Author Topic: Shoulder friendly Paddles  (Read 5489 times)

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shoulder friendly Paddles
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 07:00:10 PM »
i use a big blade. i just work out my shoulders a little each week.  seems to help me catch waves better.  i agree work on your stroke and technique.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »
I got the Jimmy Lewis Kanaha.  Easy on the shoulders.  In pics of me paddling it's flexing like crazy, but c'mon - unless you're planning on turning pro, how efficient do you need to be if you're already on an SUP and you have a paddle?  Shoulder specific exercises with light free weights and stretching also help big time.  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:19:51 PM by dietlin »

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »
Paddles are so user specific, everyone seems to like whatever paddle they are currently using.  I'll share my paddle story:

I started with a Starboard Carbon Wave for surfing.  Big round blade, and I didn't know any better.  The shop where I ordered it had no experience with SUP paddles, so they just forwarded the Starboard marketing info.  I sort of ordered it blind.  It's a nice paddle, and moves a lot of water, but is definitely a slow cadence, high resistance paddle.  I've had rotator cuff issues, and periodic shoulder pain, but still just muscled through it.

After breaking my collarbone and scapula, I got an adjustable Werner Carve for flat water "physical therapy".  I personally like the tall, narrow Werner shape.  After a few months I decided that I wanted a little more reach than the 82" max of the Carve.

So I got an 84" Werner Nitro for a dedicated flatwater paddle. I really like it, as a higher cadence paddle.  It's nice and lightweight, and has a pretty "fat" shaft that fits my hands well.  I used that paddle in the 22-mile Tahoe Classic, and placed 2nd overall in the stock class, and first in 40+ men.  So I think it's a good paddle.

I did demo Kialoa and QuickBlade paddles as well.  My girlfriend really likes her Kialoa Methane (she's a very strong, athletic 5"10" paddler).  She likes the handle and ovalized shaft of the paddle.  The Kialoa Methane is a nice paddle, however not for me.  I find that the the paddle has an annoying flutter, due to the lack of a dihedral.  My gf doesn't notice it at all.  Personal preference counts for a lot.  So does the nice flowery pattern on the Kialoa...

After breaking my other collarbone and scapula, I ordered a second Werner Nitro (80") for surfing.  I hope to be surfing and paddling again in a few weeks.  (It's been a rough year, physically.  I broke both collarbones, both scapulas, elbow, thumb, and nose within 9 months).

The other piece of the puzzle, is of course paddling technique.  Learning to minimize the use of your shoulders and arms for generating power is key.  I've worked on using my arms as "anchors" for using my abs, obliques, other core muscles, and gravity (by bending at the waist) to generate power.  Paddling flat water and surfing are different animals too.  Surfing requires more quick pivoting and other strokes which can be harder on the shoulders as well.

There are lots of good paddles out there.  I'd certainly look at the Werner Nitro, and also Kialoa Methane or Pipes (just be aware of the lack of a dihedral).  Good luck.

Cam S

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 02:17:14 AM »
Thanks guys for all the input... Good Technique - its a must I know and I appreciate its necessity... The paddle gives another option to compliment the package when considering attacking a known issue - ie: long time shoulder issues outside of SUP. I have put up with it for more than a few years - Tearing muscles and tears to tendons, with a hint of early arthritis. Occupational hazard of working stud cattle. Utilizing a weight training system worked at improving things for several years. Not completely, however did considerably lengthen the time between painful periods. Last March that came to a stop and now each time I try to work weights [even lightly], I am toast soon after. I later heard of SUP and talking with people thought this maybe a good mild work out and also get me back onto the water that I had left and missed since going full time ranching / farming so many moons ago...

Yesterday having returned from a 2 day cattle show, spending a day in the judging ring with a bull who knew he was boss, I feel my shoulder and back have been used by Mohammad Ali as a hand towel! This is a reminder to get SUP down right - good technique and good/friendly paddle to keep me in the game. I had heard of the Jimmy Lewis Paddles being a shoulder friendly option and thought there must be others, hence throwing up the question. My SUP time thus far has been in hour blocks [small in number as I didn't have my own board] and not turning on the power, so I have not seen the signs of body stress or pain. Tho I have been surprised how good I felt after. I will try and see if I can demo the Jimmy Lewis, Werner Nitro and the Kiola Methane if I can track them down here in West OZ... Timber paddles I am assuming [possibly incorrectly] to be heavy over extended paddle time when compared to the Carbon? Tho they do look beautiful!

cheers,

Cam...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM