Author Topic: Couple of things  (Read 3619 times)

mike2jay1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Couple of things
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:41:12 AM »
So while i love my big stable board, i really want to get into something smaller, that being said i am 280 and am starting to eat better, my hip hurts when i run, so i basically paddle and do alot of walking any high intensity low stress on the hip workouts you could recomend, how about p90x?

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »
Hey Mike2jay1, try low to no impact exercises like swimming , cycling maybe some trx training . But please check with a physician before ! Good luck . Later

mike2jay1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Couple of things
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:08:21 PM »
Thank you for your reply,  I am reading the 4 hour body and it talks about cold water swimming as burning super calories. I am going to give it a try. I would love to get down to a board that i could fit in the inside of my car.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
I did Beach Body (pre-cursor to P90X) and it was a great workout - combination of strength training (with body weight, bands, & light dumbbells) & aerobic exercise.  6 out of 7 days a week was pretty intense; I'm not sure about the hip though.  The body squats & some of the aerobic exercise was tough on the knees...

Did you think about getting a trainer to get you started?  Be careful - some are worthless but if you find the right one that promotes a balance of strength training & aerobic exercise you could learn what to do and then take over on your own...

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »
Mike2jay1- Whoa if your talking BUDS training (Basic Underwater Demolition /SEAL ) you need to join the special forces ! Or train with someone who was a SEAL and can rescue you when you need it not if but when. I thought I was in shape and tough until my neighbor who actually showed me some hands + feet bound exercises in a cold pool ! The short of it is I was not prepared at all !  Please be careful ! If you are cold water swimming there are definite benefits like - getting your blood pumping ,boosting your immunity and burning calories just make sure you have a training buddy! When your ready to try a smaller board , check out the 7s super fish 8'0 its super fun and it will probably fit into your ride unless its a Mini or a Smart Car . Later ,FMS

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:00:44 AM »
There's a good chance your hip pain is a precursor to arthritis, could have a lot of sources, but a common one is joint tightness. The strain of supporting your weight causes the muscles surrounding the joint to pull the ball into the socket too tightly, which reduces blood circulation. If the pain is a deep, steady ache rather than a sharp twinge then something along those lines is a likely issue.

You can get some relief through physical therapy but Yoga is as good, perhaps better. What you want to do is a lot of hip opener poses.

I have this condition. My doctor told me I was on the way to joint replacement. Lost weight and did a lot of hip opening exercises. Now he says my hip joint looks like it belongs to a nineteen year old.

P90X is very good, and the videos are top quality. Tony Horton is an excellent motivator and keeps the energy level very high. You'll have to do most of the exercises in a modified way. I doubt, for example, that you are going to be doing the dozens of varied style pull ups and chin ups (I can't do any with my crap shoulders), but you can substitute band pull-down exercises or other modifications. It's pretty extreme, but it's rewarding. My wife and I do them fairly regularly (she's more consistent than I am)

Bill Boyum, my wife Diane, Shaina Kalama and I are working on a video/book package of Dave Kalama's beach workout. I think his workout is simply amazing, and you can do it anywhere, with just a rope. Anyone that's been to a Kalama Kamp knows all about his workout. First time I did it with him and his cousin Junya they about killed me. My mistake was trying to keep up with Dave and Junya. Couple of genetic freaks.

The light went on when I joined him and some fairly out of shape folks for a workout one morning. He had them doing all the exercises, but just at levels they could manage. I realized it wasn't just a workout for people at Dave's level of extraordinary athleticism, it was for anyone. And it wasn't really a workout, it was part of his lifestyle.

Not sure when it will be ready, it's a lot of work, and Dave wants it to be really good. I'd probably just slam it out, but it's his reputation. Lot of fun working on this with him, and it's doing a lot for my physical condition.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »
I have left foot drop.  so, running is something I can not do.  I end up tripping over my foot.  Walking was hard on my left foot, leg & hip.  By the time I finished walking around a mall shopping with my wife, I was dragging my left leg.  A few yrs. ago I bought a pair of those MBT shoes.  Now I walk for exercise, without pain.  I can even "enjoy" mall shopping.  BTW, I am retired & have never worked for MBT.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard