Author Topic: Fin suggestion for 8-4 Hokua?  (Read 6848 times)

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fin suggestion for 8-4 Hokua?
« on: March 03, 2011, 03:03:24 PM »
I'm loving this board... when I can keep my body weight low enough to ride it!  At 175lbs I'm pushing the limit right now.

I was riding yesterday and pin pointed something I wanted to improve with the factory setup; the fins.

When I take a big bottom turn with lots of pump/push(via legs) the board seems sluggish and loose.  I've spun it completely out on bottom turns a number of times.  The looseness makes it fun at the top, but I'd like more (I don't know what to call it?)  "drive"?  "hold"?  The fins seem a bit small, I was thinking to trying something a little larger.  I know very little about fin selection, so I'm looking here for advice...  Any suggestions?

Meanwhile I'm playing with the center placement, I've only had it at the rear position the whole time... maybe that's the reason...?

Thanks!

Current/factory fins are 4-1/2" sides and 5-5/8" center.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:09:50 PM by sharksupper »

DCW

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fin suggestion for 8-4 Hokua?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:39:19 PM »
Hi,

I have the 8'4 as well and a big fan. You and I weigh the same at 175lbs.

The fin set-up I use are the stock side fins and a FCS center fin of the same size with the long board adapter to fit the slot box.

I find when you ride the larger center fin it does create drive but it also creates lift. So in your case if you have a larger center fin and have it all the way back in the box you are going increase the stiffness/drive of the board but also more lift due to the added area of the fin.

Also at a higher speed lift becomes greater. If you are a bigger person the larger center fin is a better set-up because a larger person needs the extra bite because of increased rail
pressurefrom they're body weight.

So try the smaller center fin and put the leading edge around center to start, I find that this is a pretty good all around set-up.

DCW

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:46:47 AM »
I rode it yesterday with the center in the middle of the box, and it did seem to cut the bottom a little tighter, hard to tell after only one session if it holds any different.

Interesting that you went smaller with the center!  Which FCS did you use?

I certainly don't have any issues with too much lift.  My JL Mano 9' has big enough fins to get too much lift if I step wrong, but I've not experienced it on the 8-4.   With the bigger fins it feels like you can pump up speed easier for some reason.  I guess the best thing to do is buy a few sets and try different setups.  I"ll definitely try a same size center to see what that is like.  The JL has nearly same size fins across and it has tons of drive/hold, I always thought it was because the fins were larger.

Thanks for sharing the info.

DCW

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »

I use a G-5 for the center it's pretty darn close to the side bites

Funny you felt the bigger fins can pump up speed, wait till you try the smaller fins the board will be soooo much looser and that's were you can really get the board moving around sections and all around improved speed.

You are right though the best thing to do is expierment with different fins and find out what works best for your style and local conditions.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:06:25 AM »
What you are looking for is hold - I'd suggest increasing size of sidebites, it will stiffen board up a tad which can be countered by moving center fin forward (as you have experienced) - fins can kill and make the performance of board and are very personal - generally Naish's set-up is pretty spot on, but I have changed set-up on one or two Naish's with great effect.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 01:25:27 PM »
Well, I've now got a chance to try something new.  I got pulled over the top of a head higher the other day, landed on my back on the board (upside down) at the bottom.  Took out a side bite and made a nice big "speed dip" in the bottom   :'(  Got greedy and went for a late drop, bumma!

VB

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »
I feel your pain bro.  I just bought a new board (2nd session on board) and I took off on a chest high wave that closed out; I went over the falls and my knee ended up putting a hole in the bottom of the board, along with a 5 inch crack.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:14:47 AM »
Bummer!  I would rather have a crack/hole that is easier to fix.  I have a 10-12" round dish shape pounded into the board (must have been my butt that did it!)... nearly impossible to fix.  At least we didn't get hurt!  Who would have guessed they built in crumple zones!  :P

VB

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 03:05:11 PM »
Have you taken it to a ding repair guy, to see what he says.  Sometimes they can perform some real magic to jacked-up boards.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »
What do you guys think?  a full set of H3's or a full set of PC-5's?  

They will all be the same size this way...  (all medium in size)

The H3's are a little smaller in area.  They say they have more drive and hold than the PC-5.

The PC-5 looks exactly like the stock sides from the given dimensions and outline.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:43:12 AM by sharksupper »

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 02:12:35 PM »
They had some PC-5's at the local shop, so I'm going to try them out.  They didn't have H3's to compare, but just about every other model, lots of options!

They are not the same fin as the stock sides though.

The PC-5 is:
-About the same area, but moved very slightly rearward
-A much thinner foil
-A shaped inside foil on the sides (stock are dead flat)
-Maybe a very slight bit stiffer
-Zero cant, while the stock Naish have a little

I'll report back once I ride them, I have to wait for a longboard adapter to get all three in.  I'm real curious how giving up 1" of depth (and lots of area) on the center is going to change the ride!  Lucky the shop said I could try a few sets, this will be a fun test!

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 02:29:31 PM »
Pics

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »
I finally got all three PC-5's on and rode it a couple times.  They work, but I think they're a bit on the small side.  They feel efficient, but in hard bottom turns they don't give much power out of the turn.  They also allow a bit more yaw when paddling, but it's doable.  I'm going to try a set of Large's and see how those go.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »
Update.  I returned the PC-5's and tried some FG-7's (large).  They were very light and had a thicker foil, so I thought they might Hold better and keep power in the turns.  Wrong!  They are also quite fexible, and they felt a bit soft in the bottom turn, and not very loose at the top.  I just traded the FG-7's for a set of GMB-5's (large), we'll see how those go.  I'm hoping the thinner foil will release better at the top, be more efficient in the bottom turn, and the increased area (over the PC5's) will hold and keep energy better.  I'm feeling like a fin whore!   :-*

Supperson

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 10:38:18 AM »
I recommend go with a thruster set up
all fins same size
u wont want to go back to a 2+1

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal