Author Topic: Forecast looking good for us pilgrims  (Read 3370 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Forecast looking good for us pilgrims
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:08:46 AM »
I've been waiting for the right swell direction at my local beach. In order for it to get decent waves the swell direction has to come through a very narrow window from the NE. The arm of Cape Cod and a barrier beach to the north block all other swells......it looks like today might be the day. I'll be on these shoals this afternoon.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Plymouth,+MA&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.977103,-70.63076&spn=0.032861,0.055103&t=h&z=14

Hopefully I'll post an epic session tonight.

Tomorrow could be even better. Heading up north to meet up with ECsup to begin the serious planning for the 7P's paddle. Nantasket beach gets more swell than my local spot and the forecast looks good.

Most of next week is looking good for my local beach. I think I'll be going to work in a wetsuit....THAT should draw some comments.

How do you spell STOKED?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
Re: Forecast looking good for us pilgrims
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 07:17:15 AM »
It's on! Lowtide is at noon and the wind is supposed to shift around noon to the northwest. That will open up a bunch of spots. ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 05:47:16 PM »
So much for an epic day....winds 25 with gusts to 30-35, oh well at least the kiters were having fun.

The choppy junk and high winds kept me from checking out the break I was hoping to hit. Check the whitewash on the horizon...about 3/4's of a mile out.

It looks like Tues-Wed may be good for seeing it work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 06:33:30 PM »
Dirk Diggler Status? talk about big timber.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 03:49:26 PM »
Hehe....thank god Rand changed them...I thought I was doomed to that forever... ;D
Bob

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »
Two days of ovehead+ at my local spot with all my prone buddies. Some grumbling and even got called Laird once or twice. People get grumpy sitting around in 36F water. It was nice and smooth up here all day Axe, Pm me sometime and I will reveal the location. ;) Awesome weekend.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 07:55:11 PM »
It was waist to chest yesterday but just blowing like crazy. I went up to Nantasket and tried to go out with ECsup today....chest to head high+ at a 6 sec period and no channel. A workout just to get out there and when I finally did I couldn't manage more than a min in the bucking bronco of chop. EC caught a few waves but I just got killed. Funny thing is I even enjoyed getting worked. Always loved getting pounded by the shore breaks body surfing as a kid.

EC could put that spot to better use than I. We are supposed to be getting together up there in a couple of weeks though to continue planning the 7P's. We are starting to get some of the details together.
Bob

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 05:04:42 PM »
There's a little inside section that is seldom surfed and fun with a sandy bottom.  I am positive you could handle it. I have one other friend up here who also SUP's and he liked the look of your offshore shoal area as well. Has anyone surfed it before by boat in summer? I imagine it's been done. In any case we both would like to paddle out there as well so if you need company let me know. Oh yeah and this spot up here has channels so you don't have to punch too much whitewater.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 06:38:08 PM »
Sounds like a good spot, I like sandy bottoms considering the amount of time I spend falling off my board in those conditions. If that was reef or rocks on Sunday I'd be bruised and cut all over.

I've lived in the area for 25 years and my daughter has worked on that beach at my friends restaurant for 3 years. We've never seen anyone surfing. I did once talk to a guy about the break at the end of the beach, the one closer in but I've only seen him once. If anyone has surfed the outer break its been few and far between. It only fires up in a very narrow swell window. If you look at the wider view in google maps the band between the tip of the Cape and the tip of Duxbury beach, the bar to the north, is very narrow. Big, long period waves have a hard time getting there. You could get some wind swell across the bay but it would be messy

Tomorrow happens to be looking very good. I was just going to do a dawn patrol but I said screw it and took the day off. I hope the forecast holds up. If Plymouth isn't working I'll probably go up to Brant Rock in Marshfield. It will definitely be working on one side or the other of the point.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=42.092602,-70.641725&spn=0.01035,0.017209&t=h&z=16
Bob

bodhi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »
Hey Stone, wish I got your email, would have been happy to get out with you guys on nantasket. Catch ya next time.ll be hitting it tomorrow am around 9. May actually prone surf if the winds are blowing
P

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 06:56:10 PM »
NP...You didn't miss much.

If Plymouth isn't working I may actually make it up that far. I'd prefer Nantaskets sand to Brant Rocks boulders.
Bob

nesurfari

• Waikiki Status
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hawaiianlion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 08:08:57 PM »
Tree,

They let you out at D land on a SUB? I could only imagine doing that back in the day with Ralph F and Freddie J in the lineup! ;)

There are a lot of spots up on the NS that aren't really surfed spots either because of the paddle or the funk factor of the waves that SUP could open up and I'm dying to get up there and try them

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »
They? There is no they anymore. I let them surf there, hehehe. ;) Two guys on sup out there sometimes 3 and anymore it would make the local shortboard guys angry, they have a tough time enough with longboarders. Iv'e been touring around and there are a ton of spots,especialy when it's big. You coming up here anytime soon or just full time Nantucket? This last swell was fun, a whole lot of options. Funny you mention FJ, he was always all bark and no bite. I miss having RF down here, he always kept everyone honest.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal