay on a runner as long as you were. Sure looks like fun.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2011, 06:49:07 PM »
Argosi Here's the pic of the camera mount.  It's from Pana Vise.  Works great.  Never came off the 2 times I used it and yesterday was fairly strong.  Great versatility with angling.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2011, 07:19:23 PM »
Oh yeah Argosi.  Forgot to tell you what happened to me with this set up.  So I have the camera set up with a slight tilt in the back .  Jonathan thought it had a left pull on thursday when I had the camera on with that light wind vid I already posted.  I didn't notice it very much that day and then I went out the next day friday without the camera and the board felt all time, no pull at all.  Then yesterday, Sunday the wind was fairly strong and my board keeps pulling left, big time.  I'm hoping it's the freaking camera acting like a sail and pushing my ass end around.  My rudder looks fine and I didn't bang it on anything.  I'll find out if it's the camera on the next windy day because I'm going out with the camera on my pal's board taking vid of me dropping in.  Then I'll splice that in and post.  Looks pretty cool so far, plus I had a blond gal to paddle out with. 

I dig the deck POV.  Moved the board all the way to the right side of the frame and pointed it down on the deck more so you can see my lead feet move.  My body is cut off at the knees.  I figure no one needs to see my sorry ass anyway.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »
Here's a pic of the two Bills loading up at HCC after a Maliko run.  PBill is growing vegies and being a grease monkey in Portland... blows my mind what a contrast that is.  But I'm sure that once the icebergs clear the Columbia River he'll be out there on his new Bullet. 

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »
Bill, thanks for the pics of the mount. Looks solid. Was it this model?:
http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=74

The optional extender may make for even better videos but a more fragile mount.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work with the deck mount camera. I may get one myself if I can figure out a way to stick it on to my Starboard with EVA deck.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »
Cut a circle out of the EVA and make a smooth suction spot.  I don't know what model it is but it's the only one that looks like that.  Yeah Higher would be better but I think it would have a tendency to bounce around.  Some guy on You Tube commented that I should have used a fish eye.  Totally missed the point of no distortion.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »
Did a run yesterday with Jeremy Riggs, Livio and Thomas. It was almost OK to start off then got super light towards the harbour.

This mount is a stick on right where the rudder passes through the deck - fine for light wind but in bigger waves I would have been stepping on the camera. The GoPro isn't great down low IMO, not a patch on the Panasonic because of the wide angle lens distortion.

Took out a Vimeo account so you can watch this one in HD if the fancy takes you!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »
Another great vid Jonathan.. Keep them coming.. Pleeeese.. :)

DJ

enden

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »
I use the same mount.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »
Got to do a run today without all the camera hassles and concerns.  My Bullet needed some rudder tuning so I took the 16 out and was glad I did.  Took some big drops outside Uppers I don't think I woulda pulled off on the Bullet.   Trying to warp my head around racing in the next few months.  Such a different deal than just going out and dropping the clean set ups... when you're on your own.  Racing makes me think about stroking too much when waiting is what I like to do.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2011, 12:15:10 AM »
^We missed you today HM, wish you had been along for the adventure.   Jonothan paddled my oc-1 today.  We did the shuttle with 7 standups and two canoes.  He did exceptionally well for his first time in an oc-1.  Wind was good - glides all around.  He tipped a few times in the bay and twice more out to sea.  Not bad at all considering he was catching some fine glides. 
Here he is very early in the run.

Off to the races right off the bat.  I predict he will have an oc-1 within the year.  He just doesn’t know it yet…

Not many pictures of him in the boat because I had to rush to keep pace.  He waited and checked in a few times to see if I was ready to switch.  After about 3 miles he was ready for the standup.  We jumped in the water, tried to cross over when the F-16 went airborne.  It flew over our heads (and the oc-1) coming to rest about 30 feet downwind.  So I gave JC his paddle, hopped in the canoe and told him to swim.  :)

30 feet was 100 in a heartbeat.  I caught the f-16 and began waiting. Unfortunately, the wind was pushing me faster than he could swim (with the paddle).   Towing the board like a dingy crossed my mind, but I didn’t think I could lash it up without smashing something.  So I jumped in, right arm around the tail of the canoe, left around the tail of the F-16 and started kicking back to him.  We finally met up about 10 minutes later.  No real danger or panic, we knew we would sort it out, it just took longer than anticipated. 

Then it was back to riding.  Tasty bumps today.

I like this pic because it shows a swell coming from the left and a bigger one from the right.  The convergence is where I like to steer.  Oc’s are very forgiving when sprinting into those zones.  10 months in a canoe has spoiled me.  When on standup, I need to remember to choose slower lines.  It’s all coming together nicely.

Support your local shaper

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2011, 01:36:56 AM »
I like that last pic of Jon on your board Larry.  What an adventure you had.  I had to work later so I had a 1:15 launch.  Went to the oil tanks.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2011, 04:13:01 AM »
Hey Jonathan I know how you must have felt..  ;D .. Did you get a pic of it flying through the air? .. Great pics.

I can also see Jonathan and I in OC1's down the track.. I'm super keen.

DJ

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »
DJ ... no one will ever duplicate that shot you posted about your ordeal.  That was one of a kind.  Whatever we do here is paddy cakes compared to that.  Well, I take that back.  A guy could have a pretty bad ordeal out in one of these inter island channels.  I had one once along time ago wndsrfng.  But Larry and Jon... they're solid.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill