Author Topic: WTF?  (Read 32120 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: WTF?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 03:45:18 PM »
It's the price we pay to keep our neighbors in North safe from the kooks and criminals on our side of the border!!!
I forgot to add--you might want to ask Easy Rider if he appreciates the protection that he's getting.   :)

Absolutetrip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Absolute trip Standup Paddle Surfboards
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 04:14:01 PM »
Wow have not seen the ice pick in many years. All our boards got ice picked back in the 1980's crossing borders going down the Pan Am.

I am guessing the lead in that shitty Chinese paint won't let the customs Xrays through......

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »
Plus, as several people pointed out, why are the boards being inspected on their way OUT of the country in the first place?

pdxmike, the customs people also try to keep some things, like too much money, from leaving the country. That's why I never hide millions of dollars in my boards when I fly to Mexico. They can do any thing they want and they answer to no one any you have to just shut up and take it. I'm reminded of this every time I return to this county.

On one of my last surf trips to Baja the agent asked my why i drove so far to go surfing and I told him it was better there. I then asked him if he had ever been to Baja. He looked at me in total disbelief that I would think that he would ever consider going to Baja. The people that are inspecting travelers are people that have never traveled, and I see that as a problem.   

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
pdxmike, the customs people also try to keep some things, like too much money, from leaving the country. That's why I never hide millions of dollars in my boards when I fly to Mexico.    
;D

Tom--I hadn't thought of that.  I was just thinking of getting one of those Imagine boards with the storage bins in it for carrying my cash.  I still might, but I won't take it over any borders now, or if I do I'll keep it under $1M.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »

There are a lot of claims that are being thrown back and forth. I think we're a little to swift at bringing down the hammer...Internet judging: convenient, but often lacks actual information. Yeah it sucks to find your board like that. Big time. It would have pissed me off beyond belief...but to go from there to other posts about TSA and shoes...makes no sense (I'm not entirely unsympathetic to complaints about the TSA and efficiencies, but policy changes aren't made here.

Is it really true that a customs officer or any other public servant "CAN DO WHAT HE WANTS"? Obviously this cannot possibly be right. I am assuming if the item you ship is legal and as described in the package, they have to replace the item. Any one who are being abused in one way or another, take the name and number of the officer, and make a formal complaint. You actually have a lot of power if you choose to use it.

Obviously "the price we pay" argument has no footing when abuses like this happen (actually it usually sounds like a last straw type argument), but do we know this actually happened in the custom check? Nobody should expect to see their possessions like this. I am willing to bet that this would be taken very seriously if you found out it was caused by the customes officers...that said could it have happened on the Canadian side of the border? The tape is broken, which it wouldn't have been if it was the US ones...

How many items are being shipped fine though customs compared to accidents? Could it have happened in transport?

So before rants, try to back up with references: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/793/kw/complaint

https://help.cbp.gov/ci/fattach/get/17414/1272576619

In any case, I think it is good the information comes out, but really have to be careful in placing blame before we know...IMO. :-)

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »
Hey easyrider, have you tried to get an explanation of WHY your package went through US customs at all?  That would be a bit of a detour, no?   My understanding is that packages coming from the US circumvent US customs completely.  How would they even get there hands on it?  Something strange going on there, perhaps someone thought they might score something.

Hey Starman, ya its kinda suspicous sending surfboards to a prairie province, so why not take 5 minutes and colaborate with the Canadain Customs and the RCMP and ask the simple question, "Is this Easy Rider guy a real business?  Is there any way he would be under RCMP or Customs suspision?"  ANSWER WOULD BE NO........life goes on, do not have to spend an hour drilling holes in a board and stomping on it to break it in half and see if nose candy falls out.  

About 10 years back i ordered  about 40 cigars, most of them were Cubans.  No big deal they are legal in Canada, yet when they came across the border they called me on the phone, gave me a hard time about the importation.  the agent made it fairly clear that I was not going to receive my order.   A few days later the order showed up at my door, with, "this package has been opened and inspected by Customs Canada" stickers on it...........there were 12 expensive cigars missing from the order.   Gee, i wonder what happened there??

Recently my 65 yo mother, who has never even tired smoking in her life was given the full trestment at an airport.  They took apart all of her luggage,  scanned her, questioned her.  They guy in front of my parents was a middle eastern gent who checked in a COMPUTER PRINTER no questions asked.  Hmmmm......yes they need to avoid targeting and prejudging people but giving a granny the full monty while leaving a dude that fits a profile alone is just wacked.  All this literally just afew days after the printer cartridge bomb incident.

There's logic and there are rules.  Maybe just perhaps the rules should be made by people who are logical.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
Tautologies--be careful before placing blame???  Where's the fun in that!  ;D

I have a theory it was a neither a U.S. or Canadian customs official that did it.  I think it was an international terrorist, trying to foment anger between the two countries, leading to destabilization of North America.  

Or, it could have been a confused agent, who saw the boards, and called his supervisor:

Agent:  It's a whole truckload of boards!

Supervisor:  Lumber?

Agent:  No, like giant surfboards--some kind of board for using on the water.

Supervisor:  Dang!  Boards to use on the water?  In other words--waterboarding?

Agent:  Yes, sir.  

Supervisor:  We're against that.  Destroy them!

Agent:  But sir. doesn't 404.B.S.2.ii prohibit us from doing that intentionally?

Supervisor:  Good point.  Maybe just make them inoperable.  Maybe so they won't float.  Drill some holes in them or something.

Agent:  Yes, sir!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:48:05 PM by pdxmike »

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 09:58:37 PM »
Blame Canada

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2011, 10:44:16 PM »
I love this thread but I have way too many opinions to jump in without old baggage coming to light.  I do know young Kai went to Austria last month and came back with a clean board.  At the same time, I once had to plead with a border guard to keep him from sawing my surfboard in two with his machine gun.  I cried like a little girl... they were A-plus Dick Brewers.  It's a new world these days and there's a lot of tit for tat by other countries because of our policies.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 01:13:33 AM »
Tautologies--I suspect you haven't been on the receiving end of officialdom lately. Since the Patriot Act passed responsibility and rationality has disappeared. I guarantee, if you run afoul of even the weeniest aspect of it you'll be surprised--and not so understanding.

I do understand that there are serious issues regarding our borders and the materials and people crossing them. Only a tiny fraction of the flow can actually be searched, and agents that rip something apart don't have the time or resources to repair or replace. But you'd have to be a complete Pollyanna to not realize that lots of these folks abuse the resultant power. Give the tiniest bit of lip to a cop, a customs official, a TSA agent these days and see what it gets you. Our civil rights aren't what they used to be.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:26:04 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2011, 01:52:55 AM »
Tautologies--I suspect you haven't been on the receiving end of officialdom lately. Since the Patriot Act passed responsibility and rationality has disappeared. I guarantee, if you run afoul of even the weeniest aspect of it you'll be surprised--and not so understanding.

I do understand that there are serious issues regarding our borders and the materials and people crossing them. Only a tiny fraction of the flow can actually be searched, and agents that rip something apart don't have the time or resources to repair or replace. But you'd have to be a complete Pollyanna to not realize that lots of these folks abuse the resultant power. Give the tiniest bit of lip to a cop, a customs official, a TSA agent these days and see what it gets you. Our civil rights aren't what they used to be.

I think you might be misunderstanding what I am trying to say.
Don't get me started about my opinion on how effective (or not) the patriot act, the border controls and TSA etc. really is. I think they are on the wrong track, but that said I am not sure that is really the issue here.

I think the way to get to the bottom of this is:

0. knowing OP was taken care of by good Naish customer service....(obviously it is still annoying for him that he has to wait more for another board).
1. Figure out what exactly happened so blame is placed where it is due. It should NOT be impossible. The shipping company should definitely know how the package looks before and after it goes through customs...
2. Force a response. Send complaints and pics. Demand to know why they drilled holes...it really looks to me like US customs checked..it went to Canadian border controls and they see the tape and go ballistic...or the board met with a deranged FedEx employee that got a new drill for xmas.
3. Demand compensation. It is not acceptable that items are completely ruined, and if there is nothing compensation is due.   

The board looks out of this world horrific. It definitely is NOT the norm, and we do not have to accept it. If we resign and say they can do what they want, then well you haven't really used your recourse.

What we should avoid is rants of marginally connected issues (I'm not alway good at this myself...I just have a sober moment fueled by my new espresso machine...)...

I'm all for discussing TSA or other border control measures, and I am sure we'd probably be on the same side of that isle, but that belongs in a separate thread :-)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 11:45:59 AM »
To answer some comments.

1) Easy Rider will not have to pay for this board.
2) Naish will have to "eat" this board. (or go through insurance - their choice)
3) Customs (USA or Canada) are not liable in any way for ANY damage to anything - EVER
4) It was US Customs that did ALL of the damage - including the "ripped tape" (not that, that matters AT ALL)
5) I understand Customs "examining" or 'inspecting" items (I have been in retail for 24 years and this is not my first go around) - but the total destruction and lack of care (boot marks) shows a complete and total disregard for the people that ultimately pay their salaries.

And PonoBill - - I am SO with you on the "reactionary" mentality of Customs and the TSA!
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2011, 01:36:57 PM »
To answer some comments.

1) Easy Rider will not have to pay for this board.
2) Naish will have to "eat" this board. (or go through insurance - their choice)
3) Customs (USA or Canada) are not liable in any way for ANY damage to anything - EVER
4) It was US Customs that did ALL of the damage - including the "ripped tape" (not that, that matters AT ALL)
5) I understand Customs "examining" or 'inspecting" items (I have been in retail for 24 years and this is not my first go around) - but the total destruction and lack of care (boot marks) shows a complete and total disregard for the people that ultimately pay their salaries.

And PonoBill - - I am SO with you on the "reactionary" mentality of Customs and the TSA!

I'm speechless. Re: Number 3. Are you 100% sure about this. It is just so unreasonable. Have you tried contacting them about it? There are forms on the links I provided above?

Because of 5, I actually still think you have recourse. Send them images, and explain how they have ruined a board, see what they say.

Personally I think it is a principle matter getting some answers. If nothing else you should send the photo to the newspapers. Regardless of getting a new board from Naish. It is just so disheartening to see stuff like that...

Btw. Which board is that? Looks like a mana?

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2011, 01:57:36 PM »
Border patrol and customs answer to no one, the only way you can sue them if they give you permission to sue them. And you can go broke asking them if it is okay to sue them.
Your only recourse is to contact a US Representative or Senator. Being from Canada, you are sh1t out of luck there. Maybe you'll be better off dealing with China for your business needs.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »
A claim should be filed.  Even if the agents had the authority to inspect they do not get to simply destroy property without compensation.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal