Author Topic: Counterpoint to primal diet  (Read 17338 times)

Pureadrenalin

Re: Counterpoint to primal diet
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 03:49:27 PM »
This thread has heated up a tad and it's important to remember that the only thing more difficult to digest than another person's religion is another person's eating habits.  Ditto what Strand says.

Cool guys. I apologize Pdx. Like I said I had no means of attacking you speciffacly. Aloha SUP NINJA

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »
SUP NINJA--no problem, thanks.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
Head,

Those macs are GOOD!  I make sure that they are outnumbered by the other nuts in my to go package.... Cuz if it was just macs, I would eat way too many!

You re in my sights buddy!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 03:58:52 PM »
This and the paleo thread are good fun to read and I've always enjoyed toying around with diets to see what works well and what doesn't (well at least since I passed 25 and found that I can't stay lean on a large pizza and a 12 pack a day!).  I personally think that any structured eating will work for most people as long as you minimize the processed crap and don't eat to excess.

I have followed quite a few bodybuilders over the years, and while being healthy isn't necessarily why they do their activity, the do achieve an amount of leanness, though maintained for a short period, that the average Joe will never see.  Their methods vary greatly though most contain relatively high amounts of protein- low fat high carb, ketogenic (almost no carb, high fat), carb cycling, refeeds, all sorts of crazy stuff.  And almost all of these methods work!  I've tried several and have had pretty good results as long as I'm willing to follow the outline.  As soon as I stray I'm done.

So to me, the optimal way to get lean and be healthy (as in lower bodyfat, good bloodwork, good energy) is to follow a plan that is both easy to follow and enjoyable.  If it's not, then it's a struggle and I'll fall off the wagon.  Last summer I discovered intermittent fasting as prescribed by this Swedish guy Martin Berkham- www.leangains.com  It is by far the easiest diet I've ever tried.  I basically eat between noon and 8 pm, though I'll have branch chain amino acids outside of those times when I paddle or train in the morning.  It takes a week or so to not be starving in the morning, but once my body got used to it, it's been very easy.  I can eat a lot of things that I like, not feel guilty if I have a couple of cocktails now and then, and the guy will even sit down and eat an entire cheesecake on occasion while maintaining a 5.5% bodyfat!  I've gotten leaner than I've been since I was 20 (41 now), my cholesterol is lower and I feel better than I have in years.  And best of all, it's easy.  Give it a look.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 09:14:50 AM »
Kneecap,

Such good points.  Even if I wasn't doing this "primal" thing, I am sure that I would be losing weight... I mean I have cut out all processed foods and eliminated all junk foods... For me it was a matter of finding a method of eating that fit with the life style... I was sure that the primal thing was too "preparation intensive" to work for me. 

I was totally wrong.  PLUS I have found a certain Zen quality to the Sunday afternoon meal prep.  Every Sunday I cook a primal dinner for the family, and experiment with a primal meal or snack for the week.  Two weeks ago, my own homemade primal shake from scratch, last week, power balls, this week, probably those egg cupcakes...  It is totally relaxing and a really great way for me to transition from the mellow and athletic weekend to the frenetic and generally non-athletic (need more morning surfs... need more waves...) work week...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

cheeehooo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 01:02:57 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only vegan sup surfer on here? I definitely don't look like I'm "walking dead" especially when I'm out in the lineup paddling past some huge kine old guys in my bikini (oops did I say that out loud?) ;D. Seriously though it always cracks me up how other people are so bothered by people's personal dietary choices. If I had a dollar for every time people asked me "What DO you eat?" I would have a quiver of sup boards by now!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 06:35:35 AM »
I doubt it hooo, the rest probably just don't want to post in the middle of all this meat frenzy. I live on Maui and in Hood River which means EVERYBODY that comes to a party or dinner at my house has some kind of dietary preference. We're gotten used to making sure there's plenty to eat as long as the food ideas are not totally out there, in which case they can bring their own or graze in the back yard.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »
Talking about everyone having their own dietary preferences reminded me of this scene in L.A. Story where people are ordering coffee:

LA Story Ordering Coffee

I'll have a half double decaffeinated half-caf, with a twist of lemon.

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »
One of the funniest movies ever!  At least for me, growing up behind the Orange Curtain, where it took an hour to order coffee at Starbucks if you went with more than three people.  Folks at the local coffee shop actually look at me funny when I order a black bitter cup of Joe.

And to all the vegans out there- eat what you like and makes you happy.  I'll do the same and it's all good.

gafas

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 07:45:26 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only vegan sup surfer on here? I definitely don't look like I'm "walking dead" especially when I'm out in the lineup paddling past some huge kine old guys in my bikini (oops did I say that out loud?) ;D. Seriously though it always cracks me up how other people are so bothered by people's personal dietary choices. If I had a dollar for every time people asked me "What DO you eat?" I would have a quiver of sup boards by now!

Ovo-lacto vegetarian here. Not so many here in Portugal, at least compared with North of Europe.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal